Post-Clerkship/Direct to Susman?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post-Clerkship/Direct to Susman?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:16 am

What are odds of getting a job at Susman NYC coming straight out of two fed. clerkships? Circuit then district, in one of 4/6/7/8 (neither a major feeder). MVP for LS. What kind of things will they be looking for in direct-from-clerkship hires?

Thanks!

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Re: Post-Clerkship/Direct to Susman?

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:17 pm

I have no first hand knowledge of the NYC office, but feeder credentials are not required. The people who work there from my LS seem to be very strong (top 5-10%), but after that I expect it's very much about personality fit.

Though I think a strong D. Ct. clerkship may be helpful (i.e., in a major city), and apart from NDIL, not sure any districts in the circuits you mentioned would stand out to them.

Also, I think your grades will still very much matter post-clerkship, so without your stats I expect people won't be able to give you a good idea.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are odds of getting a job at Susman NYC coming straight out of two fed. clerkships?

One in seven.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are odds of getting a job at Susman NYC coming straight out of two fed. clerkships? Circuit then district, in one of 4/6/7/8 (neither a major feeder). MVP for LS. What kind of things will they be looking for in direct-from-clerkship hires?

Thanks!

I had a very similar trajectory and was rejected without an interview, just as a comparable datapoint. I think the NYC office tends to be even more competitive than their other offices, or at least more competitive than Houston. NYC is newer and smaller, and a quick look at the credentials of the associates there will give you a sense of what an ideal candidate will look like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Not OP here, but also interested in Susman and firms like it. Working big law now and will have of two years a combo of securities transactional and litigation experience when I start my clerkship in 2018. I have a district court clerkship lined up for 18-19 in a flyover and a 2/9/DC circuit clerkship the following year. Coming from MVP. Despite these clerkships, I don't have great grades (top 40%, not on law review). I had good application all around otherwise and the work experience helped me get the district clerkship which helped get the circuit clerkship.

How much will my grades affect me? It's four years out. But then again, they definitely have applicants with much more impressive applications (better grades and on law review, more 'prestigious' district court clerkships, and supreme court clerks).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP here, but also interested in Susman and firms like it. Working big law now and will have of two years a combo of securities transactional and litigation experience when I start my clerkship in 2018. I have a district court clerkship lined up for 18-19 in a flyover and a 2/9/DC circuit clerkship the following year. Coming from MVP. Despite these clerkships, I don't have great grades (top 40%, not on law review). I had good application all around otherwise and the work experience helped me get the district clerkship which helped get the circuit clerkship.

How much will my grades affect me? It's four years out. But then again, they definitely have applicants with much more impressive applications (better grades and on law review, more 'prestigious' district court clerkships, and supreme court clerks).

I had a very similar trajectory and was rejected without an interview, just as a comparable datapoint. I think the NYC office tends to be even more competitive than their other offices, or at least more competitive than Houston. NYC is newer and smaller, and a quick look at the credentials of the associates there will give you a sense of what an ideal candidate will look like.

Yeah, nvm. Seems like I have no shot lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:00 pm

I work/worked at SG.

The New York office is the most selective office, and almost everyone there will have better credentials than you have. (At least, they'll almost all have gone to higher-ranked law schools.) It will not be impossible to score an interview or a job, but it will be a significant uphill climb.

SG tends to care a lot about culture fit. Know what kind of firm it is and why you want to work there (beyond "I want to do trials"). It will also help if you did activities during law school that evince an interest in and aptitude for high-stakes trial work (moot court/mock trial, etc.). It will also help if you present well: be confident, be conversant, etc.

I wouldn't hold my breath—you're going to be competing against a lot of YHS grads with very good clerkships—but it's worth an app.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work/worked at SG.

The New York office is the most selective office, and almost everyone there will have better credentials than you have. (At least, they'll almost all have gone to higher-ranked law schools.) It will not be impossible to score an interview or a job, but it will be a significant uphill climb.

SG tends to care a lot about culture fit. Know what kind of firm it is and why you want to work there (beyond "I want to do trials"). It will also help if you did activities during law school that evince an interest in and aptitude for high-stakes trial work (moot court/mock trial, etc.). It will also help if you present well: be confident, be conversant, etc.

I wouldn't hold my breath—you're going to be competing against a lot of YHS grads with very good clerkships—but it's worth an app.

Could you PM me?
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work/worked at SG.

I wouldn't hold my breath—you're going to be competing against a lot of YHS grads with very good clerkships—but it's worth an app

Thanks for the insight. That's ^ generally how I felt about my clerkship apps and it worked out. Makes sense to apply (to other places as well) and stick with it if that's what I really want to do.

Return to “Legal Employment?