Thoughts about getting online MBA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thoughts about getting online MBA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Junior corporate at V50 law firm in major market. I didn't do the JD/MBA because my school had a 4 year program. I am thinking about making the move in-house after another year of experience, but would eventually like to move to business side or at least do both.

Would getting an online MBA from a top 30 school do anything? I don't want to go full time and don't have the flexibility to do part time at a M7 with a hectic big law schedule. Assume total cost under $25k, is it worth trying?

UMich11

Bronze

Re: Thoughts about getting online MBA

Postby UMich11 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:33 pm

not worth the money. Although I don't have an MBA (personally think it's a waste of money) so take this with a grain of salt, but my background is in business/finance. If anything, do a weekend program in your local market if you really want to get one. Some places like Michigan/Harvard and I think Booth do programs where it's just on the weekends over a few year period. I know you're thinking of going in-house in the near term, but if you start the program now, that might be a bigger signal to prospective employers that your serious about it, than an online degree from a "top 30 school.

As much as lawyers/law students perform mental masturbation about how prestigious their school is, your MBA is really only going to be worth much if it's a top 5, maybe 10 school, depending on what you want to do. An MBA is great if you're looking for a career pivot, but it's pretty much just a degree to network.

What type of the "Business side" are you looking to get involved with? I can probably point you to some books that will be just as useful. As an aside, start listening to the HBS Podcast and pull up the Harvard Business Review website and read some of their articles in your free time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2017 4:45 pm

UMich11 wrote:not worth the money. Although I don't have an MBA (personally think it's a waste of money) so take this with a grain of salt, but my background is in business/finance. If anything, do a weekend program in your local market if you really want to get one. Some places like Michigan/Harvard and I think Booth do programs where it's just on the weekends over a few year period. I know you're thinking of going in-house in the near term, but if you start the program now, that might be a bigger signal to prospective employers that your serious about it, than an online degree from a "top 30 school.

As much as lawyers/law students perform mental masturbation about how prestigious their school is, your MBA is really only going to be worth much if it's a top 5, maybe 10 school, depending on what you want to do. An MBA is great if you're looking for a career pivot, but it's pretty much just a degree to network.

What type of the "Business side" are you looking to get involved with? I can probably point you to some books that will be just as useful. As an aside, start listening to the HBS Podcast and pull up the Harvard Business Review website and read some of their articles in your free time.

Thanks. The online school would at least be a major school in my market. I have looked at the schools you mentioned, but their weekend programs are still around $6,000 per credit. Which just doesn't seem worth it.

I do PE/M&A and would ideally move to a PE/VC fund.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 10:37 am

bump

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue May 16, 2017 11:11 am

I think you are better off devoting the time and energy to building your practice.

There's really not that much that an MBA would teach you that you couldn't pick up more efficiently on the job. The MBA is just a credential, but your current firm won't care, and future employers aren't likely to care about it nearly as much as your experience. The only way I see an MBA making sense at this point is if you want to leave the law. Then, quit and do an M7 MBA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 11:19 am

I'm a JD/MBA, and after going through both, I can't imagine a time when someone in your situation should get an online MBA.

Online MBA seems valuable to me in 2 cases:

1. You're never gonna be able to get into a top program
2. You don't have time to take off work
3. It's for a promotion, specifically, and the brand of the school doesn't matter

Otherwise, the whole point of the MBA is your classmates and the alumni, and doing it online eliminates 95% of that. The MBA is also your future career change card, where it isn't crazy to pivot via an MBA, but could be tough to do so as a lawyer who just doesn't want to be a lawyer anymore.

ETA: and the stuff in the classroom, knowledge wise, is nothing you can't get from reading books and listening to podcasts.

Return to “Legal Employment�