Q About Email in Response to Pre-OCI Submission

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Q About Email in Response to Pre-OCI Submission

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:58 pm

I sent a firm my materials, saying that I was planning to bid high of them for OCI but would love to be considered if they are interviewing candidates before OCI, and I got the following response:

Dear XXX,
Thank you for your interest in XXX. We will be participating in [your school's OCI]. We encourage you to sign-up to meet with one of our recruiting teams. We would love to meet you. If you’d like to speak with one of our XXX recruiters prior to that day by phone, we will gladly arrange for you.
We wish you all the best with the recruiting process.

I translated this as: just wait until OCI. Is it worth following up on the offer to meet with a recruiter on the phone, or is that just a courtesy so that I can ask general question about the firm?

varcom24

New

Re: Q About Email in Response to Pre-OCI Submission

Postby varcom24 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:30 pm

To me it sounds like it's probably a courtesy offer for you to ask questions to the recruiting people. "Recruiting people" probably meaning the ppl who work in the recruiting office, not actual attorneys on the hiring committee. That's not bad news – sounds like they'd be happy to answer any questions (they generally are) and as long as you are polite/not too awkward you can't really do any wrong by talking with them. That being said, there isn't much to be gained there so no need to ask questions just to appear interested.

If you don't actually have any questions, i'd just respond and let them know you'll definitely sign up for an OCI interview when the time comes. It sounds like based on their quick look at your materials they think you'll have a shot at an OCI slot, but it's worth noting that nothing is official until the firm has a chance to look at all applicants from your school.

Return to “Legal Employment?