Cold email, do I attach a resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cold email, do I attach a resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2017 5:59 pm

I'm trying to network with a couple of alums.

Should I attach my resume to the email?

Bluem_11

Bronze

Re: Cold email, do I attach a resume?

Post by Bluem_11 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:04 pm

I think different attorneys will feel a certain way about it.

Some I talk to feel you should develop a connection first before dropping your CV.

Personally, I prefer it. I know young student from my LS is not contacting me to know how I'm doing or ask what I like about my job. I prefer to just get to the point and see if you pass our numbers test before I waste my time talking to you.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Tue May 30, 2017 6:05 pm

Are you inquiring about a job? Then yes.

If you're asking to meet for coffee or similar, no. Once (if) they agree, then you attach and say something along the lines of "I've attached a copy of my resume so you have a little more background info on me. I'm looking forward to meeting you blah blah." This has always been my approach and has worked fairly well but YMMV.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm a 3L who has a job, interested in a very unique practice group.

Does this matter any?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue May 30, 2017 7:48 pm

All YMMV I would guess. Personally I would probably prefer a student attach a resume when contacting me. I'm always happy to help but I find the conversation always goes like: "Hey, contacting you because xxxxx, would like to speak with you about your practice/working in yyyy market/whatever else, do you have time to talk over coffee/lunch/whatever" and my response always includes a line basically asking them to attach their resume so I can provide more tailored advice. (Then again, maybe that's how the conversation should go, and maybe I'd feel less inclined to help if they just attached a resume in the initial e-mail. Who knows.)
Last edited by lolwat on Wed May 31, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 30, 2017 8:48 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:Are you inquiring about a job? Then yes.

If you're asking to meet for coffee or similar, no. Once (if) they agree, then you attach and say something along the lines of "I've attached a copy of my resume so you have a little more background info on me. I'm looking forward to meeting you blah blah." This has always been my approach and has worked fairly well but YMMV.
Agree with this approach.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm trying to network with a couple of alums.

Should I attach my resume to the email?
If you are just trying to make contact, no- it's too forward. Ask to chat, and if that goes well, then send your resume. Generally speaking, I will always talk with someone who contacts me just wanting to learn about my practice - even if I know they are angling for a job. But resume spam generally gets ignored.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”