Most extravagant firm for summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Most extravagant firm for summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Just wondering if anyone has recommendations on the firms that pull out the most stops/spend the most/provide the most fun for their summers.

Poor way of picking a firm for full time I know but assuming one has an offer from 1L year or is splitting with a 100% offer firm, anyone have any recommendations for a fun 2L summer experience?

PvblivsScipio

Re: Most extravagant firm for summer?

Postby PvblivsScipio » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Excuse me, the correct term is MODELS AND BOTTLES

Mr. Blackacre

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:50 pm

You should go for Cravath, I heard they party until late every night of the week...

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering if anyone has recommendations on the firms that pull out the most stops/spend the most/provide the most fun for their summers.

Poor way of picking a firm for full time I know but assuming one has an offer from 1L year or is splitting with a 100% offer firm, anyone have any recommendations for a fun 2L summer experience?

I can't believe I am even engaging this conversation . . . but we haven't had fun on here since CovingTTTon slow played $180.

So, let's dance.

What cities are you thinking about?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Kirkland and Latham.

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Pokemon wrote:Kirkland and Latham.

Ah yes that ol' rule of thumb. How awesome your life as a summer is is equal to but opposite of how awesome your life as an associate will be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:20 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering if anyone has recommendations on the firms that pull out the most stops/spend the most/provide the most fun for their summers.

I can't believe I am even engaging this conversation . . . but we haven't had fun on here since CovingTTTon slow played $180.

So, let's dance.

any city that pays market really. i was thinking that NYC in general would be the most opulent but seeing if there are any objections to that statement. LA seems like it could be fun with the whole west coast/hollywood reputation and DC seems like it would lend well to nonchalant expenditure but I'm open to perspectives

duly noted

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

So, let's dance.

any city that pays market really. i was thinking that NYC in general would be the most opulent but seeing if there are any objections to that statement. LA seems like it could be fun with the whole west coast/hollywood reputation and DC seems like it would lend well to nonchalant expenditure but I'm open to perspectives

duly noted

Generally speaking . . .

There are a lot more random happy hours at NYC offices, which aligns with the basic maxim of life in general that there are a lot more happy hour excursions in NYC in general due to density and proximity to bars.

I do know that the big firms in LA all do some kind of assortment of weekend trips to Catalina, Vegas, and Santa Barbara wine country, as well as the standard box at a Sparks game/suite at a Dodgers game. Quinn used to have summers of legend that will be talked about for years . . . but no more.

My firm (LA office of NYC firm) has a lower lunch budget than the NYC office, but we have more events than the NYC office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:48 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

So, let's dance.

duly noted

Generally speaking . . .

There are a lot more random happy hours at NYC offices, which aligns with the basic maxim of life in general that there are a lot more happy hour excursions in NYC in general due to density and proximity to bars.

I do know that the big firms in LA all do some kind of assortment of weekend trips to Catalina, Vegas, and Santa Barbara wine country, as well as the standard box at a Sparks game/suite at a Dodgers game. Quinn used to have summers of legend that will be talked about for years . . . but no more.

My firm (LA office of NYC firm) has a lower lunch budget than the NYC office, but we have more events than the NYC office.

oh cool, that makes a lot of sense actually. do you remember which firms do the vegas trips in particular?

favabeansoup

Postby favabeansoup » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Yeah I've always heard of the West Coast offices (LA/Bay Area) doing more "fun" events than other cities.

I mean happy hours and free expensive dinners are great and all, but after 5-6 of them they can get a little stale. That seems to be the norm in a lot of other markets, maybe a sports game or something else thrown in. Doing a trip to Catalina or wine country sounds like an absolute blast to me.

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:39 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:

Ah yes that ol' rule of thumb. How awesome your life as a summer is is equal to but opposite of how awesome your life as an associate will be.

Newton's Third BigLaw?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:31 am

Clifford Chance will gurantee you get to go abroad, but the tradeoff is you spent your summer surrounded by shitty people in a failing firm that sucks

jhett

Postby jhett » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:27 am

I summered on both coasts.

East coast: many expensive lunches/ dinners, lots of drinking and partying into the night. Occasional exclusive events in fancy locations, rarely get out of the city.

West coast: golfing, Napa tour, surfing, spa day by the beach, trips up/down to SF/LA. Meals weren't as fancy.

So, pick your poison.

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

So, let's dance.

duly noted

Generally speaking . . .

oh cool, that makes a lot of sense actually. do you remember which firms do the vegas trips in particular?

I think any firm you go to in LA, if you say you want to do a Vegas trip you'll find enough associates and SAs who will organize one with you. I know a couple firms used to do official Vegas trips, but they rolled them back because of both (i) the obvious shenanigans that happen in Vegas and (ii) Vegas doesnt really allow for a good group experience, as some people will want to go to shows, some will want to go to play games, some will want to drink, some will want to shop . . . so everyone is all over the place.

BulletTooth

Postby BulletTooth » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:You should go for Cravath, I heard they party until late every night of the week...

Cravath does throw down for its summers. Like most NY firms, summers are allowed to go to two lunches per week with a $70 limit per person. This also does not include lunches that partners take the summers on. There are a number of summer events; almost 2 per week. These events can range from going to a partner's house in the Hamptons, golfing, skeet shooting, boating events etc.

This is probably comparable to what most NY firms do but with a bit more flash. Be warned, that there may be times when you get slammed with work and have no chance of going to any of these events--but your workload is totally dependent on the partner you get...

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:29 pm

BulletTooth wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:You should go for Cravath, I heard they party until late every night of the week...

Cravath does throw down for its summers. Like most NY firms, summers are allowed to go to two lunches per week with a $70 limit per person. This also does not include lunches that partners take the summers on. There are a number of summer events; almost 2 per week. These events can range from going to a partner's house in the Hamptons, golfing, skeet shooting, boating events etc.

This is probably comparable to what most NY firms do but with a bit more flash. Be warned, that there may be times when you get slammed with work and have no chance of going to any of these events--but your workload is totally dependent on the partner you get...

That's the point. At pretty much any other firm a summer would not be expected to miss an event for work, let alone really work late at all. In fact at my firm a SA would probably get reprimanded for working instead of going to an event

Mr. Blackacre

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:54 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:

That's the point. At pretty much any other firm a summer would not be expected to miss an event for work, let alone really work late at all. In fact at my firm a SA would probably get reprimanded for working instead of going to an event

Emphasis on "throw down" lol. The way people I know described their experience slaving away summering at Cravath, it clearly doesn't compare to other NYC firms. But I guess if you like work you won't be able to tell the difference.

As with Trebek, at my firm an SA would get yelled at for working and missing out on a summer event. In fact, summers would also get yelled out for staying past 6 on any day of the week.

//

To seriously answer the question though, assuming that you wouldn't want to come back and that you're only doing 2L summer for the money / fun (must be nice going to HYS...), I think jhett's answer is the best. East Coast / West Coast have different vibes and conceptions of what qualifies as "fun" / "extravagant." I'm less into partying and more into cool / chill activities, so I'd probably pick the SF / SV office of a known joke summer firm like Latham.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Weil goes pretty hard for the summers imo. Typically a different department/group happy hour every night of the week and don't really need to be interested in it to go, standard expensive lunches, etc., but most extravagant thing last year was getting 4 suites at met life for beyonce stocked with a f*^# of food and top shelf booze :D can only imagine how much that ran them

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Weil goes pretty hard for the summers imo. Typically a different department/group happy hour every night of the week and don't really need to be interested in it to go, standard expensive lunches, etc., but most extravagant thing last year was getting 4 suites at met life for beyonce stocked with a f*^# of food and top shelf booze :D can only imagine how much that ran them

They had 8 suites at Barclays for the weeknd this year

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:56 pm

I summered at an NYC V10 that I didn't return to. From talking to my school classmates, SA-coworkers' classmates, and younger associates, it sounded like Cravath has the reputation for most extravagant summer. I also heard the correlation someone cited above: the more fun the summer, the more painful the eventual working life. Obviously can't confirm, and definitely wouldn't make any life decisions based on anything ITT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Kirkland NY. There's a $150 per person dinner budget every night of the week, on top of daily lunch budget, all in addition to the typical two events a week (shows, baseball games, booze cruises, etc.). That's the answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:37 pm

satellite offices 100% don't frat

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland NY. There's a $150 per person dinner budget every night of the week, on top of daily lunch budget, all in addition to the typical two events a week (shows, baseball games, booze cruises, etc.). That's the answer.

Ah it feels good to be post-post-recession.

1styearlateral

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:45 pm

As someone who didn't summer in NYC biglaw, how do associates deal with going to these SA events and working the long hours?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:48 pm

1styearlateral wrote:As someone who didn't summer in NYC biglaw, how do associates deal with going to these SA events and working the long hours?

Summers don't do any work.

Return to “Legal Employment”