Responding to reception invites that you can't attend Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Responding to reception invites that you can't attend

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:10 am

As a rising 2L summering at a v100 firm this summer, should I/how should I respond to reception invites that I get from firm/office combinations that I'm interested in.

Should I say something along the lines of "Thanks for the invite, but I'm currently doing biglaw in city X so I can't attend. I'm still really interested though, so keep me on the radar"?

People keep saying on here how important those receptions are and how beneficial it is to at least respond to them/get your name out there even if you can't attend but I'm not sure if mentioning the possession of a 1L SA gig in this type of email will be more apt to help/hurt in calling attention to yourself.

Anonymous User

Re: Responding to reception invites that you can't attend

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:As a rising 2L summering at a v100 firm this summer, should I/how should I respond to reception invites that I get from firm/office combinations that I'm interested in.

Should I say something along the lines of "Thanks for the invite, but I'm currently doing biglaw in city X so I can't attend. I'm still really interested though, so keep me on the radar"?

People keep saying on here how important those receptions are and how beneficial it is to at least respond to them/get your name out there even if you can't attend but I'm not sure if mentioning the possession of a 1L SA gig in this type of email will be more apt to help/hurt in calling attention to yourself.
I don't know why you would say it now. They'll have your resume come OCI and they'll know where you summered. That's a way less awkward way to get that info out.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:As a rising 2L summering at a v100 firm this summer, should I/how should I respond to reception invites that I get from firm/office combinations that I'm interested in.

Were these personal invitations or just blanket invitations from recruiting at the firm?

If you have personal invitations (which I kinda highly doubt because not many big firms are getting personal contacts to invite law students to receptions I would imagine), then you should be responsive. But if you're talking about the generic invitations to attend receptions at the firm, silence is better than mentioning your inability to attend due to your 1L SA. These invitations are sent out based on your participation in one of their events and/or applying to them for your SA previously, and they have zero investment in whether you'll attend that networking event.

Networking and 1L summer receptions are a great way to get employment moving early in the game, but your principle goal should be getting an offer from your 1L SA.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:02 am

Maybe respond more vaguely. "I'm doing a summer internship/this summer i'm located/etc. (however much detail you decide to give) in X city. I'd be interested in attending any summer events in X city or future events in school city."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”