Switching Practice Group

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching Practice Group

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 28, 2017 10:51 am

Hi All,

In a bit of a pickle here. I joined a V20 firm's corporate practice recently and kinda hate it. I feel extremely fortunate to have ended up at my firm as a lateral first-year associate, but I like neither the substance of my work nor the people I work with. I'm hoping I can transfer to a different corporate practice area eventually within my firm, but I really don't have a good handle on how to go about doing this. This is probably a firm-specific inquiry to a large extent, but there's really no one at my firm with whom I feel comfortable raising this. All I know is that switches are possible.

If anyone has experience with this and can offer some advice, I'd be extremely grateful. Browsing past posts, I get the impression that the earlier one tries to transfer, the better. On the other hand, I've been with the firm for a very short time (less than 5 months), and I don't want to come off as though I haven't given my group the ole college try. A further consideration is that my sanity would appreciate me transferring sooner than later.

filibuster

Bronze

Re: Switching Practice Group

Postby filibuster » Sun May 28, 2017 11:05 am

Talk to the professional development coordinator at your firm. This is not an uncommon occurrence at my firm (NYC V100). Every year for the last three years a first year associate has switched practice groups. Last year somebody switched from corporate to litigation and this year someone is switching within corporate. I don't think it hurts to ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 28, 2017 12:00 pm

OP here. I was actually thinking about whether I should speak with the professional development coordinator, so that's very helpful. Do you by chance have a sense of how soon the first-years began inquiring about the switch?

Many thanks for the help.

filibuster

Bronze

Postby filibuster » Sun May 28, 2017 1:43 pm

The people that I knew began inquiring around 6-8 months in. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. You can feel free to PM me, OP. Best of luck.

DildaMan

Bronze

Postby DildaMan » Sun May 28, 2017 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you by chance have a sense of how soon the first-years began inquiring about the switch?

Generally, the earlier the better. If you wait too long it becomes more difficult and comes with a drop in class year. Associates are generally fungible early on.

Anecdotally, a buddy of mine went from ip lit to tech trans during his second year. He started looking 6 months into his first year.

Return to “Legal Employment�