Northwestern OCI 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:05 am

New anon, also all about that litigation.
Would love ppls thoughts on the benefits/drawbacks of boutique lit v. big law lit? And besides Eimer Stahl & Barack ferrazzano are there anyother lit boutiques coming to OCI?

ghostoftraynor

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby ghostoftraynor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:what have people's experience been cold-emailing Chicago firms? There were some posts in last years OCI's thread that this was not advisable for Chicago and we should wait for OCI. Is this still a good idea? Has anyone gotten anything from Chicago firms yet via mass mail?

i wanna send sidley/kirkland/skadden/latham/etc my resume and transcript, but i don't wanna do anything to make myself or the school look bad.

also, i should note that Winston sent an email after the recruiting event inviting us to send grades and resumes to them before July 1, so it looks at like at least one firm is on board.


I wouldn't worry about the school here. Obviously, be a good representative of the school, but strict adherence to their guidelines might not be in your best interest. If you can pass along your resume in a non-awk way, go for it.

To poster above, not in lit, but looked into it. Barack seemed like a cool place. Botiques are cool, but I doubt hours will be much better if that's what you are worried about. Also, do not do a Chicago botique if you plan on lateraling out of the Chicago market to a minor market any time soon. I'm sure the lit botiques in big cities all know of eachother, but if you are moving back to Iowa City, I'm not sure the names will mean anything. Also, don't be all about that litigation if you don't have ties. It's ok to go mostly lit, but put your corporate hat on a few times.

Downsides of biglaw seems obvious, but happily to add that as well if you need some balance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:44 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Mullens wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when the school will send email notices to K&E scholar recipients?


I found out 6/30 last year


Is it safe to assume you receive the K&E award if you got an A+?


Each professor gives out 3-4 A+'s per class and there is only one K&E award per class. You're more likely to not get one than to get one.


Does the registrar send out the notices?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:New anon, also all about that litigation.
Would love ppls thoughts on the benefits/drawbacks of boutique lit v. big law lit? And besides Eimer Stahl & Barack ferrazzano are there anyother lit boutiques coming to OCI?


The general benefit of a boutique is that you can get good experience faster than you would in big law. I also suspect the culture at boutiques is also much different than big law firms. Smaller pond, etc. But as someone else said, if you have even the most remote desire to transfer to a different market, I would avoid a boutique. The reason is that you just don't read about lawyers going from a boutique to a big law firm. While that may be explained by the fact that boutique lawyers don't want to leave a small pond to swim in a big one, I imagine it's largely because big firms aren't interested in laterals from boutiques. The simple fact is that you're likely to lateral within three to five years, so it makes more sense to start big and go small. Now, there are exceptions (e.g., Susman Godfrey). But I would avoid a boutique so early in your career.

ETA: This is my anecdotal opinion. You should definitely reach out to other people with this question if you are seriously interested in a boutique.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:55 am

How much does your GPA effect what journal you get on to? With a 3.689, is it safe to say NULR is out of the picture?

Also, with a 3.689, 3.68, whatever you want to call it, will the top Biglaw firms (K&E, Sidley, Latham, for example) in Chicago ding you due to GPA? Do you just need to interview really well to get past the screener? If a firm's median from the career services spreadsheet is a 3.74, for example, what will happen if I walk into the screener and they see I am at a 3.68? Anything?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:How much does your GPA effect what journal you get on to? With a 3.689, is it safe to say NULR is out of the picture?

Also, with a 3.689, 3.68, whatever you want to call it, will the top Biglaw firms (K&E, Sidley, Latham, for example) in Chicago ding you due to GPA? Do you just need to interview really well to get past the screener? If a firm's median from the career services spreadsheet is a 3.74, for example, what will happen if I walk into the screener and they see I am at a 3.68? Anything?


If the median is 3.74 that means 1/2 the people getting callbacks have below a 3.74... so no, I'd say that means you won't necessarily be dinged on grades alone. Grades are 45% (I believe) of NULR selection criteria.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:10 am

Speaking of which, any rumors on when NULR will send out invites?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much does your GPA effect what journal you get on to? With a 3.689, is it safe to say NULR is out of the picture?

Also, with a 3.689, 3.68, whatever you want to call it, will the top Biglaw firms (K&E, Sidley, Latham, for example) in Chicago ding you due to GPA? Do you just need to interview really well to get past the screener? If a firm's median from the career services spreadsheet is a 3.74, for example, what will happen if I walk into the screener and they see I am at a 3.68? Anything?


Re: your second question, you have grades to get an offer from KE and similar firms, but it's a stretch. What you should focus on is not focusing on your grades at all during your interviews. Just be confident and likable in your interview -- put grades out of your mind.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Speaking of which, any rumors on when NULR will send out invites?


In 2015 calls were made the week of 7/19.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Speaking of which, any rumors on when NULR will send out invites?


In 2015 calls were made the week of 7/19.



ME of a journal here. We expect to send out offers around mid-July.

Feel free to ask me any questions, happy to help!

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:16 am

Since the class schedules are out, any advice from rising 3Ls etc. re: classes to take? What classes did you love/regret/wish you took? Any professors to avoid?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Since the class schedules are out, any advice from rising 3Ls etc. re: classes to take? What classes did you love/regret/wish you took? Any professors to avoid?


If you go look at the Northwestern thread in "ask a law student" you can search by professor name and look around for recommendations. Super helpful when picking classes. This year is going to be different though because of the mandatory curve, who knows how professors are going to be.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Bidding is open.

User avatar
Kinky John

Silver
Posts: 1138
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Kinky John » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Since the class schedules are out, any advice from rising 3Ls etc. re: classes to take? What classes did you love/regret/wish you took? Any professors to avoid?


It's easier if you just ask about a specific class. Some people hate xyz professors/classes, others love them. And with the new grades, advice might change a bit.

Start posting those bidlists
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Susie sent out email saying calls for journals will go out starting this evening. Wow! That was fast.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Does anyone know if K&E scholar notices have gone out?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Susie sent out email saying calls for journals will go out starting this evening. Wow! That was fast.


I wonder if law review makes the first calls

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Susie sent out email saying calls for journals will go out starting this evening. Wow! That was fast.


I wonder if law review makes the first calls

Is it Cliff making all the calls? (Or Susie now I guess.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Susie sent out email saying calls for journals will go out starting this evening. Wow! That was fast.


I wonder if law review makes the first calls

Is it Cliff making all the calls? (Or Susie now I guess.)

I guess I always assumed that LR would make the calls...

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Susie sent out email saying calls for journals will go out starting this evening. Wow! That was fast.


I wonder if law review makes the first calls

Is it Cliff making all the calls? (Or Susie now I guess.)

I guess I always assumed that LR would make the calls...

Yea. I could be totally off though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Susie sent out email saying calls for journals will go out starting this evening. Wow! That was fast.


I wonder if law review makes the first calls

Is it Cliff making all the calls? (Or Susie now I guess.)

I guess I always assumed that LR would make the calls...

Yea. I could be totally off though.


Anyone got a call yet?

User avatar
star fox

Diamond
Posts: 20789
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby star fox » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:40 pm

They've probably already figured out who goes where, so the calls will go out when the editors get around to it, and not based on a pecking order.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:33 pm

star fox wrote:They've probably already figured out who goes where, so the calls will go out when the editors get around to it, and not based on a pecking order.


Eh. If just one person who landed NULR decides they don't want to put in the work, it would throw everything off. I imagine they have to let NULR fill its incoming class before they start letting the other journals make calls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327246
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
star fox wrote:They've probably already figured out who goes where, so the calls will go out when the editors get around to it, and not based on a pecking order.


Eh. If just one person who landed NULR decides they don't want to put in the work, it would throw everything off. I imagine they have to let NULR fill its incoming class before they start letting the other journals make calls.


Are they actually making calls tonight? It's seems like it's already too late.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.