DOJ Honors Program 2017-18 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:47 pm

Status changed to “Finalist” for Tax-Crim. Fingers crossed it turns into an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a general rule for odds after being named a finalist for EOIR that isn't OCIJ? Is this a stupid question? Don't worry you guys can tell me.
It depends the smaller offices in EOIR or other components do not always designate alternates right away and may only be designating finalist. Have your references been checked? Also do you mind saying if the finalist designation was for BIA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:54 pm

ugh last year they gave so many offers on the same day as designating people finalists. what is thisssssssssssssss

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there a general rule for odds after being named a finalist for EOIR that isn't OCIJ? Is this a stupid question? Don't worry you guys can tell me.
It depends the smaller offices in EOIR or other components do not always designate alternates right away and may only be designating finalist. Have your references been checked? Also do you mind saying if the finalist designation was for BIA?
My finalist designations were not for BIA - I didn't interview with them. Which of the offices are the "smaller" ones - some of them don't bother with alternates? And no, none of my references have been checked yet....bad news for me....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 pm

Has anyone who has been named a finalist for EOIR-OGC had their references checked?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
My finalist designations were not for BIA - I didn't interview with them. Which of the offices are the "smaller" ones - some of them don't bother with alternates? And no, none of my references have been checked yet....bad news for me....
A friend of one who interviewed with EOIR (not OCIJ) was told that the office does not do finalist like OCIJ does in the traditional sense where they designate people with primary offers and alternates because there is not such a large number that has to be filled with people declining because of location. I got the sense that it meant if you were a finalist you would get an offer but I am not positive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ugh last year they gave so many offers on the same day as designating people finalists. what is thisssssssssssssss
I know and it was posted on Avue what components have designated finalist which would be great to know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:ugh last year they gave so many offers on the same day as designating people finalists. what is thisssssssssssssss
I know and it was posted on Avue what components have designated finalist which would be great to know.
I think, as Deana said, this year is different because they are doing it piecemeal. I get the impression they did finalists in batches last year, whereas this year its piecemeal. This theory is further supported by the fact that my Comm Lit references got called today, while someone else's got called 2 weeks ago. I think it's very dependent on what individual specifically you interviewed with, what each office within a particular branch is doing, etc. so many moving parts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Do we know the likelihood of getting an offer as an OCIJ finalist? I know they include alternates as finalists but I have no sense of how many alternates they would have for 97 spots (or how likely it is to get an offer even if you are an alternate)...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Anyone hear anything from NSD yet? I can't get the shitty Avue site to load.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:45 pm

From DEANA

HP Finalist Posting Update
I know many of you are trying to track finalist postings, so here is an interim update. It's been hard to post updates this year, because the selections are coming in piecemeal.

I offer this info only as my personal assessment, and not as an absolute certainty. Take it with a grain of salt. I'll know more on Friday.

The components/offices listed below have NOT posted finalists (this is a 100% certainty):

ENRD
Civil Division-Consumer Protection Branch
Civil Division-Commercial Litigation Branch
Criminal Division-Asset Forfeiture Fellowship
EOIR-BIA
U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York

I think the components listed below have identified their HP finalists, but no guarantee that they won't add any between now and the weekend. None have notified OARM that their selections are complete unless annotated by the component name.

Antitrust
EOIR-OCIJ
EOIR-OGC
FBI
Tax-Civil
Tax-Criminal
Indian Country Fellowship
Civil-Appellate
Civil-Federal Program
Civil-OIL Appellate
Civil- OIL District Courts
U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona (hiring complete)
Criminal Division - Trial Attorneys

The components listed below have posted SOME finalists but at this point it is premature to assume that selections are 100% complete.

U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of California
Civil Rights Division
Drug Enforcement Administration
Civil-Federal Programs
Civil-Torts
EOIR-OCAHO
NSD

Best I can do for now. I'll update as soon as possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had their references contacted and/or been named a finalist for OIL-DC or OCAHO??
nope. OIL-DC got removed from my screen once I got selected as a finalist by other components. not sure if OIL-DC has moved the process along yet or we just aren't chosen haha.
Hey--I do know someone who received an OIL-DC offer, but I don't know if they have finished sending out their offers. I do know that their status was also changed to finalist first and they received a call the next day. Good luck to everyone. I hope this information helps you make any decisions you need to make.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:21 pm

I know one person already mentioned about criminal trial saying they received a phone call and now their status says offer accepted....is anyone else received a finalist notification for criminal trial?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 pm

EOIR.

Interviewed on Oct. 24.
(Some?) references contacted on Nov. 1.
Finalist designation on Nov. 8.
Offer made Nov. 14.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:00 pm

so nobody has heard of Fed P offers? (not helpful that Deana had FedP on two lists above...)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happyendings

New

Post by happyendings » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EOIR.

Interviewed on Oct. 24.
Offer made Nov. 14.
May I ask which component of EOIR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:24 pm

Has anyone actually seen a finalist designation/heard anything from Civil Rights?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone actually seen a finalist designation/heard anything from Civil Rights?
I haven't and neither has a friend who interviewed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:32 pm

happyendings wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:EOIR.

Interviewed on Oct. 24.
Offer made Nov. 14.
May I ask which component of EOIR?
Yea, "EOIR" generally when there are four separate components... is not specific.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do we know the likelihood of getting an offer as an OCIJ finalist? I know they include alternates as finalists but I have no sense of how many alternates they would have for 97 spots (or how likely it is to get an offer even if you are an alternate)...
I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to ask around, but I can't find much out. If you (or anyone else) figures this out, please let me know. And good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do we know the likelihood of getting an offer as an OCIJ finalist? I know they include alternates as finalists but I have no sense of how many alternates they would have for 97 spots (or how likely it is to get an offer even if you are an alternate)...
I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to ask around, but I can't find much out. If you (or anyone else) figures this out, please let me know. And good luck!
It is hard to put an exact figure on it. From experience the general indicators of getting a first round offer and not being an alternate is your references being checked (either before or immediately after you are designated a finalist). I have known people who were finalist both who got offers and those who never had their references checked and never received an offer. If you put willing to go anywhere you may stay in the running longer. Because for example if you only ranked five locations and a list is made up of all the candidates that OCIJ would like to give offers and you come near the bottom or middle of that list and all of the locations you choose have already been assigned then there is no chance an offer can be made to you. If you said you would go anywhere they can place you wherever this is an opening. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone the waiting can be hard with OCIJ since there are so many offers and the chance people decline.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:44 am

From Deana on Avue:

I just posted EOIR-BIA finalists. Good luck to all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 am

From Deana on Avue:

Civil Rights Division Met HP Hiring Goal

Greetings:

The Civil Rights Division advises that it met its hiring goals. I've updated Avue and sent notification messages to candidates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:02 am

It's scary that not a single CRT (offeree) person was following this thread. A lot less turn out this year than last. This thread likely isn't very accurate then with offers, reference checks, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It is hard to put an exact figure on it. From experience the general indicators of getting a first round offer and not being an alternate is your references being checked (either before or immediately after you are designated a finalist). I have known people who were finalist both who got offers and those who never had their references checked and never received an offer. If you put willing to go anywhere you may stay in the running longer. Because for example if you only ranked five locations and a list is made up of all the candidates that OCIJ would like to give offers and you come near the bottom or middle of that list and all of the locations you choose have already been assigned then there is no chance an offer can be made to you. If you said you would go anywhere they can place you wherever this is an opening. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone the waiting can be hard with OCIJ since there are so many offers and the chance people decline.
Have there been any first round OCIJ offers yet? This thread got confusing when SLIP was all over it so I'm not sure if there was ever a clear post about an Honors OCIJ offer...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”