Effect of using Pass/Fail at OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Effect of using Pass/Fail at OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:05 pm

I just finished 1L at a Top 14 (PMDV) and did not do well second semester, taking my GPA from 3.45 to 3.26. I have the ability to convert a B grade from this last semester into a Pass, which would raise my GPA to 3.32. However, this was my Business Associations class, and I am hoping to pursue corporate Big Law after graduation.

Are there any negative consequences of using the Pass/Fail option and if so, does boosting my GPA outweigh them?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Effect of using Pass/Fail at OCI?

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:34 pm

I am guessing this is probably Michigan because I don't know of other schools in that range that allow it. The pass will have 0 implications for doing corporate work after.

It might affect you at OCI because if I saw a pass on a transcript and knew that it was for that reason I might think you would have done worse than a B. Is that the lowest grade you got? I guess it is probably worth doing, but would be an easier call if you could raise your gpa more than .06

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:35 pm

You can switch to pass/fail AFTER getting a grade in the class? wtf school did I go to.

Yeah absolutely do this. No one cares about specific subject related classes in law school. You will only use about 5% of what you learned in a Business Associations class in corporate biglaw world.

You should do anything that improves your GPA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:07 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
It might affect you at OCI because if I saw a pass on a transcript and knew that it was for that reason I might think you would have done worse than a B. Is that the lowest grade you got? I guess it is probably worth doing, but would be an easier call if you could raise your gpa more than .06

This is my main concern. I received a B+ and two B's last semester, but this is the only class I could use the P/F on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just finished 1L at a Top 14 (PMDV) and did not do well second semester, taking my GPA from 3.45 to 3.26. I have the ability to convert a B grade from this last semester into a Pass, which would raise my GPA to 3.32. However, this was my Business Associations class, and I am hoping to pursue corporate Big Law after graduation.

Are there any negative consequences of using the Pass/Fail option and if so, does boosting my GPA outweigh them?

I used my retroactive P/F on an A- in crim pro, which definitely risks people thinking I did worse than I actually did in that class. But nobody has asked me about it, and you can always explain yourself if they do. Protecting your GPA is important.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Postby eastcoast_iub » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just finished 1L at a Top 14 (PMDV) and did not do well second semester, taking my GPA from 3.45 to 3.26. I have the ability to convert a B grade from this last semester into a Pass, which would raise my GPA to 3.32. However, this was my Business Associations class, and I am hoping to pursue corporate Big Law after graduation.

I used my retroactive P/F on an A- in crim pro, which definitely risks people thinking I did worse than I actually did in that class. But nobody has asked me about it, and you can always explain yourself if they do. Protecting your GPA is important.

Solid humble brag.

Go blue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:46 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Solid humble brag.

Go blue.

Right? GTFO with that unnecessary humble bragging shit. You're not helping anyone.

OP, I had about 30 total firm screeners, and exactly 1 of them talked about grades with me. I got the strong impression that if you met a firm's overall GPA cutoff, they were going to decide on you based on something other than transcripts, and if you didn't meet their overall cutoff, you had a big uphill (if not completely impossible) battle regardless. I wouldn't necessarily worry about grades outside of the bottom-line GPA. Generic biglaw hiring doesn't seem to parse for that level of detail, so I wouldn't personally sweat the P.

That said, you have either 3 or 4 semesters left, so consider that you'll have a lot of opportunities to really want that P/F back if you only get 2...

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:49 pm

UM should publicize their retroactive Pass/Fail grading system more to prospective students. That seems like a huge plus factor.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:56 pm

None.

sanzgo

New

Postby sanzgo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 pm

holy shit how come i just found out about this policy

shoulda gone to michigan godammit

Return to “Legal Employment�