Entry level associate position gone wrong

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Entry level associate position gone wrong

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Hit it off with the Associates and the managing EP, he knew I was sitting for July and when we got to the end of the interview he asked salary change? So I said between 85K-95K (last firm I was a 1L SA at, pays 75K to start). He shut the folder and kicked me out? i was taken back. thoughts?

jd20132013

Silver

Re: Entry level associate position gone wrong

Postby jd20132013 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:18 pm

You dodged a bullet

hangtime813

New

Postby hangtime813 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:12 pm

jd20132013 wrote:You dodged a bullet

Definitely dodged a bullet here. Even if this is considered high for this practice area/market/size of law firm, etc., the partner should have handled it a lot better.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Postby Bluem_11 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Certainly dodged one as other posters have said, and in my experience quite odd to ask a law student that question. Firms usually have a number they know and don't budge off it for 1st year associates.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Bluem_11 wrote:Certainly dodged one as other posters have said, and in my experience quite odd to ask a law student that question. Firms usually have a number they know and don't budge off it for 1st year associates.

Not really so with smaller firms which try to screw people by asking about salary hoping they lowball themselves. And this does not necessarily seem like a major market if the 1L SA paid $75k and OP is only asking for $85-95k here. Sucks for OP though, since it was both a hopeful job opportunity and also a waste of his/her time.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:34 pm

This was really badly handled by the firm. Op, I would advise you next time to find ways to delay/not answer this question unless you really do not want to go for a salary lower than what you mentioned. While you might dodged a bullet here, a normal firm that found your demands too high would have simple told you that they will give you a call only to send you a rejection. Either way is a no win.

Again this advice only applies if under circumstances you would consider a lower salary.

Return to “Legal Employment�