Was I just trolled by my CSO?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Was I just trolled by my CSO?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 am

I tried to make an appointment for a resume critique. Appointments are made through Symplicity. I realize it is a busy time as graduation is around the corner. I made a request for an appointment and received an email saying I would be notified. Four days later, I received a reply, request denied. Is this normal or did someone look up my resume on file and think "Nope. This person is beyond help?"

Anonymous User

Re: Was I just trolled by my CSO?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I tried to make an appointment for a resume critique. Appointments are made through Symplicity. I realize it is a busy time as graduation is around the corner. I made a request for an appointment and received an email saying I would be notified. Four days later, I received a reply, request denied. Is this normal or did someone look up my resume on file and think "Nope. This person is beyond help?"

Send me your resume and I will give you a critique. Send it now.

malibustacy

Postby malibustacy » Thu May 18, 2017 1:54 am

Couldn't you literally ask them directly instead of posting anonymously on some internet forum?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 18, 2017 8:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I tried to make an appointment for a resume critique. Appointments are made through Symplicity. I realize it is a busy time as graduation is around the corner. I made a request for an appointment and received an email saying I would be notified. Four days later, I received a reply, request denied. Is this normal or did someone look up my resume on file and think "Nope. This person is beyond help?"

Send me your resume and I will give you a critique. Send it now.

No one can send you anything when you're anonymous.

OP, was it a thing like where you identify a bunch of potential times for appointments? They may just not have had any available? I would just call them directly.

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu May 18, 2017 9:29 am

No, you weren't trolled. They probably just weren't available during the timeslot on the online portal, which resulted in a sort of abrupt-feeling denial. I'd probably just email whatever CSO person is assigned to you and give them a range of days/times you are available to meet. Attach a copy of resume to email and they can get started.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 am

That's not a troll.

My first appointment was with a counselor who suggested that as a non-trad I probably wouldn't do very well in school and might want to consider dropping out. This was in 1L December before I'd even taken an exam.

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Thu May 18, 2017 10:09 am

albanach wrote:That's not a troll.

My first appointment was with a counselor who suggested that as a non-trad I probably wouldn't do very well in school and might want to consider dropping out. This was in 1L December before I'd even taken an exam.

I've heard similar things, that non-traditional students don't do as well at academics, but they do pretty well at job placement.

Sounds like you go to a shitty school though.

Npret

Postby Npret » Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 am

albanach wrote:That's not a troll.

That is ridiculous. I've heard of bad advice but it is usually being too optimistic about a student's chances.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 am

Wipfelder wrote:
I've heard similar things, that non-traditional students don't do as well at academics, but they do pretty well at job placement.

I went to a great school, with a great careers office. Fortunately that counselor, who was definitely an anomaly, is no longer there.

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Thu May 18, 2017 1:05 pm

albanach wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

I went to a great school, with a great careers office. Fortunately that counselor, who was definitely an anomaly, is no longer there.

There is justice!

Return to “Legal Employment”