How to handle summer associateship clashing with externship interview offers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to handle summer associateship clashing with externship interview offers?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 7:20 pm

I have two externship interview offers from judges in New York but neither are available after-hours. The interviews clash with my summer associate position (also in New York), which starts on Monday. Is there a good way to ask my firm for a couple hours off (twice) during the first and/or second week of my associateship?

Npret

Gold

Re: How to handle summer associateship clashing with externship interview offers?

Post by Npret » Tue May 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have two externship interview offers from judges in New York but neither are available after-hours. The interviews clash with my summer associate position (also in New York), which starts on Monday. Is there a good way to ask my firm for a couple hours off (twice) during the first and/or second week of my associateship?
Just tell them what it's for I guess. Normally I would say just go but the first week or two might be filled with events.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Re: How to handle summer associateship clashing with externship interview offers?

Post by Vincent Adultman » Tue May 16, 2017 9:29 pm

You should absolutely not ask for time off.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Martin Brody wrote:You should absolutely not ask for time off.
Yeah I get that. I was thinking this was for a school related thing so it might be ok. I wouldn't have asked for any time off.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue May 16, 2017 9:33 pm

What are your time constraints on interviewing for the externship? Is there a deadline where you have to get the interview done, or can you push it to later in the summer/following your SA? If the judges are willing to interview in August and your SRO doesn't need the externship established early, I'd try to push the interviews back. Externships are great, but showing commitment to your future employer is better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue May 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Don't you nyc folks start at like 9:30 or later in the morning? See if they can do it in the morning. Or explain the situation to the clerks or whoever you are corresponding with... i.e. "I am really interested in this position and would love to interview with you, but unfortunately, I am unable to get off work given it is my first or second week of my SA, is there anything we can do to try and accommodate the interview?"

Or, just ask to come in an hour late one day and schedule it in the morning/ or during lunch?

I really don't think it will be a big deal if you had to take an hour off to accommodate the interview, just be tactful about it.

ThisLawyerLife

New

Post by ThisLawyerLife » Tue May 16, 2017 9:45 pm

Assuming you're at a firm with a formalized summer program, you'll get some kind of schedule your first day. The first few days are usually full of trainings, lunches, and other events, but I bet you can find a time in the second week to come in later or take a long lunch in order to do the interviews. But talk to your assigned mentor or the summer program coordinator. They can let you know for sure whether this is acceptable. Would it be ideal to wait until after your summer program ends? Sure, but I don't think this is a huge deal.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Tue May 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Oh I misread that it was for an interview. I thought this was long term. Don't do it the first week but you should be able to find time once you get officially oriented.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”