GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 313207
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:18 am

Anyone know how GPA corrlelates (tier 3 transfer) and which employers are transfer friendly

User avatar
jess

Diamond
Posts: 18149
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby jess » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:41 am

.
Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313207
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:33 am

jess wrote:what is your 1l rank


Top 1%

Trogdor

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 1:59 am

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby Trogdor » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:19 am

I was in the same position as you 2 years ago. It's weird, I feel like firms just assume transfers are around median and don't give much credence to their GPAs. I got this feeling because it seemed like tops firms didn't give transfers much of a look. Of the 6 or 7 other transfers I know that got BigLaw, all of them ended up at middle-of-the-road firms. However, I do know one transfer at Michigan who transferred from Michigan State and got a job at Skadden in Chicago. This might have been an outlier, but who knows.

I summered at Willkie and we had 3 transfers in our class. I know Kramer Levin was transfer friendly, and one of my transfer-buddies ended up at Norton Rose Fulbright in DC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313207
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how GPA corrlelates (tier 3 transfer) and which employers are transfer friendly


Typically, I think, reduce your 1l GPA by 0.30 and that's how you'll be viewed. I transferred to GULC a few years ago from t3-4 and got a v10, so it's possible. However, I got it through mass mailing like crazy and not through EIW, so definitely mass mail any and every firm you don't get an interview with at EIW regardless of whether you think you have a chance or not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313207
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:48 pm

The office of career strategy told me that the GPA adjustment 100% correlates to your school's tier.

Top 30 = translates roughly equivalent, maybe -.1
Top 30 - Mid-T2 (preferably a recognizable name in market) = translates to -.2
T3-T4 = translates to -.3 or -.4, maybe just median

I'll echo the sentiment of the above poster: mass mail like crazy. I sent an additional cover letter/resume out to a V10 (one that I placed on my EIW bidlist), and I have a callback next week, before the EIW schedule is even released.

Also, instead of pure anecdotes, know that the class of 2016 released its transfer placement statistics in another thread. They compiled all the firms in a spreadsheet, and showed many GULC transfers made it to V30 firms. Just don't be lazy, and keep mailing.

student4714

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:27 am

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby student4714 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The office of career strategy told me that the GPA adjustment 100% correlates to your school's tier.

Top 30 = translates roughly equivalent, maybe -.1
Top 30 - Mid-T2 (preferably a recognizable name in market) = translates to -.2
T3-T4 = translates to -.3 or -.4, maybe just median

I'll echo the sentiment of the above poster: mass mail like crazy. I sent an additional cover letter/resume out to a V10 (one that I placed on my EIW bidlist), and I have a callback next week, before the EIW schedule is even released.

Also, instead of pure anecdotes, know that the class of 2016 released its transfer placement statistics in another thread. They compiled all the firms in a spreadsheet, and showed many GULC transfers made it to V30 firms. Just don't be lazy, and keep mailing.


Do you happen to have a link to that thread?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313207
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how GPA corrlelates (tier 3 transfer) and which employers are transfer friendly


I was in the same position

Ended up striking out EIW, but succeeding in mass mailing

A good assumption is median or below — my friends who succeeded at EIW had great personalities, good looking, dominate interviews (but that's not really any different from any other student)

Otherwise, assume you're able to get what you might have been able to get at your old school

I had one interview, where at the beginning, I was just given tips on how to interview with other firms

edit: look for big summer classes. and not to be a downer— most people got something if they put in the leg work and effort

PourMeTea

Platinum
Posts: 6870
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby PourMeTea » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:36 pm

OP, you can pm me--GULC transfer from a couple years ago.

student4714

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:27 am

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby student4714 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:32 pm

Posting to draw attention for later when EIW schedules come out

Anonymous User
Posts: 313207
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how GPA corrlelates (tier 3 transfer) and which employers are transfer friendly


Weil is pretty transfer friendly with top 1%

User avatar
JD1776

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby JD1776 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:09 pm

I got my EIW schedule yesterday. It's very favorable in so far as I got almost every firm that I really wanted. But I only got seven interviews (and they're all with DC offices).

They're all pretty competitive offices, so I'm thinking it would be wise to add some safety firms during the open sign-up period to get my interview number up to 10. Other than adding some more firms during the sign-up period, does anyone have other advice for someone with a relatively low number? I don't want to strike out.

student4714

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:27 am

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby student4714 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:11 pm

JD1776 wrote:I got my EIW schedule yesterday. It's very favorable in so far as I got almost every firm that I really wanted. But I only got seven interviews (and they're all with DC offices).

They're all pretty competitive offices, so I'm thinking it would be wise to add some safety firms during the open sign-up period to get my interview number up to 10. Other than adding some more firms during the sign-up period, does anyone have other advice for someone with a relatively low number? I don't want to strike out.


Bump- I have a few more interviews but definitely interested in advice on not striking out

Anonymous User
Posts: 313207
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC EIW 2017-Transfers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:24 pm

So how'd we all do, folks??

For posterity, I've got a V10 offer, waiting on 2 more V50's, and have 2-3 more callbacks in the hopper. Canceled a slew of them after the V10 rolled in.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.