DOJ Honors Program 2017-18 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 am

Another day of waiting!! Please post if there is any movement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 am

I know one of my references has been checked but the other two aren't responding to my emails...makes me anxious that DOJ can't get in touch with them either :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know one of my references has been checked but the other two aren't responding to my emails...makes me anxious that DOJ can't get in touch with them either :?
Is this for EOIR-OGC? I have heard if they can't reach your references they will contact you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know one of my references has been checked but the other two aren't responding to my emails...makes me anxious that DOJ can't get in touch with them either :?
Is this for EOIR-OGC? I have heard if they can't reach your references they will contact you.
OCIJ. I hope that's the case. I'm assuming EOIR is rolling out offers once reference requests are completed, so radio silence from my references is nerve-racking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OCIJ. I hope that's the case. I'm assuming EOIR is rolling out offers once reference requests are completed, so radio silence from my references is nerve-racking.
Yeah that is definitely frustrating. It could be because of the holiday it may be harder to reach references this week. Good luck to you and I hope you hear from them soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soph00000

New

Post by soph00000 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Offer from OCIJ
Same questions as above do you mind saying what court or what state even and if it was one of your choices for location? Congrats and finally some movement.
Thanks! Smaller Midwest court.. 1st preference.
Congrats!! Same question as above (but in case that person doesn't see): Did you get the email from the court itself or from EOIR generally? Just wondering if certain courts are making moves and not others.
Email from EOIR generally
A friend at my law school just got an offer yesterday for EOIR-OCIJ in Baltimore.

Should the rest of us assume if we don't hear in the next couple of days that we are alternates? I think my references were checked the day before my interview, so idk what else they would be waiting on. Could it also be first choice location offers come out before the others?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 am

Has anyone seen movement for OIL? Both DCS and Appellate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:49 am

soph00000 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Same questions as above do you mind saying what court or what state even and if it was one of your choices for location? Congrats and finally some movement.
Congrats!! Same question as above (but in case that person doesn't see): Did you get the email from the court itself or from EOIR generally? Just wondering if certain courts are making moves and not others.
A friend at my law school just got an offer yesterday for EOIR-OCIJ in Baltimore.

Should the rest of us assume if we don't hear in the next couple of days that we are alternates? I think my references were checked the day before my interview, so idk what else they would be waiting on. Could it also be first choice location offers come out before the others?
It's my understanding that they try to match their top candidates with their top locations first and then move down the list. So I think offers are very much made on a rolling basis.

I also think they wouldn't contact references unless they needed to. I would assume if you're an alternate (because you're not one of the top 97, not because all of your choices were already offered), they wouldn't contact references until they reached you on the list. That's just what I've heard, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah that is definitely frustrating. It could be because of the holiday it may be harder to reach references this week. Good luck to you and I hope you hear from them soon.
One reference's ears must have been ringing because I got an email saying they submitted a questionnaire! 2 down, 1 to go. Thank you and good luck to you too!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:52 am

soph00000 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would not assume so yet. In previous years I know people who were first round offers (because they had other offers and called the component contact to check their status) and did not hear back for almost 3 weeks after they became a finalist and their references checked with an offer. I believe they rank everyone they are going to make an offer to and start making offers to the people at the top of the list which would mean that those people are going to get one of their top choices. As the list starts getting to the middle/bottom if you said you were willing to go anywhere you will still be made an offer if you are not an alternate it just might take a little longer to get an offer to figure out what locations need someone. So I would not give up right now it takes some time for OCIJ if you look at past boards OCIJ finalists are typically the only ones still writing in December because the process takes the longest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone seen movement for OIL? Both DCS and Appellate.
Someone last week mentioned that they knew somebody who got an OIL-DC offer.

soph00000

New

Post by soph00000 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
soph00000 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's my understanding that they try to match their top candidates with their top locations first and then move down the list. So I think offers are very much made on a rolling basis.

I also think they wouldn't contact references unless they needed to. I would assume if you're an alternate (because you're not one of the top 97, not because all of your choices were already offered), they wouldn't contact references until they reached you on the list. That's just what I've heard, though.
Ah, okay. Thanks! This process is so nerve wracking. :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:57 am

I haven't heard of anyone having their references checked for non-OCIJ EOIR components (OGC, BIA, OCHAO) I wonder what is going on and if any offers or references have been checked from people not posting here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: A friend at my law school just got an offer yesterday for EOIR-OCIJ in Baltimore.

Ah, okay. Thanks! This process is so nerve wracking. :|
I think they try to dream up the most stressful approach they can fathom and then on top of that, move at a glacial pace :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:13 am

Soooo, I guess we aren't going to hear back until after the holidays?

soph00000

New

Post by soph00000 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Soooo, I guess we aren't going to hear back until after the holidays?

Cue incessant questioning from my family about what my post-grad plans are...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:29 am

soph00000 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Soooo, I guess we aren't going to hear back until after the holidays?

Cue incessant questioning from my family about what my post-grad plans are...
I've already graduated, but I'll def. get questions about whether I've heard back.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone seen movement for OIL? Both DCS and Appellate.
Someone last week mentioned that they knew somebody who got an OIL-DC offer.
I'm pretty sure all OIL-DCS offers went out last week. My status changed to Finalist last week for OIL Appellate, but haven't heard anything since. They also contacted 2/3 of my references before my status changed.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has any finalist for EOIR OGC heard anything? Had their references checked?
I'm listed as a Finalist for EOIR OGC. My references have not been checked. I thought I remembered seeing something earlier on the thread that OGC already made an offer to someone though...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has any finalist for EOIR OGC heard anything? Had their references checked?
I'm listed as a Finalist for EOIR OGC. My references have not been checked. I thought I remembered seeing something earlier on the thread that OGC already made an offer to someone though...
I am not either Anon above and am also a OGC finalist and have not had my references checked. I don't recall seeing anyone saying they had an offer though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am not either Anon above and am also a OGC finalist and have not had my references checked. I don't recall seeing anyone saying they had an offer though.
I am a finalist for BIA (EOIR) and I have also not had my references checked. I have not seen anyone of this board who has said they are also a finalist for BIA so it is hard for me to gauge if references have been checked for anyone or any offer have went out but it seems like non OCIJ components of EOIR are not having any movement unless offers have all been made to people not writing here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:41 pm

soph00000 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This might be too personal to ask, but if you hear that your friend turns Baltimore down, I would love to know.

soph00000

New

Post by soph00000 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
soph00000 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This might be too personal to ask, but if you hear that your friend turns Baltimore down, I would love to know.
I think it was her first choice, so it's a safe bet she will accept. I'll let you know if not!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:16 pm

soph00000 wrote: I think it was her first choice, so it's a safe bet she will accept. I'll let you know if not!
Well, thanks for the information, and congratulations to her!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Arlington is hiring for OCIJ?
It's not
Thanks. Can I ask how you know?
It wasn't listed as one of the offices hiring when ranking locations at the interview. They only list what offices are hiring. I also know an Arlington Immigration judge and asked him after my interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”