Clerkship -> AUSA timing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship -> AUSA timing

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Has anyone successfully made the direct jump? I keep hearing that the direct transition is near impossible and that I will need to have a solid backup. Given the bonus and clawback this seems doubly hard.

forza

Gold

Re: Clerkship -> AUSA timing

Post by forza » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:00 pm

It is atypical, but not impossible. Some folks in my regional district went straight from D. Ct. to the AUSA's office in that district. I'm sure it's harder to do in more competitive places.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:19 pm

I made the direct jump. I applied super early, interviewed super early was in limbo for 5 months. I ultimately had to back out of the firm job I accepted in the interim.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Do you mean law school --> clerkship --> AUSA, or are you including having work experience between law school and clerking? I know three people who made the LS --> clerk --> AUSA jump, although only one did it after a one-year clerkship (and to a fairly undesirable location) - the others clerked for multiple years (1 went to the office in the district where they clerked, the other went to the same undesirable location as above).

I know more people who worked for a firm --> clerked --> AUSA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you mean law school --> clerkship --> AUSA, or are you including having work experience between law school and clerking? I know three people who made the LS --> clerk --> AUSA jump, although only one did it after a one-year clerkship (and to a fairly undesirable location) - the others clerked for multiple years (1 went to the office in the district where they clerked, the other went to the same undesirable location as above).

I know more people who worked for a firm --> clerked --> AUSA.
The latter, actually. Good to know that you do know people.

I know honors is easier but was hearing USAOs were harder to time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”