DF Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RufusShinra

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:45 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby RufusShinra » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:21 am

lavarman84 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
RufusShinra wrote:Consider it done.

I do not like "consider it done." If I'm asking you to do something, I want you to do that thing. When a junior associate responds "consider it done," they are suggesting to me that the thing is already done, and that it therefore doesn't need doing at all. I consider this a challenge to my authority.

So please do not tell me to "consider it done" when I clearly believe that the "it" is undone or underdone.


It is not a challenge to your authority. Rather, it is the junior's way of saying, "I am so reliable that you might as well consider anything you give to me as done because I won't let you down." They are professing their loyalty to you. You should be flattered and immediately make them your right-hand man.

However, "sounds like a plan" definitely challenges your authority and manhood. They are refusing to affirm that you, in fact, gave them an actual plan. Rather, they are only willing to admit that it sounds like a plan, but they must make the determination of whether or not it is actually a plan. This puts them in the driver seat, and it means that they are looking to cut you off at the knees. Be very wary of associates who use that response. I recommend subtly putting them in their place by not acknowledging them the next time you see them. Bonus points if you say hello to an associate standing in their general vicinity while not acknowledging them.


Exactly :lol:

User avatar
stego

Platinum
Posts: 5302
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby stego » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:40 am

"I look forward to crossing this off my to-do list."

User avatar
Vincent Adultman

Silver
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 2:08 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Vincent Adultman » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:59 am

I haven't killed myself yet, so will do.

User avatar
jess

Diamond
Posts: 18149
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby jess » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:26 pm

.
Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notgreat

Silver
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby notgreat » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:28 pm

nah, weird anon was just another tls version of autism speaks.

Blackfish

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:58 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Blackfish » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:38 pm

"on it bruh. oh, u betta BELEE dat"

Blackfish

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:58 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Blackfish » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:44 pm

"will do with pleasure" or alternatively "will pleasurably do"

User avatar
Mickfromgm

Bronze
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Mickfromgm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:50 pm

Blackfish wrote:"will do with pleasure" or alternatively "will pleasurably do"


Do you want the OP to be labeled a weirdo? Or get a wrong kind of offer? :0

Blackfish

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:58 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Blackfish » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Mickfromgm wrote:
Blackfish wrote:"will do with pleasure" or alternatively "will pleasurably do"


Do you want the OP to be labeled a weirdo? Or get a wrong kind of offer? :0


if you're at DLA Piper, you may also say "will enjoy."

User avatar
Johann

Diamond
Posts: 19697
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Johann » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:12 am

Just don't respond. Then like 90% of the time you have exactly what they want final product when they follow up (but wait for the ask) and 10% you just don't do it and don't have the product they ask for. It's called training up noobs. But your 90% work has to be really good.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond
Posts: 10172
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Mr. Peanutbutter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:44 am

There's one junior who can't seem to understand that "will do" is almost always the only acceptable answer. He'll say things like "I can turn my attention to your assignment after I complete [task on completely different case]. Given how busy I have been today I anticipate getting it done in the morning" and it'll be like 4:30 PM.

User avatar
shelob

Silver
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby shelob » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:38 am

I stick with will do, understood, or done

Sometimes I use "turning to this now" if it's urgent to show I'm dropping other shit

User avatar
Yugihoe

Silver
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Yugihoe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:52 am

lavarman84 wrote:However, "sounds like a plan" definitely challenges your authority and manhood. They are refusing to affirm that you, in fact, gave them an actual plan. Rather, they are only willing to admit that it sounds like a plan, but they must make the determination of whether or not it is actually a plan. This puts them in the driver seat, and it means that they are looking to cut you off at the knees. Be very wary of associates who use that response. I recommend subtly putting them in their place by not acknowledging them the next time you see them. Bonus points if you say hello to an associate standing in their general vicinity while not acknowledging them.



This was underrated :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Wild Card

Bronze
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Wild Card » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Cucks!

We have all been raised to be courteous in our dealings with our fellow man, and woman. I submit, however, that in the context of email, we should all be relieved of the obligation to send the routine “thanks” email to acknowledge a response to a routine request. I won’t do the arithmetic here, but I think any of u can calculate the time cost of opening an email, reading it and deleting it. Its not worth it.

Henceforth all responses to emails shall be deemed to be properly acknowledged and appreciated. “Thanks” beyond that is unnecessary (and not appreciated).

John B. Quinn


http://abovethelaw.com/2015/08/associat ... thank-you/

Diplock1

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:34 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Diplock1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:40 pm


User avatar
sublime

Diamond
Posts: 17386
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Wild Card wrote:Cucks!

We have all been raised to be courteous in our dealings with our fellow man, and woman. I submit, however, that in the context of email, we should all be relieved of the obligation to send the routine “thanks” email to acknowledge a response to a routine request. I won’t do the arithmetic here, but I think any of u can calculate the time cost of opening an email, reading it and deleting it. Its not worth it.

Henceforth all responses to emails shall be deemed to be properly acknowledged and appreciated. “Thanks” beyond that is unnecessary (and not appreciated).

John B. Quinn


http://abovethelaw.com/2015/08/associat ... thank-you/


Lol. JFC.

User avatar
elendinel

Silver
Posts: 975
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby elendinel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:46 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize this isn't a serious thread, but in case anyone reading this actually wants to know, as a senior associate, what I like to receive (and what I would send myself) are:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I don't think any of those sound obsequious, and I'm grateful for the response that sounds polite and tells me all I need to know.

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it. The latter two are just too abrupt and sound like you're annoyed to be asked.


If you didn't make sure to tell us that this is a serious post, I would have assumed it was satire. "Got it" and "on it" are too abrupt and sound like the sender is annoyed, but "OK" and "Sure" are not too abrupt and convey giddiness at having received the assignment?


I came here basically to say this. Wut?


In addition to some of the other (serious) suggestions, I've also seen people send some variation of:

"I should be able to help out."

Blackfish

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:58 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Blackfish » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:19 pm

"si, se puede."

Foghornleghorn

Bronze
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Foghornleghorn » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize this isn't a serious thread, but in case anyone reading this actually wants to know, as a senior associate, what I like to receive (and what I would send myself) are:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I don't think any of those sound obsequious, and I'm grateful for the response that sounds polite and tells me all I need to know.

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it. The latter two are just too abrupt and sound like you're annoyed to be asked.


A moment of silence for the juniors working under this self-righteous cheesedick.


More like a moment of silence for the junior who received a negative review and got pushed out b/c of this sperglord

User avatar
cfcm

Silver
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:30 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby cfcm » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:26 pm

If you say so.

Jchance

Silver
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Jchance » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Confirming.

User avatar
star fox

Diamond
Posts: 20786
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby star fox » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:55 pm

I'll either complete this task or die. Stay tuned.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312985
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Wilco. Out.

JusticeJackson

Silver
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby JusticeJackson » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:46 pm

.
Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby TLSModBot » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:08 pm

star fox wrote:I'll either complete this task or die. Stay tuned.

I'm actually going to use this one



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.