Lawyer thinking of getting CPCU designation.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kellyfrost

Lawyer thinking of getting CPCU designation.

Postby kellyfrost » Fri May 19, 2017 7:53 pm

I am toying with the idea of attempting to earn the CPCU (Certified Property - Casualty Underwriter) designation. Achieving the designation requires completion of eight courses covering topics such as risk management, insurance operations, business law, finance and accounting, property insurance, and liability insurance.

My employer will pay for the courses and testing. There is an incentive bonus for each test completed and a bonus for achieving the designation. So this will be of no cost to me, and I actually stand to earn some money (around $5k pre tax) for doing it. Plus, this can be seen as something to help further my career, show my dedication, and if I leave my employer within 3 years of taking the course, I will be required to pay back the money they spent on me earning the designation so it could also show some longer term commitment.

I am just curious if anyone else has earned this designation or knows anything more about the process. How much study time will I need to put in outside of work? How difficult are the tests? Is it worthwhile?

Hopefully someone has something anecdotal to add to this. I am just beginning to look into it so I am hoping to learn more soon.

Anonymous User

Re: Lawyer thinking of getting CPCU designation.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Bump

Return to “Legal Employment”