Has anyone ever worked as a headhunter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawed Out

New

Has anyone ever worked as a headhunter?

Postby Lawed Out » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:33 pm

I've been practicing for four years: first biglaw, then in-house. I'll spare you the details, but I hate practicing law.

Has anyone worked as a headhunter with a recruiting firm? Not talking about internal firm recruiters. If so, I'd appreciate insight into comp potential (I realize it's commission, but I'm interested in realistic averages) and your thoughts on the job.

Thanks.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Re: Has anyone ever worked as a headhunter?

Postby Bluem_11 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:38 pm

This thread wasn't what I thought it was going to be.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:10 am

Lawed Out wrote:I've been practicing for four years: first biglaw, then in-house. I'll spare you the details, but I hate practicing law.

Has anyone worked as a headhunter with a recruiting firm? Not talking about internal firm recruiters. If so, I'd appreciate insight into comp potential (I realize it's commission, but I'm interested in realistic averages) and your thoughts on the job.

Thanks.

It's a sales job. If you are good at selling, you can make decent money. If not, it will be soul sucking and not remunerative.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:13 am

nealric wrote:
Lawed Out wrote:I've been practicing for four years: first biglaw, then in-house. I'll spare you the details, but I hate practicing law.

Thanks.

It's a sales job. If you are good at selling, you can make decent money. If not, it will be soul sucking and not remunerative.

Also, you probably already know this from your time practicing, but I think a lot of attorneys are hnnecessarily rude to head hunters. If 2nd year biglaw process monkeys acting like bigshots bother you, be aware.

bruinfan10

Silver

Postby bruinfan10 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:29 pm

Pokemon wrote:
nealric wrote:

Thanks.

Also, you probably already know this from your time practicing, but I think a lot of attorneys are hnnecessarily rude to head hunters. If 2nd year biglaw process monkeys acting like bigshots bother you, be aware.

agreed re the big shots thing, but i'm not sure people are "unnecessarily" rude to head hunters---getting multiple aggressive, long-winded solicitation calls a day is a pain in the ass, especially when a polite "no thank you" elicits their best "always be closing" reenactment. and a LOT of recruiters are shady scumsucking bottom feeders, even apart from whether or not their phone calls are annoying.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Postby Vincent Adultman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:48 pm

I would rather work in biglaw for free.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Postby Mickfromgm » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Back in the day, I heard recruiters got like $30k-70k for placing an associate, and well in six-figures for a decent partner. That was a long time ago, it's probably a lot more nowadays . . . .

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:21 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
Pokemon wrote:
nealric wrote:

Thanks.

agreed re the big shots thing, but i'm not sure people are "unnecessarily" rude to head hunters---getting multiple aggressive, long-winded solicitation calls a day is a pain in the ass, especially when a polite "no thank you" elicits their best "always be closing" reenactment. and a LOT of recruiters are shady scumsucking bottom feeders, even apart from whether or not their phone calls are annoying.

They have always been very nice to me though I am also a disarmingly nice phone conversationist.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Mickfromgm wrote:Back in the day, I heard recruiters got like $30k-70k for placing an associate, and well in six-figures for a decent partner. That was a long time ago, it's probably a lot more nowadays . . . .

Well, if it were easy money, a lot more people would pile into it, and then it wouldn't be such easy money. You might make over $100k for a partner placement, but you probably don't start doing partners, and you might go an entire year without a successful placement.

bruinfan10

Silver

Postby bruinfan10 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Pokemon wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:
Pokemon wrote:
nealric wrote:

Thanks.

They have always been very nice to me though I am also a disarmingly nice phone conversationist.

way to be duder. 90% of my calls they would talk for 5 minutes without taking a breath if i didn't interject.

snowball2

Bronze

Postby snowball2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Postby Mickfromgm » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:43 pm

nealric wrote:
Mickfromgm wrote:Back in the day, I heard recruiters got like $30k-70k for placing an associate, and well in six-figures for a decent partner. That was a long time ago, it's probably a lot more nowadays . . . .

Well, if it were easy money, a lot more people would pile into it, and then it wouldn't be such easy money. You might make over $100k for a partner placement, but you probably don't start doing partners, and you might go an entire year without a successful placement.

. . . . and where did I say or imply it was easy money? Op asked how much they make and I provided an (outdated) answer.

In fact, a lot of ex-attorneys rush in to be a junior headhunter and most wash out in several months if not sooner. Most don't have the mad skills to find, foster and retain big time clients (i.e., law firms, corporations et al), and no one likes to get abused by a 2nd year fokker when cold calling.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:44 am

Mickfromgm wrote:
nealric wrote:

. . . . and where did I say or imply it was easy money? Op asked how much they make and I provided an (outdated) answer.

In fact, a lot of ex-attorneys rush in to be a junior headhunter and most wash out in several months if not sooner. Most don't have the mad skills to find, foster and retain big time clients (i.e., law firms, corporations et al), and no one likes to get abused by a 2nd year fokker when cold calling.

Wasn't specifically directed at you- just letting people know not to be too tempted by the idea of a six figure paycheck for placing a partner.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Postby Vincent Adultman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Mickfromgm wrote:
nealric wrote:

You are pretty weird and give generally below average advice, given your career experience.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Maybe headhunters would command more respect if they didn't send obvious mail merge e-mails using phrases like "associates with your background", or, better yet, actually say "I've looked over your bio and think I have a pretty good idea of what you do and think this would be a great fit for you" when advertising an opportunity in a completely unrelated practice area. In what other profession is it standard for someone's opening move to be a bald-faced, unnecessary, and impossible-to-miss lie?

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Postby Vincent Adultman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:07 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Maybe headhunters would command more respect if they didn't send obvious mail merge e-mails using phrases like "associates with your background", or, better yet, actually say "I've looked over your bio and think I have a pretty good idea of what you do and think this would be a great fit for you" when advertising an opportunity in a completely unrelated practice area. In what other profession is it standard for someone's opening move to be a bald-faced, unnecessary, and impossible-to-miss lie?

It makes me think of the craigslist scammers who purposefully include typos and grammatical errors in their posts to filter out smart people.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Postby Mickfromgm » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:06 am

Martin Brody wrote:
Mickfromgm wrote:
nealric wrote:

You are pretty weird and give generally below average advice, given your career experience.

You mad? lol

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Postby Mickfromgm » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:08 am

nealric wrote:
Mickfromgm wrote:
nealric wrote:

Wasn't specifically directed at you- just letting people know not to be too tempted by the idea of a six figure paycheck for placing a partner.

Oops, my bad. Sorry.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Postby Vincent Adultman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:09 am

Mickfromgm wrote:
Martin Brody wrote:
Mickfromgm wrote:
nealric wrote:

You mad? lol

No? This is what I'm talking about, though.

Return to “Legal Employment�