SA Fired from Skadden

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SA Fired from Skadden

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:43 pm

K&E Chi senior associate here. I can't recall a time we've ever fired a summer associate mid-summer. This must have been something really spectacular. Going to see if I can get some more color from my friends at Skadden.

ButForTheGraceOfGod

New

Postby ButForTheGraceOfGod » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:18 pm

NW student.

I understand why everyone is assuming that something egregious happened. I thought so too. But I think we should probably start rethinking that hypothesis.

The summers are talking, NU students are talking, ATL has posted a tip line, and by now the school must have been notified too. But there's still no consistent story coming out—which is really weird, ESPECIALLY since the precipitating event apparently occurred at a firm event. It doesn't sound like it was a response to some single, catastrophic event.

We're all assuming that Skadden would only do this if the SA did something completely egregious. But I'm just not so sure about that. Ultimately, firing an SA amid this type of speculation doesn't ding Skadden that badly (even considering the statistics component). If they had waited and the catastrophic event had manifested itself, on the other hand, the reputational harm would be MASSIVE, and they'd almost certainly lose BOTH summers involved.

I'm leaning towards believing that it was a prophylactic measure—that the SA just said enough side-eye comments that Skadden was like, "you know what, let's just head this off at the pass." I could hardly blame them: if it's between no-offering a summer who may have been fine after a talking-to and potentially losing the commitment of a slew of summers if it got worse, it's probably prudent.

That's not to say that nothing happened. I have no idea. (Seems like no one does.) I'm also not saying that ignorant comments are fine, that ignorance can't rise to the level of discrimination, or that he shouldn't have been fired. I'm just saying—let's leave open the possibility that he said ignorant and/or oblivious things for which he was rightly fired and ALSO isn't an irredeemable racist who will never be able to pass C&F and should drop out and embrace mournful oblivion.

I can't speak for my entire school, but FWIW, the people I've talked to about the SA all basically feel the same way: we'd be very surprised if any of the allegations in this thread are true, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Skadden did the wrong thing.

Tl;dr: Hanlon's Razor.

P.S. I can confirm that the gay-during-OCI thing is very unlikely. I remember talking to him during OCI about how we both had to mention our significant others in interviews (me, because it's why I picked my practice area; him, because it explained his location preference). We specifically talked about how "boyfriend" (me) and "girlfriend" (him) are cringingly immature words.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:22 pm

This thread sucks and is bad

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:43 pm

BigZuck wrote:This thread sucks and is bad

(BigZuck outs self as fired Skadden SA)

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:50 pm

ButForTheGraceOfGod wrote:Tl;dr: Hanlon's Razor.

TLS's Razor: If a poster knows someone who knows someone else who knows this guy who heard about a thing from some other guy, then that thing is likely true and therefore should be shared anonymously on TLS.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:52 pm

BigZuck wrote:This thread sucks and is bad

Man from Nantucket

Bronze

Postby Man from Nantucket » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:48 am

Some spectacular autism in this thread, really nice TLS.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:38 am

Man from Nantucket wrote:Some spectacular autism in this thread, really nice TLS.

Do you even know what this word means?

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Postby Mickfromgm » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:09 am

Nebby wrote:
Man from Nantucket wrote:Some spectacular autism in this thread, really nice TLS.

Do you even know what this word means?

That's the irony, I think.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Postby daedalus2309 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:12 pm

The summer was actually fired for eating cheez-its all the time and constantly clearing his throat

champloo

Bronze

Postby champloo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:28 pm

daedalus2309 wrote:The summer was actually fired for eating cheez-its all the time and constantly clearing his throat

also using earphones at work

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Finally a decent TLS thread. Its been a dry year

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:33 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Finally a decent TLS thread. Its been a dry year

We might define "decent" slightly differently

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Finally a decent TLS thread. Its been a dry year

We might define "decent" slightly differently

I am speaking strictly in terms of entertainment value.

El Pollito

Diamond

Postby El Pollito » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:14 pm

how did this thread become a real gayz witch hunt lol

EzraFitz

Silver

Postby EzraFitz » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:43 pm

daedalus2309 wrote:The summer was actually fired for eating cheez-its all the time and constantly clearing his throat

Almost spit out my drink.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Somewhat related: heard that a Houston Jones Day SA was fired over their Jones Day weekend festivities in DC. Turns out that drunkenly talking bad about your firm and trying to pull down a SA's dress in public is not well tolerated.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Somewhat related: heard that a Houston Jones Day SA was fired over their Jones Day weekend festivities in DC. Turns out that drunkenly talking bad about your firm and trying to pull down a SA's dress in public is not well tolerated.

Although it's not a good idea, you can probably get away with drunkenly talking bad about your firm. (It might result in a no-offer at the end of the summer, but it's unlikely to result in an immediate firing.) But sexually assaulting another SA in public? Yeah, the firm has to fire you.

El Pollito

Diamond

Postby El Pollito » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:38 am

why are those in the same sentence

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Somewhat related: heard that a Houston Jones Day SA was fired over their Jones Day weekend festivities in DC. Turns out that ... trying to pull down a SA's dress in public is not well tolerated.

Fucking hell yeah I'd hope that kid got fired.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Bravo

Anonymous User wrote:Somewhat related: heard that a Houston Jones Day SA was fired over their Jones Day weekend festivities in DC. Turns out that drunkenly talking bad about your firm and trying to pull down a SA's dress in public is not well tolerated.

and what the fuck

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:02 pm

How do people consistently get all the way to law school and a biglaw SA and still not know basic social norms like not to get obliterated at work events or to sexually harass coworkers?

Consistently. Every year people are like this and it just never ceases to amaze me people got this far in life with behaviors like that.

Makes for some good laughs though

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:34 pm

El Pollito wrote:why are those in the same sentence

and why is talking shit the first thing mentioned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:35 pm

As a JD DC associate, how the hell did I not hear about this? smh...

August Wilson

Silver

Postby August Wilson » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a JD DC associate, how the hell did I not hear about this? smh...

dat black box.

Return to “Legal Employment?