DF Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Mickfromgm

Bronze
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Mickfromgm » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:37 pm

"Anything you say, big boi"

Anonymous User
Posts: 326666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize this isn't a serious thread, but in case anyone reading this actually wants to know, as a senior associate, what I like to receive (and what I would send myself) are:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I don't think any of those sound obsequious, and I'm grateful for the response that sounds polite and tells me all I need to know.

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it. The latter two are just too abrupt and sound like you're annoyed to be asked.


I think you proved it is


I proved what is what? That "will do" is obsequious? Is it only junior lawyers who think like this? You're a completely inexperienced, unqualified lawyer and a new person in an office (if you are a summer associate). It's not obsequious to say "will do" or something like it when asked by someone who is, in effect, your boss, to do a task. If you followed "will do" with "and then please could I lick your boots?" THAT would obsequious (inter alia). As in most businesses and offices, there is a hierarchy here, and you're at the bottom. It's not a place of shame, no one thinks less of you; but your role is to be given tasks by people senior to you in experience, and to accept them.

jd20132013

Silver
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm

Lol

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:53 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Lol

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:31 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize this isn't a serious thread, but in case anyone reading this actually wants to know, as a senior associate, what I like to receive (and what I would send myself) are:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I don't think any of those sound obsequious, and I'm grateful for the response that sounds polite and tells me all I need to know.

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it. The latter two are just too abrupt and sound like you're annoyed to be asked.


I think you proved it is


I proved what is what? That "will do" is obsequious? Is it only junior lawyers who think like this? You're a completely inexperienced, unqualified lawyer and a new person in an office (if you are a summer associate). It's not obsequious to say "will do" or something like it when asked by someone who is, in effect, your boss, to do a task. If you followed "will do" with "and then please could I lick your boots?" THAT would obsequious (inter alia). As in most businesses and offices, there is a hierarchy here, and you're at the bottom. It's not a place of shame, no one thinks less of you; but your role is to be given tasks by people senior to you in experience, and to accept them.


I agree. There's no shame in being a bottom. Some guys are tops, some are bottoms. No big deal.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4955
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I realize this isn't a serious thread, but in case anyone reading this actually wants to know, as a senior associate, what I like to receive (and what I would send myself) are:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I don't think any of those sound obsequious, and I'm grateful for the response that sounds polite and tells me all I need to know.

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it. The latter two are just too abrupt and sound like you're annoyed to be asked.


You're joking, right? You actually hold it against your junior associates when they say "Got it" or "Sounds good" in response to an assignment?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:13 pm

Do not like =\= hold using it against someone.

Obviously DF does not like "will do" or he wouldn't have started this thread.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4955
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:15 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Do not like =\= hold using it against someone.

Obviously DF does not like "will do" or he wouldn't have started this thread.


I dunno. I just assume that everything DF says is a minor-league troll attempt.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:16 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Do not like =\= hold using it against someone.

Obviously DF does not like "will do" or he wouldn't have started this thread.


I dunno. I just assume that everything DF says is a minor-league troll attempt.

Well sure, but he wouldn't be so successful if he didn't latch onto kernels of truth a lot of the time.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I realize this isn't a serious thread, but in case anyone reading this actually wants to know, as a senior associate, what I like to receive (and what I would send myself) are:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I don't think any of those sound obsequious, and I'm grateful for the response that sounds polite and tells me all I need to know.

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it. The latter two are just too abrupt and sound like you're annoyed to be asked.


A moment of silence for the juniors working under this self-righteous cheesedick.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize this isn't a serious thread, but in case anyone reading this actually wants to know, as a senior associate, what I like to receive (and what I would send myself) are:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I don't think any of those sound obsequious, and I'm grateful for the response that sounds polite and tells me all I need to know.

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it. The latter two are just too abrupt and sound like you're annoyed to be asked.


You're joking, right? You actually hold it against your junior associates when they say "Got it" or "Sounds good" in response to an assignment?

You know how you know law students? Some of them become lawyers. And then some of them become senior associates.

I don't think this should be surprising at all.

Diplock1

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:34 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Diplock1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:as a senior associate





(inter alia)


lol

notgreat

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby notgreat » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize this isn't a serious thread, but in case anyone reading this actually wants to know, as a senior associate, what I like to receive (and what I would send myself) are:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I don't think any of those sound obsequious, and I'm grateful for the response that sounds polite and tells me all I need to know.

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it. The latter two are just too abrupt and sound like you're annoyed to be asked.


I think you proved it is


I proved what is what? That "will do" is obsequious? Is it only junior lawyers who think like this? You're a completely inexperienced, unqualified lawyer and a new person in an office (if you are a summer associate). It's not obsequious to say "will do" or something like it when asked by someone who is, in effect, your boss, to do a task. If you followed "will do" with "and then please could I lick your boots?" THAT would obsequious (inter alia). As in most businesses and offices, there is a hierarchy here, and you're at the bottom. It's not a place of shame, no one thinks less of you; but your role is to be given tasks by people senior to you in experience, and to accept them.


Very impressive, bro. You managed to show that you are stupid, autistic, deluded and an insufferably bad manager in two short posts.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold
Posts: 1556
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Roger that.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:30 pm

notgreat wrote:Very impressive, bro. You managed to show that you are stupid, autistic, deluded and an insufferably bad manager in two short posts.

Sounds good

User avatar
giantswan

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby giantswan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:50 pm

I have used "sounds good" in probably a quarter of my e-mails so far. No offer?

RufusShinra

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:45 am

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby RufusShinra » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:08 am

Consider it done.

User avatar
beepboopbeep

Silver
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:39 am

notgreat wrote:Very impressive, bro. You managed to show that you are stupid, autistic, deluded and an insufferably bad manager in two short posts.

inter alia

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby rpupkin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:46 am

RufusShinra wrote:Consider it done.

I do not like "consider it done." If I'm asking you to do something, I want you to do that thing. When a junior associate responds "consider it done," they are suggesting to me that the thing is already done, and that it therefore doesn't need doing at all. I consider this a challenge to my authority.

So please do not tell me to "consider it done" when I clearly believe that the "it" is undone or underdone.
Last edited by rpupkin on Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7719
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:46 am

Aight, bet.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7719
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:I realize this isn't a serious thread, but in case anyone reading this actually wants to know, as a senior associate, what I like to receive (and what I would send myself) are:

Will do
Sure
No problem
OK

I don't think any of those sound obsequious, and I'm grateful for the response that sounds polite and tells me all I need to know.

I do not like:

Sounds good
Sounds like a plan
Got it
On it

The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it. The latter two are just too abrupt and sound like you're annoyed to be asked.


If you didn't make sure to tell us that this is a serious post, I would have assumed it was satire. "Got it" and "on it" are too abrupt and sound like the sender is annoyed, but "OK" and "Sure" are not too abrupt and convey giddiness at having received the assignment?

You kind of sound like the biglaw senior associate horror stories here: "The first two sound like you're giving me your view on the task, as though you're only doing it because you approve of it." Yea, you're supervising the juniors, but that doesn't make you their master. They are only doing it because they approve of it (although, "sounds good" and "sounds like a plan" are simply ways of saying, "Yea, I'll do it" and are not comments on the work itself). If they didn't approve of doing it, they would turn the work down. :lol:

Yea, you're a senior associate, but you still can't force anyone to do work. They still have to actually be willing to do it. You sound like a person on a power trip here.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7719
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:00 am

rpupkin wrote:
RufusShinra wrote:Consider it done.

I do not like "consider it done." If I'm asking you to do something, I want you to do that thing. When a junior associate responds "consider it done," they are suggesting to me that the thing is already done, and that it therefore doesn't need doing at all. I consider this a challenge to my authority.

So please do not tell me to "consider it done" when I clearly believe that the "it" is undone or underdone.


It is not a challenge to your authority. Rather, it is the junior's way of saying, "I am so reliable that you might as well consider anything you give to me as done because I won't let you down." They are professing their loyalty to you. You should be flattered and immediately make them your right-hand man.

However, "sounds like a plan" definitely challenges your authority and manhood. They are refusing to affirm that you, in fact, gave them an actual plan. Rather, they are only willing to admit that it sounds like a plan, but they must make the determination of whether or not it is actually a plan. This puts them in the driver seat, and it means that they are looking to cut you off at the knees. Be very wary of associates who use that response. I recommend subtly putting them in their place by not acknowledging them the next time you see them. Bonus points if you say hello to an associate standing in their general vicinity while not acknowledging them.

User avatar
Mickfromgm

Bronze
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Mickfromgm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:27 am

"Fine, motherfvck3r, have it your way" (in your best Samuel Jackson voice)

User avatar
Desert Fox

Diamond
Posts: 18290
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:25 am

(Anon senior associate giving a summer a bad review because the summer said he looks forward to working with him)
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
beepboopbeep

Silver
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: alternative to "will do" that aren't as obsequious

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:07 am

Desert Fox wrote:(Anon senior associate giving a summer a bad review because the summer said he looks forward to working with him)


well it shows that the summer a) still thinks he has agency, and b) has bad judgment, because no one looks forward to working with anon

i'd no offer tbh



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.