Kirkland & Ellis opening a Boston office

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Kirkland & Ellis opening a Boston office

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Choate just lost head of PE and a member of its exec committee to K&E Boston today. Pretty crazy and surprising. He was widely seen as a future leader of the firm and one of the biggest rainmakers. Huge loss.

Got that $$$

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:49 pm

So where else has Latham gone into in the last few years? I guess that would tell us where Kirkland is headed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:27 pm

This will eat into ropes and gray big law market share, no? There’s only so many big law firms (like R&G’s headquarters) in Boston and i cant tell if the Kirkland new Boston Office is in response to clients they already have in the Boston area?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:07 am

yes kirkland wouldn't be in boston if it wasn't to eat up PE deal marketshare which is ropes bread and butter. The Bain relationship moving more and more towards kirkland (which I heard from a friend at ropes, btw) also probably why kirkland is in boston now. they also do advent, thl, ta, audax, summit, berkshire and abry work i believe so they may be in boston to expand those relationships.

the latham comment above is pretty dumb as Latham has no PE presence in Boston to be honest. The only team they did have moved to Sidley. The two firms are in boston for totally different reasons it appears and arent competing in the slightest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Choate just lost head of PE and a member of its exec committee to K&E Boston today. Pretty crazy and surprising. He was widely seen as a future leader of the firm and one of the biggest rainmakers. Huge loss.

found the article: https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/site ... in-boston/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:yes kirkland wouldn't be in boston if it wasn't to eat up PE deal marketshare which is ropes bread and butter. The Bain relationship moving more and more towards kirkland (which I heard from a friend at ropes, btw) also probably why kirkland is in boston now. they also do advent, thl, ta, audax, summit, berkshire and abry work i believe so they may be in boston to expand those relationships.

the latham comment above is pretty dumb as Latham has no PE presence in Boston to be honest. The only team they did have moved to Sidley. The two firms are in boston for totally different reasons it appears and arent competing in the slightest.
To be fair, the Latham team moved like two weeks ago so it is entirely understandable if people are not up to date on that.

Return to “Legal Employment?