Mass mailing - genuine question, please help Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass mailing - genuine question, please help

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:52 pm

I had never heard of mass mailing until I started reading this site.

My stats: top 10% (would guess top 5-7% more specifically) at FLS, early interview week coming up in August, bids due July 5. I want to stay in NYC. I have contacts at major firms.

Does everyone mass mail? I thought it was more appropriate for firms not coming to your school's OCI. Who do you address your letter to? What goes in this letter? Can anyone send me a sample letter?

I am totally taken aback by this mass mailing trend (very alarmed by the poster who says he or she knows of a v20 firm in a major market that filled its SA class before OCI) and don't want to be caught out. Any advice would be fully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Mass mailing - genuine question, please help

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Mass mail all the firms you don't interview with at your OCI. Some people mass mail, some don't. But really it doesn't matter what everyone else does, it mattes what you do. The more lines you throw out, the better chance you'll have of catching a fish. Address the letter to legal recruiting, typically the contact person on NALP. The letter is a cover letter, typically 3 short paragraphs. In the first, introduce yourself, say you're writing to apply for a summer associate position, and a quick sentence about why you're interested int the firm and what practice areas (this can be boilerplate for all or firm specific, prolly bonus points for being firm specific). In the second, a little background about yourself. Can be work experience or characteristics that enabled you to perform well in school or w/e, but has to be something that shows you'd be a good hire. In the third, short conclusory wrap up, "if given the chance i'd really like to have you pay me lots of money, blah, blah, blah. Please see my resume and transcript attached. I can be reached at 1-800-hire-me or givemeajob@180.com."

Anonymous User

Re: Mass mailing - genuine question, please help

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:47 pm

You rock. Thanks so much.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”