Timeline for academia?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Timeline for academia?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Recent grad. My plan has been to work in PSLF-eligible employment (and write/publish in my spare time) for ten years, get loan forgiveness, then go on the market. But I've heard that that's too late; after eight years of practice (and two years of clerking), I'll be considered for adjunct or clinical positions, but likely not tenure-track positions. Is this true? If so, would the answer change if I go the VAP/fellowship route, or the LLM/PhD route?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Timeline for academia?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:52 pm

Have you considered that almost all academic jobs are going to be PSLF-eligible? (If a state university I think they count as state government organizations, but whether state or public they're going to be 501(c)(3) tax-exempt institutions.)

And my understanding is that yes, you will find it harder to get a tenure-track position (rather than adjunct) with that much time in practice. Some of it will depend on what you do in those 10 years - if you publish great stuff in highly-ranked law reviews and do other academic-y things like present at conferences that will help. The question is whether you'll be able to do that on top of practice - unless you're in a very policy/academic-y type of position I think it will be very difficult.

Not sure what you're asking will change if you do a VAP/fellowship or LLM/PhD?

Anonymous User

Re: Timeline for academia?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:04 pm

Many thanks for the response. I can't believe it never occurred to me that academic jobs would be PSLF-eligible. But that does make sense, and solves my problem. Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment�