Applying to a firm where I know a partner

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying to a firm where I know a partner

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:01 pm

(I know this might be kinda dumb, but i've never been in this situation before so hoping for some advice)

i work at firm x
i want to apply to lateral to firm y (niche practice)
we occasionally work with firm y on certain matters when their expertise is desired
i've worked with & talked to a partner at firm y several times, they know/recognize me and have offered advice in the past and seemed to think i did good work when we worked together
firm y has a standard recruiting coordinator & hiring committee setup, but no way to know if that partner is on hiring committee

How should i approach this? should i just apply thru the recruiting coordinator? should i talk to the partner either to express interest in their firm (before i apply) or to let them know ive applied (after i do)?

thanks guys & gals :)

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Re: Applying to a firm where I know a partner

Postby Mickfromgm » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 am

Hands down, I recommend coordinating this through the partner that you know personally. Now, he may just tell you to go through the regular route with the recruiting director, or simply hand your resume to the recruiting director. However, even in those cases, you would normally expect the partner to put in some good words to the director (assuming he in fact likes you). :)

Those are the worst case scenarios based on what you describe. Best case, the partner will convince the head of the recruiting committee that the firm (he) could use someone like you, and the interviews would be a mere formality. Good luck!

clerk1251

Bronze

Re: Applying to a firm where I know a partner

Postby clerk1251 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:(I know this might be kinda dumb, but i've never been in this situation before so hoping for some advice)

i work at firm x
i want to apply to lateral to firm y (niche practice)
we occasionally work with firm y on certain matters when their expertise is desired
i've worked with & talked to a partner at firm y several times, they know/recognize me and have offered advice in the past and seemed to think i did good work when we worked together
firm y has a standard recruiting coordinator & hiring committee setup, but no way to know if that partner is on hiring committee

How should i approach this? should i just apply thru the recruiting coordinator? should i talk to the partner either to express interest in their firm (before i apply) or to let them know ive applied (after i do)?

thanks guys & gals :)

If it were me, I would start by emailing the partner you know and asking him if he is free for lunch or coffee. Then, over coffee, I would candidly express my interest in lateraling and see if he has any advice or perspective. You'll quickly get a good sense about if he is willing to help you and to what extent.

Return to “Legal Employment�