Most extravagant firm for summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SmokeytheBear

Re: Most extravagant firm for summer?

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:49 pm

1styearlateral wrote:As someone who didn't summer in NYC biglaw, how do associates deal with going to these SA events and working the long hours?

The events are purely optional for associates. It varies by firm, but some events are limited to certain practice groups at some firms and at other firms anyone can go to anything so long as they have RSVPed before the cutoff. There is an understanding that if shit flares up and you need to miss it, not a big deal. But usually the events are pretty fun with all the stops pulled out.

It's also summer, so YOLO you know. You're just a little rough around the edges the next morning. If I werent waking up hungover on a Wednesday from a summer event the night prior, I'd probably be waking up hungover on my own volition.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:As someone who didn't summer in NYC biglaw, how do associates deal with going to these SA events and working the long hours?

Summers don't do any work.

Yeah I didn't really have "long hours" as a summer

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:45 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Question was about associates, not SAs

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:49 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:

The events are purely optional for associates. It varies by firm, but some events are limited to certain practice groups at some firms and at other firms anyone can go to anything so long as they have RSVPed before the cutoff. There is an understanding that if shit flares up and you need to miss it, not a big deal. But usually the events are pretty fun with all the stops pulled out.

It's also summer, so YOLO you know. You're just a little rough around the edges the next morning. If I werent waking up hungover on a Wednesday from a summer event the night prior, I'd probably be waking up hungover on my own volition.

I've definitely noticed a bit of a rotation of associates showing up to things with a couple regulars who just really like to party. I think that's how the firm balances actually getting stuff done with showing the SAs "look, you can still have fun as an associate!"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland NY. There's a $150 per person dinner budget every night of the week, on top of daily lunch budget, all in addition to the typical two events a week (shows, baseball games, booze cruises, etc.). That's the answer.

Sincerely jealous.

Pyrex

Postby Pyrex » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:13 am

What about married associates? Do people bring their wives/husbands/gf/bf to these kinds of events?

1styearlateral

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:04 am

SmokeytheBear wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Question was about associates, not SAs

Yes, thanks.

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Pyrex wrote:What about married associates? Do people bring their wives/husbands/gf/bf to these kinds of events?

Every firm handles it differently. My former firm there were no +1s to anything. My current firm +1s are specifically invited to certain events, whole families specifically invited to other events, while most events are specifically indicated as attorneys only.

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Guyssssssss on a super boring conference call right now. Can I please get some detes on other firms models and bottles policies? Something to make this call mas caliente.

BulletTooth

Postby BulletTooth » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 pm

UVA2B wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

I've definitely noticed a bit of a rotation of associates showing up to things with a couple regulars who just really like to party. I think that's how the firm balances actually getting stuff done with showing the SAs "look, you can still have fun as an associate!"

Yes, there's always a few associates who aren't swamped and can spare a few hours. These events are planned out weeks in advance as well, so associates know what their schedule is like and can plan accordingly. That said, it's usually the first-, second-, or third-year associates showing up at most events--not the more senior associates.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:17 pm

BulletTooth wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Yes, there's always a few associates who aren't swamped and can spare a few hours. These events are planned out weeks in advance as well, so associates know what their schedule is like and can plan accordingly. That said, it's usually the first-, second-, or third-year associates showing up at most events--not the more senior associates.

Lol at associates knowing what their schedule will be like a few weeks in advance

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:28 pm

If this is your primary consideration, I think you just want to avoid firms where SAs have working summers. These places still have great events, but there are some firms where you're expected to put a good amount of work in. If you're just trying to blend in, be non offensive and have fun bigger class size is probably better.

androstan

Postby androstan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Summering at a big market NYC firm was like dreamland. Wish I had savored it more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:00 pm

BulletTooth wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:You should go for Cravath, I heard they party until late every night of the week...

Cravath does throw down for its summers. Like most NY firms, summers are allowed to go to two lunches per week with a $70 limit per person. This also does not include lunches that partners take the summers on. There are a number of summer events; almost 2 per week. These events can range from going to a partner's house in the Hamptons, golfing, skeet shooting, boating events etc.

This is probably comparable to what most NY firms do but with a bit more flash. Be warned, that there may be times when you get slammed with work and have no chance of going to any of these events--but your workload is totally dependent on the partner you get...

Two lunches a week for summers, wow! Sounds like a balling summer

Yugihoe

Postby Yugihoe » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I summered at an NYC V10 that I didn't return to. From talking to my school classmates, SA-coworkers' classmates, and younger associates, it sounded like Cravath has the reputation for most extravagant summer. I also heard the correlation someone cited above: the more fun the summer, the more painful the eventual working life. Obviously can't confirm, and definitely wouldn't make any life decisions based on anything ITT.

Hello Cravath Recruiting team.

Cravath is NOT fun lol and no, "the more fun the summer, the more painful eventual working life will be" is the dumbest excuse I've ever heard.

You're going to be working incredibly hard anyway as an associate - it's not like summers are caught by surprise or think that their SA experience is actually indicative of what their real experience will be. So you might as well as enjoy it. I'm not saying don't go to Cravath. There's a multitude of other reasons for going to a top firm, but if you're looking for a fun summer AND nothing else, that would be incredibly wrong.

ETA: Also an incredible amount of anon abuse on this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:15 pm

I've heard Quinn will throw as much money as you want at meals etc., but given the fact they only have a couple SAs now they don't do any events.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:You should go for Cravath, I heard they party until late every night of the week...

Cravath does throw down for its summers. Like most NY firms, summers are allowed to go to two lunches per week with a $70 limit per person. This also does not include lunches that partners take the summers on. There are a number of summer events; almost 2 per week. These events can range from going to a partner's house in the Hamptons, golfing, skeet shooting, boating events etc.

This is probably comparable to what most NY firms do but with a bit more flash. Be warned, that there may be times when you get slammed with work and have no chance of going to any of these events--but your workload is totally dependent on the partner you get...

I'm assuming that was sarcasm? Two lunches a week? What do summers do on the other 3 days? Sad!

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:

I'm assuming that was sarcasm? Two lunches a week? What do summers do on the other 3 days? Sad!

I forgot how to use my credit card during my summer.

Love With The Coco

Postby Love With The Coco » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:

Cravath summers just marinate in their prestige while everyone else is forced to go to lunches. Poor V10 suckers

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Yeah I never paid for lunch during my summer. I think daily lunches are the norm in NYC.

sadpandayolo

Postby sadpandayolo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Yeah I never paid for lunch during my summer. I think daily lunches are the norm in NYC.

Same. At a DC firm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I summered at an NYC V10 that I didn't return to. From talking to my school classmates, SA-coworkers' classmates, and younger associates, it sounded like Cravath has the reputation for most extravagant summer. I also heard the correlation someone cited above: the more fun the summer, the more painful the eventual working life. Obviously can't confirm, and definitely wouldn't make any life decisions based on anything ITT.

CSM definitely doesn't have the most extravagant summer. They offer one of the weaker lunch budgets and have fewer events than peers. You'll also spend a lot more time working. If you want a money summer in NY, Paul Weiss and SullCrom will both spend out the ass; as others have said, Latham and Kirkland are always quality choices.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland NY. There's a $150 per person dinner budget every night of the week, on top of daily lunch budget, all in addition to the typical two events a week (shows, baseball games, booze cruises, etc.). That's the answer.

Sincerely jealous.

Kirkland has a somewhat deserved reputation as a rough place to work for associates, but I'll say this for the firm: they're not cheap.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:11 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:That's the point. At pretty much any other firm a summer would not be expected to miss an event for work, let alone really work late at all. In fact at my firm a SA would probably get reprimanded for working instead of going to an event

This was not at all the case in at the V100 where I summered in DC some years back. It was a fun summer, we went to a ton of lunches, happy hours, and firm events, but it was also made crystal clear that work and deadlines took precedence over all.

At the same time, it was also made clear that frequently missing events and trainings for work was considered a negative, as it betrayed an inability to manage time, especially since we had a measure of control over the workflow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:28 pm

DPW has a ton of awesome events planned and a market meal policy. Budgets go out the door if a partner comes to the meal (I've heard of very large bills being racked up at dinners with 1 or 2 partners). But honestly, SAs get a decent amount of work and, at least for me, it's been hard to fully take advantage of it all. If the choice is between missing lunch at Jean Georges or going home at 9:30 PM because you were out of office for 3 hours mid day, I'm choosing the former. Others might disagree. Other summers might also be less busy. The intensity of work assignments is sorta luck of the draw, especially with corporate work, which is often more time sensitive.

Return to “Legal Employment”