DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know there are two positions open in Baltimore because I interned there recently and there are two outgoing clerks. I also did see that someone had received the offer from Baltimore, but I don't know about the other opening. When I received my offer they gave me until December 26th to confirm or decline, so I think that means there could still be hope if the person who was offered that position declines. (I'm assuming an offer has gone out.)



Thanks, I appreciate the information. I also assume the second offer has gone out by now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:32 pm

I really wish Deana would post an update about where OCIJ is in the offer process...

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I really wish Deana would post an update about where OCIJ is in the offer process...


Well someone agreed with me and just posted on the Avue community board, so hopefully Deana answers with some detail :lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Any movement on OGC or OCAHO in EOIR? Anyone have references checked yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:52 pm

I got an offer from the Los Angeles Immigration Court.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer from the Los Angeles Immigration Court.


Congrats, was it your first choice? L.A is in my top 5 and just curious where things stand. Also, are you from the West Coast and what time today did you get the offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer from the Los Angeles Immigration Court.


Mind sharing when you interviewed and when and if your references were checked?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer from the Los Angeles Immigration Court.


Mind sharing when you interviewed and when and if your references were checked?


I interviewed October 30, 2017, and I have no idea when my references were checked. I never asked my contacts.

Answering the post above, LA was actually my second choice; I ranked four courts. I am from the West Coast, but I go to school in the Midwest. I got my offer 2:05 PM CT.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer from the Los Angeles Immigration Court.


Mind sharing when you interviewed and when and if your references were checked?


I interviewed October 30, 2017, and I have no idea when my references were checked. I never asked my contacts.

Answering the post above, LA was actually my second choice; I ranked four courts. I am from the West Coast, but I go to school in the Midwest. I got my offer 2:05 PM CT.


Thanks for the reply congrats again on the offer! I assume you are taking it! :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:55 pm

Is it unheard of to get an offer before having references checked? Because I was interviewed on October 17, am a finalist, but my references still haven't been contacted. Makes no sense to me. :|

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it unheard of to get an offer before having references checked? Because I was interviewed on October 17, am a finalist, but my references still haven't been contacted. Makes no sense to me. :|


Were you interviewed by OCIJ or someone else?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it unheard of to get an offer before having references checked? Because I was interviewed on October 17, am a finalist, but my references still haven't been contacted. Makes no sense to me. :|


Were you interviewed by OCIJ or someone else?

OCIJ

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi all, I just got my offer for OCIJ today and can confirm that my references were not checked (I just asked them). Not sure why, but I’m not complaining.

Just wanted to give hope to those who were giving up because their references weren’t checked yet - it might be a court-by-court, person-by-person decision to check references or not.

Also got my 2nd rated court. I was just giving up hope and actually submitted an application yesterday for a summer position that I can now withdraw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, I just got my offer for OCIJ today and can confirm that my references were not checked (I just asked them). Not sure why, but I’m not complaining.

Just wanted to give hope to those who were giving up because their references weren’t checked yet - it might be a court-by-court, person-by-person decision to check references or not.

Also got my 2nd rated court. I was just giving up hope and actually submitted an application yesterday for a summer position that I can now withdraw.


Congrats on the offer! Do you mind sharing what court you were selected for and when you interviewed? Also, out of curiosity what was your first choice?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, I just got my offer for OCIJ today and can confirm that my references were not checked (I just asked them). Not sure why, but I’m not complaining.

Just wanted to give hope to those who were giving up because their references weren’t checked yet - it might be a court-by-court, person-by-person decision to check references or not.

Also got my 2nd rated court. I was just giving up hope and actually submitted an application yesterday for a summer position that I can now withdraw.


Congrats! Thanks for giving us all a little hope. :)

I am also waiting for Non-OCIJ and haven't heard ANYTHING.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer from the Los Angeles Immigration Court.

did they tell you which one? there are two.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:40 am

Have all BIA offers been made already?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Yesterday I received an offer from the Omaha Immigration Court. My references were checked on Monday (Nov 27th). I checked the box but also ranked Omaha on my top 10.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yesterday I received an offer from the Omaha Immigration Court. My references were checked on Monday (Nov 27th). I checked the box but also ranked Omaha on my top 10.


Awesome! Congrats.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have all BIA offers been made already?


Not sure. Just saw one person get an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on OGC or OCAHO in EOIR? Anyone have references checked yet?


Still no word. I was designated as a finalist, but no references checked yet. Anyone else? Not feeling too great at this point--especially because they are hiring for one position. Seems unlikely they haven't made any reference checks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer from the Los Angeles Immigration Court.

did they tell you which one? there are two.


It only specified Los Angeles.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, I just got my offer for OCIJ today and can confirm that my references were not checked (I just asked them). Not sure why, but I’m not complaining.

Just wanted to give hope to those who were giving up because their references weren’t checked yet - it might be a court-by-court, person-by-person decision to check references or not.

Also got my 2nd rated court. I was just giving up hope and actually submitted an application yesterday for a summer position that I can now withdraw.


This is great news! Congrats to you. Would you mind sharing what court and when you interviewed?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Does anyone have any idea which courts for OCIJ get filled first? I wish they shared how this process worked... I've heard a lot of midwest courts giving offers, some big cities (Chicago, LA) but haven't heard anyone getting offers in places like NYC.

I'm wondering if there's a method to this madness. :shock:

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any idea which courts for OCIJ get filled first? I wish they shared how this process worked... I've heard a lot of midwest courts giving offers, some big cities (Chicago, LA) but haven't heard anyone getting offers in places like NYC.

I'm wondering if there's a method to this madness. :shock:


There's no method. It's all completely random and slow. One slot at a time, doesn't matter the court.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.