NYU OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:50 pm

I have a little above a 3.1 GPA and am making a bid list for OCI. I want to work for a firm with a strong international group (arbitration, economic sanctions, trade, etc.). So, I am prioritizing that over all else. Prestige does not matter to me beyond the firm receiving interesting cases. International substantive work experience and work culture are my top factors. I would appreciate comments on my list below. I am prioritizing NY and DC (would prefer equal options in both cities).

Freshfields - NY
Sidley Austin - DC
Foley Hoag - DC (International Arbitration Only)
Akin Gump - DC
White & Case - DC
Herbert Smith Freehills - NY (Global Disputes/Lit Only)
Curtis, Mallet - NY
Vinson & Elkins DC
Linklaters - NY
King & Spalding - NY
Convington - DC
Hogan Lovells- NY
Clifford Chance - NY
Sidley Austin - NY
Hughes Hubbard - NY
Hughes Hubbard - DC
Steptoe & Johnson - DC
WilmerHale - DC
Arnold and Porter - DC
Dechert - NY
WilmerHale - NY
Debevoise - NY
Cleary -NY (only 1)
Norton Rose - DC
Covington - NY
Bilzin Sumberg - MIA
Greenberg Traurig - MIA
Latham Watkins - NY
Reed Smith - NY
Willkie Farr - DC
Orrick - NY
Arnold and Porter - NY
Proskauer - NY
Cooley - NY (Litigation Only)
Milbank - NY
DLA Piper - NY
Baker & McKenzie - NY
Kirkland & Ellis - NY
Baker Botts -DC
Baker Botts - NY
Kirkland & Ellis - DC
Troutman Sanders - NY
Alston & Bird - NY
Brown Rudnick - DC
Venable - DC
Hunton & Williams MIA
Hunton & Williams DC
Boies Schiller - MIA
Willkie Farr - NY

Anonymous User

Re: NYU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:18 pm

This list is too aggressive for someone with a 3.1 GPA. You should cut many of the DC firms and add more NY firms (you can always do open sign-ups for DC firms and/or network with them at OCI). I am 100% positive you should cut K&E DC, Wilmer DC, A&P DC, and Covington DC. I would personally also cut Debevoise NY, Cleary NY, K&E NY, Wilmer NY, A&P NY, Latham NY, Covington NY, and Boies Miami.

Is there a risk of bidding too conservatively? Of course there is. But the result of that risk is going to a slightly less appealing firm, while making the same money. The consequence of bidding too aggressively is striking out. I had a friend with a similar GPA who struck out because of overly-aggressive bidding, couldn't line up anything 3L, and is now off the biglaw track.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:27 pm

If the solution is as simple as deleting the firms you mentioned and moving up some NY firms, I can fairly painlessly live with that. However, I am pretty partial to my top 20 or so beyond the suggested deletions (still keeping Debevoise and Cleary). Do the other firms (DC ones in particular) need to be reranked/deleted?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:43 pm

FYI Foley Hoag DC didn't give out any offers last summer, so be careful putting all your eggs in that basket.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Have you run the list by OCS?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If the solution is as simple as deleting the firms you mentioned and moving up some NY firms, I can fairly painlessly live with that. However, I am pretty partial to my top 20 or so beyond the suggested deletions (still keeping Debevoise and Cleary). Do the other firms (DC ones in particular) need to be reranked/deleted?

"Partiality" to specific firms really shouldn't be your mindset (particularly w/ your gpa). Should be all about maximizing chances of landing a job. Practice group can be considered but should be secondary -- IMO -- to making a bid list that ensures a solid number of interviews (and ultimately an offer).

Return to “Legal Employment�