SA Fired from Skadden Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Joscellin

Gold

Re: SA Fired from Skadden

Post by Joscellin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:TBF, the whole "lying about being gay" accusation is weird. Like, unless you actively explain to other people "HAHA yeah I said I was a fairy so these bozos would hire me" then sure maybe you'd get canned, but I couldn't imagine anyone in our firms gay group being on a mission to fire someone if they found out they were bi or queer or questioning
Given the other allegations, I wouldn't be surprised if he were exactly that brazen about it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Joscellin wrote:
Mlk&Ckies wrote:TBF, the whole "lying about being gay" accusation is weird. Like, unless you actively explain to other people "HAHA yeah I said I was a fairy so these bozos would hire me" then sure maybe you'd get canned, but I couldn't imagine anyone in our firms gay group being on a mission to fire someone if they found out they were bi or queer or questioning
Given the other allegations, I wouldn't be surprised if he were exactly that brazen about it.
(master of circular logic)

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Sounds like the recent crop of law students really is dumber

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:34 pm

ExBiglawAssociate wrote:Sounds like the recent crop of law students really is dumber
Just wait until the students who got into law school with the GRE start showing up. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NotSkadden

New

Post by NotSkadden » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Wasn't me.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:04 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:If Skadden were his only offer, at least it's heartening to know that most biglaw firms can filter guys like this out, and maybe he just managed to really keep it together for 20 mins + 3ish hours for this one firm.
I wouldn't go that far; we have no clue why Skadden was the only offer/what arbitrary reasons were used to not take him at other firms. Could be he failed in some completely different way and that there are plenty of crazies who got into the other firms who at least didn't have that particular failing.
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This just leaves the alleged racist comment. No one here has produced any evidence admissible in court to substantiate the allegations, nor any a reasonable person would rely on. Yet there are people here ready to out this guy's identity publicly with no remorse, even if all the speculation sticks to him and ruins his career before facts can even be set straight.
You heard it here first. TLS is a court of law.
:lol:

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:18 pm

NotSkadden wrote:Wasn't me.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:11 am

rpupkin wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Probably not worth engaging - but that's not circular logic. Circular logic would be A is true because of B, which is true because of A.

My assertion was simply A (he very well may have been that brazen) because of B (he was *fired* from an SA position for being a ginormous ass).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:17 pm

You're assuming one allegation is true based on your assumption that other allegations are true. It's not the most circular logic but I see where the other guy is coming from.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Joscellin wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Probably not worth engaging - but that's not circular logic. Circular logic would be A is true because of B, which is true because of A.

My assertion was simply A (he very well may have been that brazen) because of B (he was *fired* from an SA position for being a ginormous ass).
I was wrong. You are not a master of circular logic. You can't even accurately depict your own silly argument.

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:51 pm

This thread is so TLS I can't even.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Was it racism-racism or aspie-racism? This gossip may make him less hirable, and if it's the latter, it may not be fair.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Post by LurkerTurnedMember » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:15 pm

UBETutoring wrote:Was it racism-racism or aspie-racism? This gossip may make him less hirable, and if it's the latter, it may not be fair.
No one here knows yet. I've read this thread so just to sum up for you and anyone else just joining: A male summer associate at Skadden was fired. No one knows why. But the speculation, with no direct proof or even specifics, is that that it was because of a racist comment. There's also some weirdos wanting to know whether he's gay enough for them, but that appears to be irrelevant and peeping Tom-ish.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:23 pm

LurkerTurnedMember wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:Was it racism-racism or aspie-racism? This gossip may make him less hirable, and if it's the latter, it may not be fair.
No one here knows yet. I've read this thread so just to sum up for you and anyone else just joining: A male summer associate at Skadden was fired. No one knows why. But the speculation, with no direct proof or even specifics, is that that it was because of a racist comment. There's also some weirdos wanting to know whether he's gay enough for them, but that appears to be irrelevant and peeping Tom-ish.
which is why...
pancakes3 wrote:I'm sure whatever reputational harm borne out of TLS gossip is outweighed by the fact that he got fired from his SA
...is just so very wrong.

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Are you really that dense not to understand why it would be offensive for a straight person to pretend to be gay in order to benefit from diversity hiring?

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
Are you really that dense not to understand why it would be offensive for a straight person to pretend to be gay in order to benefit from diversity hiring?
I'm curious how prevalent this is. Very easy (terrible, but easy) to lie about your sexuality to get a bump, they really can't ever verify it. Given the stakes, there's a strong incentive. I wonder what percent of LGBT diversity hires are really straight liars.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:33 pm

There's been more than that. Are you the Skadden damage control crew? There's been fairly specific allegations as to what the racist comment was about. Your idiotic comment notwithstanding, passing off as gay to get a diversity boost is also a pretty bad allegation.

Anyway, ATL has now picked up on this, and details will come out eventually. I remember a similar discussion taking place last year over the Skadden slapper and people getting all upset that everyone was just speculating. Same thing with the Latham SA two years ago. Both turned out pretty much the way they were described. The biglaw SA community is small enough that most people at T14 know someone in every summer class, so I wouldn't be as dismissive as some of the people in this thread have been.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:36 pm

Asking what percentage of "gay" diversity hires are really straight liars is basically asking what percentage are sociopaths, because it would be a crappy thing to do, but it's also crappy to approach LGBT SAs as if they lied to get the (I'm sure MASSIVE) diversity bump.

Also there's no such thing as aspie-racism.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Don't forget the alleged sexual assault. That's pretty serious if true. Although I don't see how aspie-racism is okay?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:41 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Don't forget the alleged sexual assault. That's pretty serious if true. Although I don't see how aspie-racism is okay?
You are literally the only poster to mention alleged sexual assault. Where are you reading that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:42 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Although I don't see how aspie-racism is okay?
Because "aspie-racism" would at least be unintentional. Examples include legitimate ignorance or trying to impress her/other associates by being "funny" (think Michael Scott).

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:44 pm

runinthefront wrote:You are literally the only poster to mention alleged sexual assault. Where are you reading that?
SFSpartan wrote:Not an NU student, but my sister is. Can confirm truth of the above. Dude made a Hispanic SA cry at a firm dinner with some comment about the Mexican education system/Mexicans (didn't get specifics there), and identified as gay in interviews when he is not. He also sexually harassed another summer and a married associate.
Sorry, it was alleged sexual harassment, not assault.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 pm

*confirms TLS is terrible at the Telephone game*

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:50 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Although I don't see how aspie-racism is okay?
Because "aspie-racism" would at least be unintentional. Examples include legitimate ignorance or trying to impress her/other associates by being "funny" (think Michael Scott).
Yeah, but like I said, that's not a thing. It's unfair to actual aspies. There isn't any "legitimate" ignorance and trying to be funny by making a racist comment isn't an excuse either.

I get that people are probably trying to get at a distinction between malicious "intentional" racism and an example of really really bad judgment, but in terms of effect on the listener (and employability) I don't think that makes any difference.

It's not like only people who say something racist with the intent to harm are "real" racists and everyone else should get a pass because it's not "really" racism if you don't "mean it that way." A problematic comment is a problematic comment (but it's also not a judgment on someone's soul; it's just one action over someone's life and whether they should get fired for it would, I think, depend on a lot of factors).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”