Bottom of Class at T14 -- Chance at NYC Big Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bottom of Class at T14 -- Chance at NYC Big Law?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Near the bottom of my class at a T14 (think MVP). Do I have any shot whatsoever at a 2L SA in NYC big law? I interview pretty well, am URM, and have ~5 years of law firm work experience. Can these factors overcome the bad grades?

Nagster5

Re: Bottom of Class at T14 -- Chance at NYC Big Law?

Postby Nagster5 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Near the bottom of my class at a T14 (think MVP). Do I have any shot whatsoever at a 2L SA in NYC big law? I interview pretty well, am URM, and have ~5 years of law firm work experience. Can these factors overcome the bad grades?

Yes, MM everyone and hustle like crazy. Practice interviewing. Leverage your URM status/UG/WE/anything else you can think of to get in front of people who might be able to get your foot in the door. There are great networking and MM guides at the top of the forum, read and abide.

Caveat: just because it's possible doesn't mean you should bank on it. Apply everywhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:02 pm

I was bottom of my class in a T6, URM, with 3 years of work experience (though in finance), and converted 9/23 screeners into call backs and had multiple offers.

Note: I MM like 50+ firms but didn't get even one interview through that. You should still do it for peace of mind.

deepseapartners

Postby deepseapartners » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:37 pm

If your career services is any good, they will be able to help you construct a bid list that will maximize your chances at getting an offer. If they aren't, make a bid list and submit it to your school's OCI thread for feedback from people who have done this before.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:19 pm

What GPA?

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:55 pm

URM's typically do very well. You have a decent chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:20 pm

OP here - thanks all. GPA is 2.95 (it hurts to even write). Should I add anything in my cover letters about my performance (was going through a major health crisis) or just try to focus on the positive/what I can contribute to the firm?

HillandHollow

Postby HillandHollow » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here - thanks all. GPA is 2.95 (it hurts to even write). Should I add anything in my cover letters about my performance (was going through a major health crisis) or just try to focus on the positive/what I can contribute to the firm?

Did you have to leave school for a period of time that shows up on your transcript?
Even with that, probably the latter.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Its possible, but not guaranteed. Below 3.0 will be difficult for most firms to stomach. Prepare an extremely conservative bidlist that includes especially firms with connections to the URM affinity groups at your school (those that donate to BLSA, for example) and mass mail the NLJ250, not just the V100

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:34 am

I posted this in another thread. Might give you some perspective even though you're at a better school.

Return to “Legal Employment”