DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby The-Specs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If by section you mean ENRD, you do bid for specific sections (components) and you get interviewed by specific sections. You list the 3 components you want to be considered by, and they each decide whether they want to interview you. So you don't get interviewed by generic DOJ, you get interviewed by ENRD (if you lost ENRD as one of your components and they want to consider you further). And you will know who you're interviewing with before you have the interview. (That is, which component.)

Allegedly some components will only interview people who list them as their first choice (I have heard this about crim I think?). But I was ultimately hired by the component I listed third. Also got interviews with my first choice but was not hired by them.

(If you apply to EOIR and are interviewed by OCIJ for an immigration law clerkship, you will be given a list of possible locations to rank and then get offered one at OCIJ's discretion. But that's different from the overall program.)


Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I should have been clearer. By section, I do not mean components, I mean the traditional designations. DOJ is what I would call a department, ENRD is what I would call a division (like the Criminal Division, Civil Division, and Environmental and Natural Resource Division). By section I mean, Environmental Defense Section, Environmental Crimes, Environmental Enforcement Section, etc.

So, what I was getting at is that in, for example, the civil division, you bid the component but you then indicate which sections you are interested in (Civil Appeals, Federal Programs Branch, Immigration, etc.) and are hired into one of those specific sections when the offer is made (at least that is my understanding). But that is not the case for ENRD. You just apply to the division (or component if you like). It is only after you accept an offer from the division section hiring is determined.

I was just wondering about that post-offer, section-selection process. Hope that makes more sense.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Ah, gotcha, sorry not to understand that, I probably wasn't paying enough attention.

I've always assumed that if the specific section doesn't make the hire, you have possibility of moving around (i.e. the division isn't siloed off in the way that Civil is). But I can't swear to this - it comes to mind because I know others honors programs purposely rotate their hires round different sections to give them exposure to a variety of stuff, but don't know that ENRD does this.

But I think it's totally fair to ask this of interviewers if you get an interview, and you'd get an answer before you have to accept.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 am

Bump. Still haven't started my application. The fact that Sessions hasn't been fired yet does not help when looking for motivation.

grixxlybear99
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby grixxlybear99 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Still haven't started my application. The fact that Sessions hasn't been fired yet does not help when looking for motivation.


Dumb

charmonster
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:34 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby charmonster » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:46 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Still haven't started my application. The fact that Sessions hasn't been fired yet does not help when looking for motivation.


Dumb


Nice post history, bro. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you and OP disagree about most of this DOJ's enforcement priorities, so I don't really understand why you feel entitled to judge their ambivalence about the current admin.

grixxlybear99
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby grixxlybear99 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:17 pm

charmonster wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Still haven't started my application. The fact that Sessions hasn't been fired yet does not help when looking for motivation.


Dumb


Nice post history, bro. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you and OP disagree about most of this DOJ's enforcement priorities, so I don't really understand why you feel entitled to judge their ambivalence about the current admin.


If you or op don't want to apply to DOJ bc you don't like Jeff sessions, then don't. No one is going to force you to apply

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 27654
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:28 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:
charmonster wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Still haven't started my application. The fact that Sessions hasn't been fired yet does not help when looking for motivation.


Dumb


Nice post history, bro. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you and OP disagree about most of this DOJ's enforcement priorities, so I don't really understand why you feel entitled to judge their ambivalence about the current admin.


If you or op don't want to apply to DOJ bc you don't like Jeff sessions, then don't. No one is going to force you to apply

Good thing no one is claiming that, then.

grixxlybear99
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby grixxlybear99 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
charmonster wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Still haven't started my application. The fact that Sessions hasn't been fired yet does not help when looking for motivation.


Dumb


Nice post history, bro. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you and OP disagree about most of this DOJ's enforcement priorities, so I don't really understand why you feel entitled to judge their ambivalence about the current admin.


If you or op don't want to apply to DOJ bc you don't like Jeff sessions, then don't. No one is going to force you to apply

Good thing no one is claiming that, then.


Oh yeah? Tell me then, what are they claiming

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 27654
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:58 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
charmonster wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Still haven't started my application. The fact that Sessions hasn't been fired yet does not help when looking for motivation.


Dumb


Nice post history, bro. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you and OP disagree about most of this DOJ's enforcement priorities, so I don't really understand why you feel entitled to judge their ambivalence about the current admin.


If you or op don't want to apply to DOJ bc you don't like Jeff sessions, then don't. No one is going to force you to apply

Good thing no one is claiming that, then.


Oh yeah? Tell me then, what are they claiming

Come on, stop being an ass.

User avatar
jess
Posts: 17022
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby jess » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:10 am

Dipper wrote:Eligibility question -- website says "Applicants with multiple eligibility preserving activities can preserve their Honors Program eligibility up to three recruitment cycles after law school graduation." Recruitment cycle "opens July 31 and closes the Tuesday after Labor Day."

My reading of that is that if I graduate in May 2018, the first recruitment cycle after graduation would be July-September 2018, the second cycle would be July-September 2019, and the third recruitment cycle would be July-September 2020, which hires for a Summer/Fall 2021 start date. The last recruitment cycle I could participate in is July-September 2020. Does that sound right?

This is correct if you preserve eligibility through, e.g., a clerkship.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Still finishing these damn essays.

Every time I log on to Avue I wonder why something so terrible is allowed to exist.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am

Does anyone have an idea of what date we will find out if we are selected for an interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what date we will find out if we are selected for an interview?


Looks like, last year, interview selections began creeping out on 9/22, despite a scheduled release of 9/28.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=266971&start=75

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:41 am

Keep an eye on the forum/discussion thing on the avue site - the woman who administers this is usually great about giving updates and will give a heads up as to when interview notifications will go out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Keep an eye on the forum/discussion thing on the avue site - the woman who administers this is usually great about giving updates and will give a heads up as to when interview notifications will go out.


It was just posted that the interview selections should be out by 9/28.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Keep an eye on the forum/discussion thing on the avue site - the woman who administers this is usually great about giving updates and will give a heads up as to when interview notifications will go out.


It was just posted that the interview selections should be out by 9/28.

Oh good something to get anxious about. Not holding my breath though.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.