C&F - What do you tell people?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

C&F - What do you tell people?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Those whose applications have been delayed or denied due to C&F issue, what do you tell people? How do you deal with this while networking or even on social media like linkedin?

I am dealing with this myself and while I have a good legal job that uses my qualifications (I am not a K-JD and have substantial experience and credentials for the position), the fact that I am a couple of years removed from graduation without a license tends to prompt questions. So either I let people believe that I failed the bar, or I tell them that I passed but had/have C&F issues. Neither is ideal for forming professional connections. Without getting into details, in my professional narrative, it doesn't make sense that I would go to law school but not take the bar, so saying that I didn't take it, doesn't help - they will simply think I took it and failed. Also, this is a reach but anyone who is so inclined can google me and see my name on the list of passing candidates for my state.

In any event, I hope to be admitted in another year or two. Until then, I have no idea how to deal with this. Has anyone else been in this situation?

raptors_delight

New

Re: C&F - What do you tell people?

Postby raptors_delight » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:15 pm

I can't imagine this comes up that often. I can't think of a single time in a professional where anyone who wasn't him/herself in the process of getting admitted has asked me whether I'm admitted (although I guess that could be because it's assumed). If it does come up, I'd just say you haven't actively pursued it because you've been too focused on work to bother with the hassle and there hasn't been pressure to get admitted (if that would make sense in your situation). I don't think I'd question that if someone told me that (unless it was wildly inconsistent with his or her professional situation).

Edited to say that I'm sorry you have to go through this. It must be pretty stressful.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Postby Vincent Adultman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:40 pm

What in the world is delaying your C&F certification by years?

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:52 am

I guess if it were me I would address the situation like this:

Someone asks: are you admitted to the bar?
You: No, my job doesn't require it.

I guess I don't see a need to ever explain that you have C&F issues. I can't see a scenario where someone would ever press that conversation further. Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe if they did, address it like this:

Person continues: Oh, you didn't have to sit for the exam? Lucky you.
You: I actually took the exam and passed it but I never finished all of the paper and background requirements.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:06 pm

OP here, great suggestions, thanks. I have some internal work to do to get over my embarrassment as well. Ultimately, I am glad I have a solid job that keeps me in the profession and actually advances my career while I sort things out.

Additional suggestions welcome.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Martin Brody wrote:What in the world is delaying your C&F certification by years?

In some states even being flagged with minor issues can easily lead to a year long delay.

Return to “Legal Employment�