SA Fired from Skadden

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rpupkin

Platinum

Re: SA Fired from Skadden

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden, Chicago Office, Northwestern, last Friday, supposedly various multitude of issues other than racist remark.

Not surprised. When an employee (summer associate, associate, paralegal, whatever) is suddenly let go, the partners generally don't tell the associates why that person was terminated. It could that the other summers heard stories about the SA's inappropriate/racist remarks and are just assuming that those remarks are the reason for the firing. But the SA may have been fired for an entirely different reason (or, as the above poster suggests, a combination of reasons).

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:55 am

I heard the SA was fired for sending an email to every attorney at Skadden informing them that Skadden is a V3 in name only. Skadden offered free counseling to any attorney traumatized by the email-blast.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:24 am

Ah, what an ugly situation for everyone involved. Sounds like SA got what they deserved though

clerk1251

Bronze

Postby clerk1251 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:52 am

rpupkin wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:Nobody who got this far in life could be that dumb.

LOL. Just wait until you start working with big-law partners.

#truth LOL

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:42 am

clerk1251 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

#truth LOL

Hahahah I remember some from OCI. Made me feel like I could be a partner anywhere. For some reason, the ones from Harvard always seemed to be the standouts.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 am

lavarman84 wrote:I heard the SA was fired for sending an email to every attorney at Skadden informing them that Skadden is a V3 in name only. Skadden offered free counseling to any attorney traumatized by the email-blast.

this cracked me up

lawlorbust

Bronze

Postby lawlorbust » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:53 am

lavarman84 wrote:I heard the SA was fired for sending an email to every attorney at Skadden informing them that Skadden is a V3 in name only. Skadden offered free counseling to any attorney traumatized by the email-blast.

Welp. Truth is an absolute defense!

UBETutoring

Bronze

Postby UBETutoring » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:59 am

rpupkin wrote:

If you take away sex and social stupidity, you don't have many stories. This is a different kind of stupidity.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:02 pm

(1) I can't believe Skadden hire-ups would let it leak that another summer associate was fired and/or (2) I can't believe that the Skadden SA would actually tell people that s/he was fired instead instead of lying and/or (3) I can't believe actual Skadden SAs would leak that to TLS...including the person's school. Damn. Some camaraderie in that class

I guess if the SA made a racist remark, that's fair game. But still p shitty

omar1

Bronze

Postby omar1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Any details?

jrf12886

Bronze

Postby jrf12886 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:07 pm

runinthefront wrote:(1) I can't believe Skadden hire-ups would let it leak that another summer associate was fired and/or (2) I can't believe that the Skadden SA would actually tell people that s/he was fired instead instead of lying and/or (3) I can't believe actual Skadden SAs would leak that to TLS...including the person's school. Damn. Some camaraderie in that class

I guess if the SA made a racist remark, that's fair game. But still p shitty

Doesn't surprise me at all. There is no way this wouldn't get out with such a large summer program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:42 pm

The version of this rumor I heard was the Skadden SA was fired for pretending to be gay during interviews to get some supposed diversity bump when in fact he was not actually gay. No idea if this has even a grain of truth.

Barrred

Bronze

Postby Barrred » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The version of this rumor I heard was the Skadden SA was fired for pretending to be gay during interviews to get some supposed diversity bump when in fact he was not actually gay. No idea if this has even a grain of truth.

If true, that's hilarious. He probably should just claim that his sexuality is fluid, and that he identified as gay during the interview.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Not an NU student, but my sister is. Can confirm truth of the above. Dude made a Hispanic SA cry at a firm dinner with some comment about the Mexican education system/Mexicans (didn't get specifics there), and identified as gay in interviews when he is not. He also sexually harassed another summer and a married associate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:06 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Not an NU student, but my sister is. Can confirm truth of the above. Dude made a Hispanic SA cry at a firm dinner with some comment about the Mexican education system/Mexicans (didn't get specifics there), and identified as gay in interviews when he is not. He also sexually harassed another summer and a married associate.

Woof.

(if true)

The gay thing is especially weird. Being bi is legitimately a fluid thing, lots of young people experiment, etc., so why on Earth would you claim full-gay? Sounds psychopathic all around.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:08 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Not an NU student, but my sister is. Can confirm truth of the above. Dude made a Hispanic SA cry at a firm dinner with some comment about the Mexican education system/Mexicans (didn't get specifics there), and identified as gay in interviews when he is not. He also sexually harassed another summer and a married associate.

Dear Lord, what is wrong with this person? They've been in the job like 4 weeks, how have they checked off pretty much every discriminatory behavior possible so quickly?

Some people suck so bad.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Not quite as fun as the Latham summer a couple years ago with hookers and blow, but still a good reminder that, yes, these are the people you'll be working with. They can just hide it better.

snowball2

Bronze

Postby snowball2 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:56 pm

The other takeaway is that your classmates scatter to the winds and you're probably no more than 2 degrees removed from any firm in biglaw, so keep your nose clean or your reputation will precede you.

Night_L

New

Postby Night_L » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:16 pm

(3) I can't believe actual Skadden SAs would leak that to TLS.

Why? Why are you even calling this "a leak"? Were there explicit instructions to keep this incident secret? If not, then where does this presumption of secrecy come from - and why do so many law students mindlessly adopt it?

Shit happened at work. People have lives, they talk to their families, friends, SOs, etc. "You can't believe what happened today." The story eventually finds it way here. It's the most normal thing in the world. The opposite would be abnormal.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Night_L wrote:

Why? Why are you even calling this "a leak"? Were there explicit instructions to keep this incident secret? If not, then where does this presumption of secrecy come from - and why do so many law students mindlessly adopt it?

Shit happened at work. People have lives, they talk to their families, friends, SOs, etc. "You can't believe what happened today." The story eventually finds it way here. It's the most normal thing in the world. The opposite would be abnormal.

What a bizarre response to my comment.

When read in context, it's obvious that the point I was making was that an anonymous poster has basically "outed" a fired Skadden SA to the world by posting the SA's firm, office location, and school. That, when combined with the allegations of misconduct, is pretty serious.

I summered in a completely different market with (probably) a much smaller class which was (probably) more collegial, but I just can't imagine outing a law student student like that--especially if I didn't witness the events leading to termination myself.

You should chill.

Harvard_Naw

New

Postby Harvard_Naw » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:28 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Night_L wrote:

You should chill.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Night_L wrote:

Because the vast majority of law students are anal retentive and the idea of making a single career mistake (e.g. leaking "secret" firm information to TLS and firm finding out) causes them to behave irrationally.

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:48 pm

I like turtles.

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:53 pm

I think this is overall a positive for Skadden's reputation. it shows that the firm takes this kind of behavior extremely seriously. I grant you that it's obvious all firms and businesses should, but not all do, and to take care of it so quickly and directly without excessive deliberation about what it might mean to not 100% offer the class so early speaks well I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:04 pm

sanzgo wrote:
Night_L wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:
heythatslife wrote:Skadden SAs on a streak as of late? Wasn't it there last year that an SA supposedly slapped an associate or something?

Yea there was a slapper, but he got an offer

Please tell me this is a joke.

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/06/what-mad ... aw-lawyer/

Skadden associate here - this is not accurate. A junior associate slapped the sh*t out of an SA.

Return to “Legal Employment?