Discreetly taking second bar

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Discreetly taking second bar

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Current situation: biglaw associate in a major market (State A). Happy, but know I will eventually move to State B. Would like to take the State B bar at some point so that I could be considered for not only biglaw jobs there, but also government jobs that require being barred in State B.

Seemingly State B bar, if I applied, would contact my current employer, which wouldn't be great since I would like to stay here for a couple more years. Anyone else ran into this problem? Is there a way to navigate it without burning bridges at current firm. Also, I am at a pretty small office, so a letter from State B bar wouldn't just get lost in the administrative shuffle. Would be noticeable.

Night_L

New

Re: Discreetly taking second bar

Postby Night_L » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:09 pm

Do bar committees actually contact employers? Not that it matters since your employer has to sign and send in references as part of your application anyway. But I'm just surprised that the committee would actually actively verify that stuff.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Postby Mr. Peanutbutter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:49 am

Yeah, seems like a bad idea to try to fly under the radar with that? Also, expensive to maintain bar membership there for several years just to be prepared. Why not wait until you start job hunting (also, if you get another private firm isn't it pretty common for them to fund your bar expenses and give you time to sit for the new bar?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:03 am

I'm a biglaw associate taking my second bar in the last year. For one of the states they required someone at the firm. I just put down a close friend at the firm. Perhaps you could try that. For most states, you need to give at least someone at your current firm in order for them to verify you worked there. They usually send them some kind of form that asks if you are ethical ... etc. Nothing fancy.

The bar I am currently taking allows me to take the bar first and then do C&F.

It is often easier to get a job if you have the bar. If possible, I would take it first. Imagine the pressure of working and taking the bar, then what will happen to you in the unlikely event you fail the exam....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:32 am

If the state is UBE just sit for the NY one they don't require any character and fitness shit till after. Once you pass you can then apply to NY c&f otherwise transfer to score to the state that accepts it.

fratstar1

Bronze

Postby fratstar1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:34 am

Above was my unintentionally anonymous post

delusional

Silver

Postby delusional » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Any chance your future state will let you waive in after some number of years?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:31 am

delusional wrote:Any chance your future state will let you waive in after some number of years?

And here's a handy chart:

http://www.ncbex.org/pubs/bar-admission ... .html#p=48

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:39 pm

delusional wrote:Any chance your future state will let you waive in after some number of years?

Unfortunately I won't be practicing long enough. The New York UBE idea is enticing though...

Return to “Legal Employment�