OCI - PLEASE HELP ME Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Halltheway

New

OCI - PLEASE HELP ME

Post by Halltheway » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Ok I know there is something wrong with me. I cannot for the life of me find any hiring charts for law firms with medians, etc., from previous years for oci on nalp or chambers. Can somebody please help me out with a link.

grades??

Silver

Re: OCI - PLEASE HELP ME

Post by grades?? » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:20 pm

Thats because they are school specific. If your school doesn't put one together, well then you probably shouldn't have gone there in the first place and even thought you had a chance at biglaw.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Yes, this is information gathered/kept by each school's CSO, and that's who you need to talk to about it.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Looks like OP is at Loyola Chicago. OP, you aren't getting biglaw fyi. Im sure its technically possible, but if you have to find out what firms cutoffs are, you are in a lot of trouble. Just mass mail and pray honestly.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:12 pm

yikes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Halltheway

New

Post by Halltheway » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:26 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yes, this is information gathered/kept by each school's CSO, and that's who you need to talk to about it.
Ok thank you. I just keep on reading on TLS about this information being available on NALP & Chambers, that's why I asked.

grades?? wrote:Looks like OP is at Loyola Chicago. OP, you aren't getting biglaw fyi. Im sure its technically possible, but if you have to find out what firms cutoffs are, you are in a lot of trouble. Just mass mail and pray honestly.
Yet I have a 1L SA. I think I'll be just fine.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:55 pm

grades?? wrote:Looks like OP is at Loyola Chicago. OP, you aren't getting biglaw fyi. Im sure its technically possible, but if you have to find out what firms cutoffs are, you are in a lot of trouble. Just mass mail and pray honestly.

Are you actively working towards the biggest douchefuck award?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:22 am

You must be completely insufferable IRL. I hate these rude sour grapes posts. They're idiotic and inaccurate.Big law is difficult but nowhere close to impossible (I've worked with Loyola Chicago summers the past two years in two top Chicago firms).

You will indeed need to go through your school. Reach out to people. Alums, but also others.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:29 am

Halltheway wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yes, this is information gathered/kept by each school's CSO, and that's who you need to talk to about it.
Ok thank you. I just keep on reading on TLS about this information being available on NALP & Chambers, that's why I asked.
Where did you read that NALP and Chambers publish GPA data on firms? Because this is news to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:44 am

What is wrong with you? Loyala definitely has an OCI with big firms, and I'm sure the top of the class has a chance to land them.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:53 am

existentialcrisis wrote:
What is wrong with you? Loyala definitely has an OCI with big firms, and I'm sure the top of the class has a chance to land them.
Sure the top 10% has a chance, but outside that its a near impossibility. Im not just trying to be a dick, but follow what the data shows.

Only 56% of loyola law grads get a long term legal job.

Less than 10% get a biglaw job.

Only 5% got a job from OCI.

Source: https://www.lstreports.com/schools/loyola-chicago/jobs/

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:56 am

grades?? wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Sure the top 10% has a chance, but outside that its a near impossibility.

Yea, but you're not trying to convince someone not to go to loyala because they want biglaw and they'd need amazing grades. OP goes to loyala and presumably killed it, because he's got a 1L SA and is asking about big firms.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:59 am

existentialcrisis wrote:
grades?? wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:

Yea, but you're not trying to convince someone not to go to loyala because they want biglaw and they'd need amazing grades. OP goes to loyala and presumably killed it, because he's got a 1L SA and is asking about big firms.

The tone of my first post is probably because if OP really was in that good of a position grade wise, surely OP's CSO office would have already made contact with OP about all this. Given that it hasn't happened, it shows 2 things: either 1-OP didn't kill it grade wise and is lying, or 2- CSO knows no-one gets jobs from OCI (which the data shows) and doesn't put out OCI helpful data. Either way, OP can't rely on OCI in any sense. OP should be mass mailing and spamming apps until OP lands something (and just because OP might have a 1L SA doesn't mean it will lead to a 2L SA at all, at that firm or another).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:45 am

grades?? wrote:The tone of my first post is probably because if OP really was in that good of a position grade wise, surely OP's CSO office would have already made contact with OP about all this. Given that it hasn't happened, it shows 2 things: either 1-OP didn't kill it grade wise and is lying, or 2- CSO knows no-one gets jobs from OCI (which the data shows) and doesn't put out OCI helpful data. Either way, OP can't rely on OCI in any sense. OP should be mass mailing and spamming apps until OP lands something (and just because OP might have a 1L SA doesn't mean it will lead to a 2L SA at all, at that firm or another).
Which one of the following, if true, would weaken this post's argument?

A. CSOs, who are incompetent nearly everywhere, would not "surely" have proactively contacted high-performing students.
B. There was no indication OP was not mass-mailing.
C. The poster's own link shows that students get jobs from Loyola's OCI, making it a relevant thing to ask about.
D. Having a 1L SA almost always means someone is in a good position to land a 2L SA.
E. The post would be dickish even it were constructive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:26 pm

grades?? wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
grades?? wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:

The tone of my first post is probably because if OP really was in that good of a position grade wise, surely OP's CSO office would have already made contact with OP about all this. Given that it hasn't happened, it shows 2 things: either 1-OP didn't kill it grade wise and is lying, or 2- CSO knows no-one gets jobs from OCI (which the data shows) and doesn't put out OCI helpful data. Either way, OP can't rely on OCI in any sense. OP should be mass mailing and spamming apps until OP lands something (and just because OP might have a 1L SA doesn't mean it will lead to a 2L SA at all, at that firm or another).

I don't care if you think I'm fucked. I don't care if you think I'm lying about my current status. It is all irrelevant and I have nothing to prove to you. If you would like to continue to aimlessly ramble on about a school you seemingly know nothing about based off one website, knock yourself out. I'm here, and most other people on this site are here to gain the absolute most information possible. That means more than the next student in their class, and more than what cso is going to tell you, all in order to gain the advantage. Not saying I'm doing things perfectly or that my 1L SA will get me a 2L SA, but I'm doing everything to figure out exactly what I should be doing. (You might want to disregard this last sentence if you still believe I'm lying.)

TLS has plenty of posters who believe their life's purpose is to belittle others who don't know everything or to make them feel stupid and sol. Yes, you probably are right about the mass mailing timeline but your message got lost in your poor choice of words. If you were sincere in your efforts of trying to help or provide advice, you would have asked for more info from me rather than make blind and pretty stupid assumptions. So I guess unfortunately for you, I'm not a timid first time poster who is afraid of what people on the internet say about things they don't know much about.

Thanks to everyone else. I haven't gotten all of my spring grades back yet but I'm prepping everything to send out when I do.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
grades?? wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
grades?? wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:

I don't care if you think I'm fucked. I don't care if you think I'm lying about my current status. It is all irrelevant and I have nothing to prove to you. If you would like to continue to aimlessly ramble on about a school you seemingly know nothing about based off one website, knock yourself out. I'm here, and most other people on this site are here to gain the absolute most information possible. That means more than the next student in their class, and more than what cso is going to tell you, all in order to gain the advantage. Not saying I'm doing things perfectly or that my 1L SA will get me a 2L SA, but I'm doing everything to figure out exactly what I should be doing. (You might want to disregard this last sentence if you still believe I'm lying.)

TLS has plenty of posters who believe their life's purpose is to belittle others who don't know everything or to make them feel stupid and sol. Yes, you probably are right about the mass mailing timeline but your message got lost in your poor choice of words. If you were sincere in your efforts of trying to help or provide advice, you would have asked for more info from me rather than make blind and pretty stupid assumptions. So I guess unfortunately for you, I'm not a timid first time poster who is afraid of what people on the internet say about things they don't know much about.

Thanks to everyone else. I haven't gotten all of my spring grades back yet but I'm prepping everything to send out when I do.
Cool

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”