DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an offer yet or found out that they are a finalist? I was looking at previous top-law-schools threads and a few people seemed to have received offers during this week, although the majority of offers--especially from EOIR--were extended later in November. Getting nervous!!!

If you look at the community board on Avue it does look like finalist were designated for some components on Monday (11/14/16) last year which would mean that it could happen today. If anyone gets a finalist designation, offer, or references are checked please post!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an offer yet or found out that they are a finalist? I was looking at previous top-law-schools threads and a few people seemed to have received offers during this week, although the majority of offers--especially from EOIR--were extended later in November. Getting nervous!!!

If you look at the community board on Avue it does look like finalist were designated for some components on Monday (11/14/16) last year which would mean that it could happen today. If anyone gets a finalist designation, offer, or references are checked please post!

Now everyone will be constantly checking. :shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I am in a unique situation. I have received an offer before being designated a finalist because the office wants to gauge my interest in their office vs. other offices. I can tell you that finalist designations/formal offers will very likely begin today, at least for some civil offices.

Thanks for letting us know. I'm also hoping to hear from one of the Civil components. I know that they checked two of my references last Thursday (both references are DOJ employees), but my third reference (non-DOJ employee) never heard anything. I'm feeling anxious. Do you mind saying if you received an offer today or earlier in the process?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am in a unique situation. I have received an offer before being designated a finalist because the office wants to gauge my interest in their office vs. other offices. I can tell you that finalist designations/formal offers will very likely begin today, at least for some civil offices.

Thanks for letting us know. I'm also hoping to hear from one of the Civil components. I know that they checked two of my references last Thursday (both references are DOJ employees), but my third reference (non-DOJ employee) never heard anything. I'm feeling anxious. Do you mind saying if you received an offer today or earlier in the process?

I received an offer Friday, with an explanation that if i'm getting another offer from my other favorite office, it would likely be Monday. So I'm supposed to make a decision sometime today. I suppose my offer office could be incorrect, but he made it apparent that the offices are in contact and he seemed to confidently know the schedules of Civil offices moving forward.

I'm really sorry if this isn't accurate! just relaying what I was told Friday. He also said many offices submit their finalist designations today and tomorrow, so if not today, tomorrow and wednesday are big days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I received an offer Friday, with an explanation that if i'm getting another offer from my other favorite office, it would likely be Monday. So I'm supposed to make a decision sometime today. I suppose my offer office could be incorrect, but he made it apparent that the offices are in contact and he seemed to confidently know the schedules of Civil offices moving forward.

I'm really sorry if this isn't accurate! just relaying what I was told Friday. He also said many offices submit their finalist designations today and tomorrow, so if not today, tomorrow and wednesday are big days.

Thank you for clarifying--this was very helpful! Hoping to hear something from Civil today!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:53 am

Anyone else experience a component disappear?

deuceindc

Postby deuceindc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which components? You can PM me if you're not comfortable sharing publicly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else experience a component disappear?

what component disappeared?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:01 pm

What does it mean to be designated a finalist?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What does it mean to be designated a finalist?

It means that the component is still considering you for the position. A finalist designation can include people who will get offers and alternatives (people who may never get an offer). Alternatives come in handy when someone with an offer declines the position and the component issues another offer to an alternate. When you see a finalist designation there is no way to know if you are going to receive an offer or not but it does mean you are still being considered. Did you get a finalist designation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:23 pm

SLIP. AVUE status changed to "Finalist." EOIR-OCIJ.

Not sure if references have been checked. No contact from anyone yet. Anyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It means that the component is still considering you for the position. A finalist designation can include people who will get offers and alternatives (people who may never get an offer). Alternatives come in handy when someone with an offer declines the position and the component issues another offer to an alternate. When you see a finalist designation there is no way to know if you are going to receive an offer or not but it does mean you are still being considered. Did you get a finalist designation?

Is there an alternative to the "finalist" designation? E.g., "not selected"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:34 pm

No - your status just doesn’t change to finalist.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is there an alternative to the "finalist" designation? E.g., "not selected"?

You most likely will not see a change is status from "Selected for Interview" for a few weeks or more even after finalist are designated for your component(s). You can assume you are not going to be receiving an offer after Deana posts on Avue that finalist have been designated for your component and you are not one. There is a chance if the finalists (including alternates) all decline an offer and the component needs to designate more finalist (which is why your status will not change to not selected right away). Deana will eventually post on Avue that hiring is complete for each component and I believe your status may change after that to not selected or something similar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:53 pm

The suspense is killing me. I thought some finalist designations would come out today but I have not heard of any yet and the end of the business day is approaching.

cathernguyen

Postby cathernguyen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The suspense is killing me. I thought some finalist designations would come out today but I have not heard of any yet and the end of the business day is approaching.

I was designated as a finalist today. Changed sometime between last night and 12pm c/t today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:03 pm

cathernguyen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The suspense is killing me. I thought some finalist designations would come out today but I have not heard of any yet and the end of the business day is approaching.

I was designated as a finalist today. Changed sometime between last night and 12pm c/t today.

Do you mind saying what component (does not have to specific branch within the component if you are not comfortable with that)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Congrats on the finalist.....if anyone for Criminal Division Trial Attorney or OCIJ gets anything please let the thread know. I am anxiously awaiting also.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Does anyone know if for OCIJ they're staggering them a bit based on when the interview happened and whether they "checked the box" saying they'll go anywhere?

Possibly better way to phrase this: Those that did OCIJ and it's saying you're a finalist, when did you interview and did you check that damn box?

I know they are pretty through re references, and my friends that interviewed with them in the first week AND checked the box got references checked about 1.5 to 2 weeks after their interviews. I interviewed on the second to last day of the whole process and didn't check the box so I dunno.

This is stressful tea leave reading. :( :?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SLIP. AVUE status changed to "Finalist." EOIR-OCIJ.

Not sure if references have been checked. No contact from anyone yet. Anyone else?

Can you stay in the SLIP thread (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=283251&start=25)? You're giving those of us in the honors program conniptions.

A ton of people on the SLIP thread had it marked as finalist today. If you posted something on this thread about being a finalist and you are not in the post-grad honors program track please delete your post so people stop spazzing. And go to the above link instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if for OCIJ they're staggering them a bit based on when the interview happened and whether they "checked the box" saying they'll go anywhere?

Possibly better way to phrase this: Those that did OCIJ and it's saying you're a finalist, when did you interview and did you check that damn box?

I know they are pretty through re references, and my friends that interviewed with them in the first week AND checked the box got references checked about 1.5 to 2 weeks after their interviews. I interviewed on the second to last day of the whole process and didn't check the box so I dunno.

This is stressful tea leave reading. :( :?

OCIJ posted finalist today!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Still nothing. If anyone hears about CLB or OIL please update if you do not mind. I will do the same because I know the suspense is killing everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:31 pm

deuceindc wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which components? You can PM me if you're not comfortable sharing publicly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:32 pm

received an offer from CIV Torts. My status has not changed to finalist. So other people waiting on Torts, don't fret. I received an offer from a specific office within Torts, so not ALL Torts offices have made final choices I don't think.

Return to “Legal Employment”