DOJ Honors Program 2017-18 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Listed as a finalist for OCIJ but my references still haven't been contacted, and my interviews were October 16/17. Wondering if this means I'm an alternate, or if EOIR is just slower with how many offers they're extending.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Listed as a finalist for OCIJ but my references still haven't been contacted, and my interviews were October 16/17. Wondering if this means I'm an alternate, or if EOIR is just slower with how many offers they're extending.
I think the general consensus here is that for the non-EOIR components, if you're a finalist and you haven't been contacted yet, you're an alternate. If you're a finalist for EOIR and you haven't been contacted/references haven't been checked, there's still hope because references are still being contacted according to this thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Listed as a finalist for OCIJ but my references still haven't been contacted, and my interviews were October 16/17. Wondering if this means I'm an alternate, or if EOIR is just slower with how many offers they're extending.
I think the general consensus here is that for the non-EOIR components, if you're a finalist and you haven't been contacted yet, you're an alternate. If you're a finalist for EOIR and you haven't been contacted/references haven't been checked, there's still hope because references are still being contacted according to this thread.
I wonder if it would be the same for non-OCIJ components within EOIR. From this board it does not look like anyone following has had references checked or an offer made for the other components in EOIR even though there are only a couple of spots being filled.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Deana's update:

HP Finalist Posting Update
I know many of you are trying to track finalist postings, so here is an interim update. It's been hard to post updates this year, because the selections are coming in piecemeal.

I offer this info only as my personal assessment, and not as an absolute certainty. Take it with a grain of salt. I'll know more on Friday.

The components/offices listed below have NOT posted finalists (this is a 100% certainty):

ENRD
Civil Division-Consumer Protection Branch
Civil Division-Commercial Litigation Branch
Criminal Division-Asset Forfeiture Fellowship
EOIR-BIA
U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York

I think the components listed below have identified their HP finalists, but no guarantee that they won't add any between now and the weekend. None have notified OARM that their selections are complete unless annotated by the component name.

Antitrust
EOIR-OCIJ
EOIR-OGC
FBI
Tax-Civil
Tax-Criminal
Indian Country Fellowship
Civil-Appellate
Civil-Federal Program
Civil-OIL Appellate
Civil- OIL District Courts
U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona (hiring complete)
Criminal Division - Trial Attorneys

The components listed below have posted SOME finalists but at this point it is premature to assume that selections are 100% complete.

U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of California
Civil Rights Division
Drug Enforcement Administration
Civil-Federal Programs
Civil-Torts
EOIR-OCAHO

Best I can do for now. I'll update as soon as possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Deana's update:

I know many of you are trying to track finalist postings, so here is an interim update. It's been hard to post updates this year, because the selections are coming in piecemeal.

I offer this info only as my personal assessment, and not as an absolute certainty. Take it with a grain of salt. I'll know more on Friday.

The components/offices listed below have NOT posted finalists (this is a 100% certainty):

ENRD
EOIR-BIA

I think the components listed below have identified their HP finalists, but no guarantee that they won't add any between now and the weekend. None have notified OARM that their selections are complete unless annotated by the component name.

Antitrust
EOIR-OCIJ
EOIR-OGC
FBI
Tax-Civil
Tax-Criminal
Civil-Appellate
Civil-Federal Program
Civil-OIL Appellate

The components listed below have posted SOME finalists but at this point it is premature to assume that selections are 100% complete.

Civil Rights Division
Civil-Federal Programs
Civil-Torts
EOIR-OCAHO

^^Old Post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Deana's update:

ENRD
EOIR-BIA

Antitrust
EOIR-OCIJ
EOIR-OGC
FBI
Tax-Civil
Tax-Criminal
Civil-Appellate
Civil-Federal Program
Civil-OIL Appellate

Civil Rights Division
Civil-Federal Programs
Civil-Torts
EOIR-OCAHO

This is the update from November 15th. It just bumped up in the board because someone replied to it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:59 pm

No offers today for any components?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Does anyone have any insights into which courts (OCIJ) are likely to hire multiple clerks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Just got the bad news email...no longer in the running for CRM Trial. Im still live for OCIJ, references have been checked fingers crossed! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the bad news email...no longer in the running for CRM Trial. Im still live for OCIJ, references have been checked fingers crossed! :)
Are you saying fingers crossed references have been checked? Or references have been checked and fingers crossed for a call? Lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insights into which courts (OCIJ) are likely to hire multiple clerks?
It is typically the courts in the bigger cities that take multiple clerks (Miami, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles) because there are more judges at those courts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:55 pm

just got the rejection email for OCIJ

was not named a finalist (avue now reflects that as well)

good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the bad news email...no longer in the running for CRM Trial. Im still live for OCIJ, references have been checked fingers crossed! :)
Were you a finalist for CRM Trial?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are you saying fingers crossed references have been checked? Or references have been checked and fingers crossed for a call? Lol
LOL. Found out last week that my references have been contacted. At this point its stand by and wait anxiously for coach to put me in!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Were you a finalist for CRM Trial?
My status never changed, went a whole week with just the finalist for OCIJ and I just got the email a little while ago that I am no longer being considered for CRM Trial. Oh well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LOL. Found out last week that my references have been contacted. At this point its stand by and wait anxiously for coach to put me in!
Do you mind me asking you when your interview was?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insights into which courts (OCIJ) are likely to hire multiple clerks?
I know that Chicago has already hired at least two law clerks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:34 pm

My interviews for both OCIJ and CRM were on Oct. 20th

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 pm

If anyone wants to ask me questions about OCIJ, I am a previous HP participant. Otherwise, keep up hope! It takes weeks to extend offers for OCIJ. I got my offer in November, but I know of people who received offers in February.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone wants to ask me questions about OCIJ, I am a previous HP participant. Otherwise, keep up hope! It takes weeks to extend offers for OCIJ. I got my offer in November, but I know of people who received offers in February.
Thank you for this!!! This is the first piece of hope I've received lol I was starting to freak out that my references hadn't been contacted. Fingers are still crossed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:13 am

FWIW my interviewer for OCIJ told me first-choice round offers typically go through mid. dec., and alternates can go through feb.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone wants to ask me questions about OCIJ, I am a previous HP participant. Otherwise, keep up hope! It takes weeks to extend offers for OCIJ. I got my offer in November, but I know of people who received offers in February.
Do you have any knowledge of the hiring practice of the non OCIJ EOIR components such as OGC, BIA etc. when offers are typically issued after finalist designations or how many finalists there are per spot. Seems like from this board those who are finalist for EOIR (non OCIJ) haven't had there references checked yet or extended an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:46 am

"Partial HP Hiring Update

Greetings,

The following hiring offices have met their hiring goals:

U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Arizona

Civil Rights Division

Deana Willis"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am

Last day we will probably hear something this week because of the holiday. Please post if you get an offer or have your references checked!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Last day we will probably hear something this week because of the holiday. Please post if you get an offer or have your references checked!
Feel like I could vomit

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”