Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10251
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 26, 2017 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:In response to the assertion that people there for 7 months getting the axe is absurd, this has been standard protocol for some time.

I understand I shot my credibility in earlier posts, but the logic is that in 2009, the firms that rescinded 3L's got a lot of slack. Dechert never made the same corrections those firms did, and have made the same mistakes repeatedly. What they found is it's easier to do it after the people start. It's a lot of salary to bite so 7 months is rare. I'm saying 3-4 months. I get there's bitterness and anger in my posts, but not one thing I said in any post has been proven wrong and almost all of them have been proven right.

I realize that part of groupthink is making an ad hominem attack at the person providing any atypical description. I don't care about that. My hope is that a family that would otherwise not have bread on the table in a year from now will because they read this post. Instead, that spot would be taken by someone who would not have had a job anyway and came into it viewing it as a week-to-week gig as they should. I don't care if you attack my credibility. I only care about doing the right thing. i realize everything I said has been proven wrong, and Dechert has never hired any first years ever. The first years in the ATL article didn't exist because there is a big scheme to troll Dechert.

Again, it's not news. It happens repeatedly. Generally, you don't worry about it because you're told that there was 1 horror story or that 10% of a given class was just terrible. This is more a case of one first year probably breaking standard protocol than a "omg first years fired". If you want evidence, what evidence would you like? I will give whatever evidence I can reasonably give. I have not spread any misinformation, and while some of it may be impacted by being personally upset, no objective fact I have given has been incorrect in any way, shape or form. Moreover, my intent in giving these facts has not been anger. It has sincerely and honestly been a desire to help people, because this has a family wide impact and when you have one company not playing by the same moral code, you have wide scale social harm that can be prevented by simply spreading awareness.


Whoa

Dude

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 1:34 am

DildaMan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I understand I shot my credibility in earlier posts, but the logic is that in 2009, the firms that rescinded 3L's got a lot of slack. Dechert never made the same corrections those firms did, and have made the same mistakes repeatedly. What they found is it's easier to do it after the people start. It's a lot of salary to bite so 7 months is rare. I'm saying 3-4 months. I get there's bitterness and anger in my posts, but not one thing I said in any post has been proven wrong and almost all of them have been proven right.

I realize that part of groupthink is making an ad hominem attack at the person providing any atypical description. I don't care about that. My hope is that a family that would otherwise not have bread on the table in a year from now will because they read this post. Instead, that spot would be taken by someone who would not have had a job anyway and came into it viewing it as a week-to-week gig as they should. I don't care if you attack my credibility. I only care about doing the right thing. i realize everything I said has been proven wrong, and Dechert has never hired any first years ever. The first years in the ATL article didn't exist because there is a big scheme to troll Dechert.


I don't understand. You might want to chill out and maybe step away from the computer for a bit. It's hard to parse.

I recognize that this is tls and that an inability to recognize sarcasm is a telltale symptom of asperger's, but seriously?

User avatar
DildaMan

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby DildaMan » Fri May 26, 2017 1:54 am

Ouch? To be fair I've never been good at picking up sarcasm from written text and you do seem to be a bit unhinged from your posting regarding the recent round of layoffs.

My sympathies to the attorneys at Dechert who have been stealthed. Hopefully they can land on their feet at a better firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 2:09 am

I disagree with you on at least one point, crazy man. I think the person that leaked to ATL did everyone laid off a favor. At personal risk to himself too.

I'm speaking from personal experience here, and it is much easier to find a job when people know that many people were laid off, than having to tell people you were laid off and being the only one. The former makes people think you were a casualty of business economics, whereas the latter points to you being defective in one way or another

If I interviewed a lateral candidate from Dechert having now read this ATL story.. based on this ATL story I'm actually not faulting them at all. Rather, I assume their group just didn't have enough work for them. If this story didn't exist, my first instinct would be negative

Thus I think this story only helps you, as someone also being laid off from Dechert, b/c it allows you to subtly "imply," or even just let an interviewer assume that it's Dechert's fault, and not yours, that you were laid off

Aside from that, you seem to be going through a lot. I've been there and landed on my feet. Keep hustling. DM me if you want

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby rpupkin » Fri May 26, 2017 4:34 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:This news sucks but there is also one really unhinged Dechert anon on here who is making it really tough to parse any real info.

User avatar
Joscellin

Gold
Posts: 1514
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Joscellin » Fri May 26, 2017 6:05 am

But they gave out such great umbrellas at callbacks...

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri May 26, 2017 8:59 am

Pomeranian wrote:Bad situation all around since now word is out that “under billers” from Dechert are on the market. Dechert is no angel, but whoever leaked hurt all the laid off employees looking for work :(.


Huh? Why would you rather be in a position where employers will justifiably assume you were awful enough that a firm had to make the rare first-year shitcanning, as opposed to being seen as someone who got fired because a specific firm apparently makes a habit of blaming first-years for not receiving enough work?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 10:33 am

Okay, I'm crazy.

The next time you're laid off as a first year the same week you learn you have cancer, and then between chemo treatments are pulled from the website a month into your three months, maybe you'll be more normal.

Especially when you're told it's your fault for not knowing you were randomly removed from the website between interviews - because there's 15 minutes here and there in a chemo session to google your name on your phone. Again, no warning you get pulled from the website. The responsibility is on you to google it.

And this is not spite one bit. I honestly just want to give other people a heads up about the kind of place this is.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri May 26, 2017 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam

Gold
Posts: 4559
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri May 26, 2017 10:43 am

It's not that you're crazy bro, it's that your posts are quite incoherent and incomprehensible. Sorry about the cancer.

User avatar
shelob

Silver
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby shelob » Fri May 26, 2017 10:53 am

I guess the answer is to not bid/interview/take offers from Dechert unless they're your only option.

This shit is absurd.

HonestAdvice

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby HonestAdvice » Fri May 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:Bad situation all around since now word is out that “under billers” from Dechert are on the market. Dechert is no angel, but whoever leaked hurt all the laid off employees looking for work :(.


Huh? Why would you rather be in a position where employers will justifiably assume you were awful enough that a firm had to make the rare first-year shitcanning, as opposed to being seen as someone who got fired because a specific firm apparently makes a habit of blaming first-years for not receiving enough work?

I think the first poster is speaking about people interviewing in their severance window, and people assuming this is why they are interviewing. You are speaking about people being better off having it known that their firings were not performance related. You're both right, but speaking about people at different stages of the process.

Night_L

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Night_L » Sun May 28, 2017 7:16 pm

Mistakenly posted this in the other thread.

I find it extraordinary that any associate would fault a laid off associate for leaking this news rather than the firm for this awful situation. It is emblematic of the veritable Stockholm syndrome that afflicts so many young associates with regard to biglaw. Here is a firm strong-arming into silence the very people it fucked over with intimidation tactics right out of racketeering organization like Scientology or the Mafia... and some here are defending this crap? Don't tell your friends or family? How is this defensible? The depravity of this firm cannot be overstated.

Beyond that, I am continuously perplexed by how large organizations delude themselves into believing they can keep certain secrets under wraps. It is 100% inevitable that someone would spill the been to ATL at some point, so all they've done is make things worse.

But ultimately it doesn't matter. I was around in ~2008 and Latham - then-reviled among law students for grossly mistreating its offerees - didn't exactly hurt for talent then or since. These firms know that they will always have their picks from an oversupply of eager law students.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Their interviewer at my school was kind of a D O U C H E.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:00 am

Dechert has been saying negative things about me after firms I interview with call, which I believe is due to my posts on here. They warned against even telling a coworker or relative that I was laid off or that they were slow. This is clearly 100x past that.

Can everyone please delete their posts or edit them to be positive and remove quotes? I'd like to have something to come back and show them. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 am

My b, didn't mean to blow up spot. DELETED.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winter is Coming

Bronze
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Winter is Coming » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:46 am

This guy is seriously paranoid, but Anon above me it's pretty messed up to abuse anon to quote something about a person's employment when they specifically asked you not to.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:57 am

Over the last two months, Dechert has laid off the only three first-year associates I knew there. All have spent under 11 months with the firm. Two in NY, one in a secondary market.


I say this only to say that unless my friends are posting in this thread (highly unlikely), what Dechert is doing/did is fucked up and probably more widespread than everyone thought. Never really hit until it happens to people you know/care about. These firms don't give a fuck about you.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:00 am

Can someone confirm whether all the Dechert anons are different people? This reads like a manifesto someone writes before they go off the deep end.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:03 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Can someone confirm whether all the Dechert anons are different people? This reads like a manifesto someone writes before they go off the deep end.

I'm the anon who posted before you. Zero ties to Dechert. Anon because my IRL is well known by my peers and I don't want to out my friends affected, for obvious reasons

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:01 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Can someone confirm whether all the Dechert anons are different people? This reads like a manifesto someone writes before they go off the deep end.

Yes, there are different people posting about Dechert. The anon who is asking people to delete stuff is the anon OP, but there are other anons with info about people getting laid off as well, who are not the OP.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Noted and fixed. unintentional.

Winter is Coming wrote: it's pretty messed up to abuse anon to quote something about a person's employment when they specifically asked you not to.

Winter is Coming

Bronze
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Winter is Coming » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Noted and fixed. unintentional.

Winter is Coming wrote: it's pretty messed up to abuse anon to quote something about a person's employment when they specifically asked you not to.


Good looks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm the OP anon, not the one that posted about the "all three first years". Generally, a firm will lay people off by giving them a bad midyear review, say "let's meet in 3 months" and then lay them off there.

The reason this is happening slower is spread out is because if a place downsizes by 20-30% and doesn't want people to know they're struggling, they'll break it up. They laid off a decent chunk straight up, have been laying off x% gradually week by week and will layoff a big percentage exactly 3 months after. That about 10-25% of associates have left voluntarily since May suggests that many had bad reviews, and knew to leave.

In the first week of August, there'll probably be another ATL story. I imagine Dechert was very upset that the May layoffs broke at ATL, which I personally think was a bad move because ATL is glorified shame blog that is only harmful to young lawyers and probably only made a firm that may have been sympathetic towards these laid off associates vindictive towards them.

In truth, the writing was on the wall the moment they let go of their director of associate development who was uniformly recognized as one of the best in the industry -- the only reason to let them go was because they didn't give a shit about associate development, which suggests the long term outlook was bleak. Shit happens, and firing first years isn't the issue. The issue is concealing the financial woes and telling everyone the first years were incompetent when there wasn't work for them when they started and then essentially threatening their reputations if they told anyone they were laid off.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Can someone confirm whether all the Dechert anons are different people? This reads like a manifesto someone writes before they go off the deep end.

Cavalier, I would appreciate it if you'd be kind enough to retract this comment.

The purpose of this thread was to state that this was not news, and would be ongoing to help those who were going to be affected mitigate their damages. Everything I said would happen has happened. I have not posted updates about continued layoffs. Those were all other posters.

I think those posts were attributed to me, which is harmful because I may have been outed and this makes me look like an obsessed nut and the only whistleblower. I am neither. I expected some blowback for warning people, which i determined to be ethically worth sacrificing something.

I would appreciate people either not posting about subsequent layoffs or prefacing their posts with "NOT OP". If it looks like i'm the only whistleblower, Dechert will have cause to be spiteful. Thank you.

redsox550

Bronze
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Postby redsox550 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Can someone confirm whether all the Dechert anons are different people? This reads like a manifesto someone writes before they go off the deep end.

Cavalier, I would appreciate it if you'd be kind enough to retract this comment.

The purpose of this thread was to state that this was not news, and would be ongoing to help those who were going to be affected mitigate their damages. Everything I said would happen has happened. I have not posted updates about continued layoffs. Those were all other posters.

I think those posts were attributed to me, which is harmful because I may have been outed and this makes me look like an obsessed nut and the only whistleblower. I am neither. I expected some blowback for warning people, which i determined to be ethically worth sacrificing something.

I would appreciate people either not posting about subsequent layoffs or prefacing their posts with "NOT OP". If it looks like i'm the only whistleblower, Dechert will have cause to be spiteful. Thank you.


guess im not doubting u, but pretty suprised the powers of be at a large firm would read posts on the forum , attribute them to people , and act spiteful becuase of them, but i guess i can beleive that



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.