Northwestern OCI 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
star fox wrote:They've probably already figured out who goes where, so the calls will go out when the editors get around to it, and not based on a pecking order.

Eh. If just one person who landed NULR decides they don't want to put in the work, it would throw everything off. I imagine they have to let NULR fill its incoming class before they start letting the other journals make calls.

Are they actually making calls tonight? It's seems like it's already too late.

I doubt they'd make calls while people are still at work. I wouldn't be shocked if they were making calls right now, continuing for another couple hours or so.

Radio silence for me so far, though :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
star fox wrote:They've probably already figured out who goes where, so the calls will go out when the editors get around to it, and not based on a pecking order.

Eh. If just one person who landed NULR decides they don't want to put in the work, it would throw everything off. I imagine they have to let NULR fill its incoming class before they start letting the other journals make calls.

I doubt they'd make calls while people are still at work. I wouldn't be shocked if they were making calls right now, continuing for another couple hours or so.

Haven't heard of anyone getting a call yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If they said they're going to call tonight, my guess is they did all of the calls for NULR. Could it actually take them five hours to make 30 calls? Maybe... Like someone else said though, someone who got offers could transfer to Yale, in which case an extra call goes out later. I would expect JCLC etc. to go out soon though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If they said they're going to call tonight, my guess is they did all of the calls for NULR. Could it actually take them five hours to make 30 calls? Maybe... Like someone else said though, someone who got offers could transfer to Yale, in which case an extra call goes out later. I would expect JCLC etc. to go out soon though...

In the past, did all the calls for NULR go out in one evening?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

In the past, did all the calls for NULR go out in one evening?

I doubt anyone but the former editors know, but why not? The only reason to tell people now is to help students w/ precruiting. Why would they advantage some students over others?

The only reason I can think of for not sending out all the calls in one evening is that they only knew for certain about some people (who got super high scores in all areas), but are taking a second look at the close cases to make sure they got their scores for the writing & personal statement sections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They started making calls a few hours ago. Good luck everyone!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's because you're told not to tell anyone. Received the call a few hours ago. Good luck everyone!

Congrats! Yeah agree that they're done making their calls

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's because you're told not to tell anyone. Received the call a few hours ago. Good luck everyone!

Can confirm a 1L I know got the call (maybe anon above). Was within 2 hrs of email, so you guys do the math how long it takes to call 30 people. But don't give up hope until the night is done/ tomorrow if someone decides not to join (which I doubt).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can confirm a 1L I know got the call (maybe anon above). Was within 2 hrs of email, so you guys do the math how long it takes to call 30 people. But don't give up hope until the night is done/ tomorrow if someone decides not to join (which I doubt).

Well it's not just one person making all the calls so it shouldn't have taken very long

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:20 pm

How do we know multiple people are making calls?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:How do we know multiple people are making calls?

Multiple ppl made calls in the past fwiw

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:53 am

Law Review isn't going to make or break you. It matters more if you're trying to clerk. Don't stress on it too much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:15 am

star fox wrote:Law Review isn't going to make or break you. It matters more if you're trying to clerk. Don't stress on it too much.

Ugh but I am trying to clerk...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:16 am

Anyone on LR know how they factored in the diversity/personal statement? Was it outcome determinative for anyone?

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone on LR know how they factored in the diversity/personal statement? Was it outcome determinative for anyone?

Don't do this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:31 am

Mullens wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone on LR know how they factored in the diversity/personal statement? Was it outcome determinative for anyone?

Don't do this.

Why? Reportedly Yale LR factors it super heavily, and this is our first year trying it. It would be interesting to see if NW is moving towards the Yale model in this regard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:42 am

It's not the first year. We also did it last year.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
star fox wrote:Law Review isn't going to make or break you. It matters more if you're trying to clerk. Don't stress on it too much.

Ugh but I am trying to clerk...

Well whatever Kadens tells you, but you're not screwed by any means if you don't get Law Review if your grades are good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:38 pm

So bringing this thread back to OCI, I've done prelimminary research and am looking at these firms. Have a 3.89 GPA & Moot Court. Priorities: (1) Litigation (only) (2) Location (Chi, DC, will bid some NYC for safety), (3) Culture (just started a family, though I'm willing to work at a sweatshop for 3-4 yrs and bail for AUSA etc.), (4) [bonus] some connection to government. I'm thinking places like Jones Day, Gibson Dunn, Covington, Jenner...

Any tips on bid list? Any firms below that I should prioritize, or ones I can safely cross off?

Very interested:
Sidley Austin LLP
Jones Day
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Latham & Watkins LLP
WilmerHale
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Paul Hastings LLP
Baker McKenzie
Williams & Connolly LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates
Covington & Burling LLP
Jenner & Block LLP
O'Melveny & Myers LLP

Somewhat interested:
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
Ropes & Gray LLP
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP
Hogan Lovells US LLP
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Simpson Thacher & Bartlet LLP
Winston & Strawn LLP
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
Mayer Brown LLP
White & Case
DLA Piper
Dentons US LLP
Bryan Cave
Holland & Hart LLP
Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So bringing this thread back to OCI, I've done prelimminary research and am looking at these firms. Have a 3.89 GPA & LR & Moot Court. Priorities: (1) Litigation (only) (2) Location (Chi, DC, will bid some NYC for safety), (3) Culture (just started a family, though I'm willing to work at a sweatshop for 3-4 yrs and bail for AUSA etc.), (4) [bonus] some connection to government. I'm thinking places like Jones Day, Gibson Dunn, Covington, Jenner...

Any tips on bid list? Any firms below that I should prioritize, or ones I can safely cross off?

Very interested:
Sidley Austin LLP
Jones Day
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Latham & Watkins LLP
WilmerHale
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Paul Hastings LLP
Baker McKenzie
Williams & Connolly LLP
Covington & Burling LLP
Jenner & Block LLP
O'Melveny & Myers LLP

Somewhat interested:
Ropes & Gray LLP
Hogan Lovells US LLP
Winston & Strawn LLP
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
Mayer Brown LLP
White & Case
DLA Piper
Dentons US LLP
Bryan Cave
Holland & Hart LLP
Faegre Baker Daniels LLP

Bid your top Chicago picks first, all top 5 for sure - something like Sidley, Kirkland, Latham, Skadden, Baker (although I think this actually goes super high because they don't have as high a grade cutoff as the other four, so maybe put them #1) then after that go for the New York ones you like such as Cravath, Weil, PW, and SullCrom. D.C. isn't popular at Northwestern so you could probably score interviews there if you put them in late.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:03 pm

star fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So bringing this thread back to OCI, I've done prelimminary research and am looking at these firms. Have a 3.89 GPA & LR & Moot Court. Priorities: (1) Litigation (only) (2) Location (Chi, DC, will bid some NYC for safety), (3) Culture (just started a family, though I'm willing to work at a sweatshop for 3-4 yrs and bail for AUSA etc.), (4) [bonus] some connection to government. I'm thinking places like Jones Day, Gibson Dunn, Covington, Jenner...

Very interested:
Sidley Austin LLP
Jones Day
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Latham & Watkins LLP
WilmerHale
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Paul Hastings LLP
Baker McKenzie
Williams & Connolly LLP
Covington & Burling LLP
Jenner & Block LLP
O'Melveny & Myers LLP

Somewhat interested:
Ropes & Gray LLP
Hogan Lovells US LLP
Winston & Strawn LLP
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
Mayer Brown LLP
White & Case
DLA Piper
Dentons US LLP
Bryan Cave
Holland & Hart LLP
Faegre Baker Daniels LLP

Bid your top Chicago picks first, all top 5 for sure - something like Sidley, Kirkland, Latham, Skadden, Baker (although I think this actually goes super high because they don't have as high a grade cutoff as the other four, so maybe put them #1) then after that go for the New York ones you like such as Cravath, Weil, PW, and SullCrom. D.C. isn't popular at Northwestern so you could probably score interviews there if you put them in late.

Another question: I'm interested in a couple of firms (Kirkland, Sidley) that are big in DC & Chicago. I prefer DC as a market, but these firms have bigger litigation departments in Chicago. Technically on Symplicity I can bid for Chicago & DC separately. Should I try to get separate interviews for each office? If not, is it unwise to mention that I'm interested in both markets?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
star fox wrote:

Very interested:
Sidley Austin LLP
Jones Day
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Latham & Watkins LLP
WilmerHale
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Paul Hastings LLP
Baker McKenzie
Williams & Connolly LLP
Covington & Burling LLP
Jenner & Block LLP
O'Melveny & Myers LLP

Somewhat interested:
Ropes & Gray LLP
Hogan Lovells US LLP
Winston & Strawn LLP
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
Mayer Brown LLP
White & Case
DLA Piper
Dentons US LLP
Bryan Cave
Holland & Hart LLP
Faegre Baker Daniels LLP

Another question: I'm interested in a couple of firms (Kirkland, Sidley) that are big in DC & Chicago. I prefer DC as a market, but these firms have bigger litigation departments in Chicago. Technically on Symplicity I can bid for Chicago & DC separately. Should I try to get separate interviews for each office? If not, is it unwise to mention that I'm interested in both markets?

So far my bidlist is:

1 Baker & McKenzie LLP (Chi)
2 Sidley Austin LLP (Chi)
3 Latham & Watkins LLP (Chi)
4 Kirkland & Ellis LLP (Chi)
5 Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates (Chi)
6 Mayer Brown LLP (Chi)
7 Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP (NYC)
8 Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP (NYC)
9 Sullivan & Cromwell LLP (NYC)
10 Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP (NYC)
11 Paul Hastings LLP (NYC)
12 Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz ()
13 Jones Day (DC)
14 WilmerHale (DC)
15 Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP (DC)
16 Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP (DC)
17 Covington & Burling LLP (DC)
18 Baker Botts LLP (DC)
19 Jenner & Block LLP (DC)
20 Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP ()
21 O'Melveny & Myers LLP (DC)
22 Williams & Connolly LLP (DC)
23 Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP (Chi)
24 Bryan Cave (Den)
25 Faegre Baker Daniels LLP (Den)
26 Holland & Hart LLP (Den)
27 Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP (Chi)

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
star fox wrote:

Very interested:
Sidley Austin LLP
Jones Day
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Latham & Watkins LLP
WilmerHale
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Paul Hastings LLP
Baker McKenzie
Williams & Connolly LLP
Covington & Burling LLP
Jenner & Block LLP
O'Melveny & Myers LLP

Somewhat interested:
Ropes & Gray LLP
Hogan Lovells US LLP
Winston & Strawn LLP
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
Mayer Brown LLP
White & Case
DLA Piper
Dentons US LLP
Bryan Cave
Holland & Hart LLP
Faegre Baker Daniels LLP

If you're allowed to then sure, bid both. They'll probably see that you're bidding both offices so you'll want to be more forthcoming about it then maybe you'd be otherwise but don't come right and talk about how you want to be in D.C. when you're interviewing in Chicago and vice-versa. I don't know much about interviewing with two offices of a firm tbh because I never did that, those are just my general impressions.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
star fox wrote:

Very interested:
Sidley Austin LLP
Jones Day
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Latham & Watkins LLP
WilmerHale
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Paul Hastings LLP
Baker McKenzie
Williams & Connolly LLP
Covington & Burling LLP
Jenner & Block LLP
O'Melveny & Myers LLP

Somewhat interested:
Ropes & Gray LLP
Hogan Lovells US LLP
Winston & Strawn LLP
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
Mayer Brown LLP
White & Case
DLA Piper
Dentons US LLP
Bryan Cave
Holland & Hart LLP
Faegre Baker Daniels LLP

So far my bidlist is:

6 Mayer Brown LLP (Chi)
13 Jones Day (DC)
14 WilmerHale (DC)
18 Baker Botts LLP (DC)
24 Bryan Cave (Den)

Looks good, only minor nitpicks is I'd put Kirkland ahead of Latham since they're the biggest shop in town and so they're pretty popular. I think it's probably safe at 4 but closer to a guarantee at 3. You can throw in a couple other Chicago firms like Winston and McDermott after those Chicago once you listed and probably snag interviews without having to worry about missing out on your NY targets. I'll defer to people who bid D.C. as to whether any specific firms there need to be put higher.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
star fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So bringing this thread back to OCI, I've done prelimminary research and am looking at these firms. Have a 3.XX GPA & LR & Moot Court. Priorities: (1) Litigation (only) (2) Location (Chi, DC, will bid some NYC for safety), (3) Culture (just started a family, though I'm willing to work at a sweatshop for 3-4 yrs and bail for AUSA etc.), (4) [bonus] some connection to government. I'm thinking places like Jones Day, Gibson Dunn, Covington, Jenner...

Very interested:
Sidley Austin LLP
Jones Day
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Latham & Watkins LLP
WilmerHale
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Paul Hastings LLP
Baker McKenzie
Williams & Connolly LLP
Covington & Burling LLP
Jenner & Block LLP
O'Melveny & Myers LLP

Somewhat interested:
Ropes & Gray LLP
Hogan Lovells US LLP
Winston & Strawn LLP
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
Mayer Brown LLP
White & Case
DLA Piper
Dentons US LLP
Bryan Cave
Holland & Hart LLP
Faegre Baker Daniels LLP

So far my bidlist is:

6 Mayer Brown LLP (Chi)
13 Jones Day (DC)
14 WilmerHale (DC)
18 Baker Botts LLP (DC)
24 Bryan Cave (Den)

Your bidlist looks fine in the abstract but it would be helpful for you (and everyone else who posts after you) to include the number of screener spots. I have a general idea but some of them change year to year and it might impact where you bid certain firms.
Last edited by Mullens on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”