Secondary Journal 3L Year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Secondary Journal 3L Year

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 11:04 am

I wasn't on a journal 2L year and was thinking about doing the write on now for 3L year. I'm at a lower t1 and looking for jobs at small/mid-sized firm or government. Looking at employment benefits v work, is this worth it?

Anonymous User

Re: Secondary Journal 3L Year

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 11:58 am

anyone?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 pm

not really an employment benefit.. but it can't really hurt, and it's a pretty easy credit

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Thu May 18, 2017 12:21 pm

It varies from journal to journal, but if you are just going to be a staff editor, the workload is probably quite light. Especially since you aren't gunning for a board position. My secondary journal said to expect 3-5 hours/week, but I doubt I spent more than 10 hours total each semester. Make sure to pick a journal with no note requirement (unless you really want to write one), as that can be a major time-sink.

As for the employment benefits, it's hard to quantify. If your resume is short on extracurriculars, go for it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 4:27 pm

worth it. not being on a journal often begs the question, why, and you don't want to have to go down that road. do it to show you can write like a decent human.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Post by FullRamboLSGrad » Fri May 19, 2017 10:14 pm

I can usually pick out who did journal and who did not when reading other lawyer's motions. I'm sure judges can too. Sometimes it distracts from the substance of the motion.

It's worth it, but don't take it too seriously. Use it to learn about some of the more boring technical side of legal writing like citations and legal style.

I did the better secondary journal at my school. Nothing impressive for a resume, but the journal was very serious about getting everything correct. I devoted maybe 30-40 hours a semester.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:18 pm

edit

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Just do it. It's a no-brainer.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Sun May 21, 2017 9:57 pm

You MUST do it, IMHO. Having "journal experience" is such a turn-on for some law firms, even if it's something like a Journal of the Erectile Dysfunction Law in South Dakota. In my experience, "journal experience" is from time to time mentioned as a big plus by firm attorneys who are advocating on your behalf.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”