Michigan OCI 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Anyone else surprised at this year's outcome?! I didn't get that many screeners (more than 10 but less than the numbers said here)... Did anyone get more than 20? Wondering if this year's just more competitive than previous classes or we all want the same firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else surprised at this year's outcome?! I didn't get that many screeners (more than 10 but less than the numbers said here)... Did anyone get more than 20? Wondering if this year's just more competitive than previous classes or we all want the same firms.
I got 23 screeners. Bid almost exclusively NY + another primary market with my first 20 bids, then filled the last third of my list with firms from two secondary markets I have ties to.

bananatopia

New

Post by bananatopia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else surprised at this year's outcome?! I didn't get that many screeners (more than 10 but less than the numbers said here)... Did anyone get more than 20? Wondering if this year's just more competitive than previous classes or we all want the same firms.
Number of interviews is not a good way to look at it, except for extreme situations. The "extra" interviews tend to be the least valuable. Did you get the interviews you needed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:37 pm

bananatopia wrote:
Number of interviews is not a good way to look at it, except for extreme situations. The "extra" interviews tend to be the least valuable. Did you get the interviews you needed?
I got two firms that I wanted but those are reaches for me. I didn't get other ones I needed and I thought I bid them high. As of now, I don't have a lot of "safe" firms so I'm wondering what to do next.

bananatopia

New

Post by bananatopia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got two firms that I wanted but those are reaches for me. I didn't get other ones I needed and I thought I bid them high. As of now, I don't have a lot of "safe" firms so I'm wondering what to do next.
That sucks. At this point, just look for good opportunities during open signups and day-of signups, and do your best at all of your interviews. i don't know when you should start mass mailing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Remember that this is only half the battle. When the add/drop period happens, you'll be able to pick up more. For firms like Jones Day, you can probably email someone and just get a screener at will. For firms like Cravath, if you're grade-qualified and missed them, they'll almost certainly interview you. And, you can hustle *during* OCI and add extra slots, either by writing your name in when there's space or just by hitting up hospitality suites and asking (it helps if you bid on them - they'll be able to tell if you did or didn't). So, don't be disheartened if you didn't get as many screeners as you like from the first pass.

Vexed

Bronze

Post by Vexed » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 pm

bananatopia wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got two firms that I wanted but those are reaches for me. I didn't get other ones I needed and I thought I bid them high. As of now, I don't have a lot of "safe" firms so I'm wondering what to do next.
That sucks. At this point, just look for good opportunities during open signups and day-of signups, and do your best at all of your interviews. i don't know when you should start mass mailing.
Yesterday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Remember that this is only half the battle. When the add/drop period happens, you'll be able to pick up more. For firms like Jones Day, you can probably email someone and just get a screener at will. For firms like Cravath, if you're grade-qualified and missed them, they'll almost certainly interview you. And, you can hustle *during* OCI and add extra slots, either by writing your name in when there's space or just by hitting up hospitality suites and asking (it helps if you bid on them - they'll be able to tell if you did or didn't). So, don't be disheartened if you didn't get as many screeners as you like from the first pass.
About emailing, when is it good to email hiring partners/managers about getting an interview? Do I need to wait till it is closer to OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:22 pm

You need to be careful about emailing partners. Did you build connections w them previously? Mom/dad connections? If you know that they won't be bothered by you emailing them for this, and willing to vouch for you, then by all means go ahead. But often times what you're doing is creating work for them. You never want to do that.

I'd personally stick to emailing managers. It would help if you talked to them previously since they're likely swimming in tens and hundreds of these emails. Don't rush into panicking them emailing right away. Wait a bit, at least until the add/drop period is over.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm

I agree with the above. Wait until add-drop and the schedule is finalized. Definitely be willing to add your name on interview day, and/or try to schmooze at a hospitality suite.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:14 am

Are we automatically on the waitlist for a firm if we bid and didn't get an interview, or does it say somewhere on symplicity?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 am

21 Screeners for NYC + West Coast market

Missed:
Clifford Chance @ 12
Davis Polk @ 16
Cleary @ 17
Skadden @ 23
Milibank @ 26
WilmerHale @ 27
and then 3 random London firms at the bottom

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Can anyone explain to me how hospitality suites are different from other interview rooms?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone explain to me how hospitality suites are different from other interview rooms?
To my understanding, hospitality suites are where you network with people from the firms and the interview rooms are where you actually interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Remember that this is only half the battle. When the add/drop period happens, you'll be able to pick up more. For firms like Jones Day, you can probably email someone and just get a screener at will. For firms like Cravath, if you're grade-qualified and missed them, they'll almost certainly interview you. And, you can hustle *during* OCI and add extra slots, either by writing your name in when there's space or just by hitting up hospitality suites and asking (it helps if you bid on them - they'll be able to tell if you did or didn't). So, don't be disheartened if you didn't get as many screeners as you like from the first pass.
Mass mailed both yesterday, GPA above their median
Cravath: wait until the day of interview, people might drop their slots
Jones Day: Come to the hospitality suite
=(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mass mailed both yesterday, GPA above their median
Cravath: wait until the day of interview, people might drop their slots
Jones Day: Come to the hospitality suite
=(
Honestly bizarre about Jones Day...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 pm

How did adding period go for those with fewer than 14 firms?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:07 am

How likely will I be able to pick up some NYC firms during the next add period? I want to switch some DC firms for some NYC, but I don't want to drop those DC firms if I can't get any NYC firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:28 am

Is it possible to sign up for a waitlist for a firm that you didn't bid for?

Also, can we find out what # we are on for each waitlists?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Anyone add anything good?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to sign up for a waitlist for a firm that you didn't bid for?

Also, can we find out what # we are on for each waitlists?
No and no.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:49 pm

I can't believe I missed O'Melveny when I put them #2

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:33 pm

Do we know if they run wait list right after the add period ends? Will i have time to drop an interview and be considered for waitlist runs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I can't believe I missed O'Melveny when I put them #2
For NY office? I put OMM DC at 7 and get it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I can't believe I missed O'Melveny when I put them #2
Yep I put Sidley NYC at 2 and missed it as well

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.