What are you going to do with you SA $$$?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What are you going to do with you SA $$$?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2017 1:35 am

Feel free to share here!

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: What are you going to do with you SA $$$?

Postby rpupkin » Mon May 15, 2017 1:55 am

Make a huge donation to the "Trump 2020" campaign!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2017 2:26 am

Save, spend, and travel at the end of the summer

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 15, 2017 11:37 am

Invest it all in lottery tickets. Turn five digits into nine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2017 4:45 pm

anyone else planning on getting an equinox membership just for the summer?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon May 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone else planning on getting an equinox membership just for the summer?

Are you on a full ride and I s your 3L CoL $0? I'm spending all my SA money on 3L rent, books, food and shit.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon May 15, 2017 6:01 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone else planning on getting an equinox membership just for the summer?

Are you on a full ride and I s your 3L CoL $0? I'm spending all my SA money on 3L rent, books, food and shit.

Maxing out retirement accounts and saving the rest, because liquidity and refinancing. Also putting $2,500 towards paying down interest on student loans.
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Mon May 15, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ernie

Bronze

Postby ernie » Mon May 15, 2017 6:02 pm

I blew my SA money on trips and booze and lots of Seamless. Was fun while it lasted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 2:48 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:

good point. guess I'll be working out in central park.

I'm also curious as to whether anyone else has familial obligations? like putting some money aside to help out your parents?

axel.foley

Bronze

Postby axel.foley » Tue May 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

I'm also curious as to whether anyone else has familial obligations? like putting some money aside to help out your parents?

Yeah, I'll definitely be helping my parents out as much as I can. I also have to budget for an engagement ring...

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Tue May 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Maxing out retirement accounts and saving the rest

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 3:44 pm

axel.foley wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

Yeah, I'll definitely be helping my parents out as much as I can. I also have to budget for an engagement ring...

You can't afford it:

https://www.easycalculation.com/other/g ... lation.php

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 5:50 pm

I bought a puppy and had a super-fun 3L. I recommend you do the same.

For reals! It was awesome. Trained her up nice and good and she is perfect. Yes, I now spend a fortune on dogwalkers/day care/law students to hang out with her, but...she's the best thing about coming home from a long day in biglaw.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Tue May 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I bought a puppy and had a super-fun 3L. I recommend you do the same.

For reals! It was awesome. Trained her up nice and good and she is perfect. Yes, I now spend a fortune on dogwalkers/day care/law students to hang out with her, but...she's the best thing about coming home from a long day in biglaw.

anon...?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Tue May 16, 2017 9:55 pm

KMart wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I bought a puppy and had a super-fun 3L. I recommend you do the same.

anon...?

Worried the sex of a puppy obtained during 3L year would out them. Cause no 3Ls get female puppies nationwide.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue May 16, 2017 10:01 pm

axel.foley wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

Did this pre-law school. I now feel silly that my SO's ring is less than two week's SA pay. She's pretty happy though. #blessed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 10:04 pm

I will save around15k and spend the rest on drinks, food, something nice for the missus and a long domestic vacation in August

axel.foley

Bronze

Postby axel.foley » Wed May 17, 2017 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
axel.foley wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

You can't afford it:

https://www.easycalculation.com/other/g ... lation.php

According to this, a typical 1st year associate should be spending 49k on the ring. Even the "lost cost" option is 33k... That is the craziest and most unrealistic thing I have ever heard.

Return to “Legal Employment�