Monthly/Annual Savings Goals

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Re: Monthly/Annual Savings Goals

Postby Mr. Peanutbutter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:27 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:NYC 2nd year. Maxing out 401k and saving 1k a month on top of that. We have a child and daycare is 2k a month. We're luckily buying an apartment and the tax advantage of owning will help (mortgage interest deduction).

Confused about this. You're adding an expense--interest payments--and then recouping 25-30% of that expense due to deductibility. How is that a net gain?

Presumably mortgage interest - deduction will be less than what they currently spend on rent?

DportIA

Bronze

Postby DportIA » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:51 am

Current Chicago 2nd year/market firm. I save ~ $8.5/month (6.5-7.0k post-tax, 1.5k 401k, +.3 HSA), w/ additional 1k/mo once the SS tax tops out in August.

Zero debt anywhere; $1.1k/mo rent (have a 2BR with roommate--sweet apt--lake michigan views); no car; no kids. Should end 2nd year with like $200k in the bank (inclusive 401k/roth/hsa/taxable brokerage) before boanus.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:23 pm

I save on average $3500/month post-tax ($5000 including 401k), which I think is reasonable to frugal for NYC first year. Monthly take-home is around $7000. I have $2000 in fixed costs (shared apt and bills), $1000 in personal expenses, $500 for vacations/other random non-recurring costs.

What do you guys do with your non-tax advantaged savings? Liquid? Index funds? Balanced portfolio? Mine is sadly just sitting in the savings account currently...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:06 am

3rd year Asian biglaw. Aiming to save $9k per month--with COLA montly after tax is ~12k and found a place with reasonable rents. No loans.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:I save on average $3500/month post-tax ($5000 including 401k), which I think is reasonable to frugal for NYC first year. Monthly take-home is around $7000. I have $2000 in fixed costs (shared apt and bills), $1000 in personal expenses, $500 for vacations/other random non-recurring costs.

What do you guys do with your non-tax advantaged savings? Liquid? Index funds? Balanced portfolio? Mine is sadly just sitting in the savings account currently...

I would do either index fund or turnkey rental property. If you want to diversify I would consider funds connected with promising foregin countries, e.g. India.

shock259

Gold

Postby shock259 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I just put mine into a personal investment account consisting of index funds. I chose a retirement index fund, which is 90% stocks (about 60% domestic and 40% foreign) and 10% bonds.

Assuming you aren't saving for something in the near term, and assuming you already have an emergency fund, I think this is a way better place to park cash than a savings account. The market has been on a run recently, but I've made thousands and thousands of dollars from this investment. Obviously just comes with the risk that you can lose a lot if the market crashes. But again, assuming you're saving this for the long term, it'll always come back. Or so I am told.

Yugihoe

Silver

Postby Yugihoe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Really impressed by the people saving 7-9k/month. Good shit.

Return to “Legal Employment�