Working at a Think Tank out of law school?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working at a Think Tank out of law school?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any input/suggestions/experience working at a think tank out of law school? What are the benefits/drawbacks to a position like "legal analyst" and does it help if that position requires a JD? What about a policy position? How would this compare to working on the hill? I understand this might make it more difficult to get into litigation later, but other than that what are the drawbacks? Is low pay the main issue?

Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous User

Re: Working at a Think Tank out of law school?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 4:32 pm

speaking as someone two years out of law school doing compliance work, not practicing law, I'd say it highly highly depends. what specifically will you be doing? are you a glorified secretary or will you actually be doing any legal analysis/looking at regulations/etc?

some people here will convince you that you're doomed if you take a non traditional job after law school but that's not the case. I've had many interviews and I'm a pretty competitive candidate because I've been exposed to A LOT in-house that I wouldn't have if I was just a fresh associate at a law firm, and I still use my legal background.

lots of attorneys work on the hill/do policy work. I wouldn't be worried.

Return to “Legal Employment”