Post-Clerkship Hiring/Grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post-Clerkship Hiring/Grades

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 12:04 pm

How much will a 3L grade drop hurt me once I'm looking for firm jobs post-clerkship?

1L and 2L I was probably in roughly the top 3-4% of CCNMVP, after 3L I'm not entirely sure where I'll be but a safe guess is more like 7-8%. My D. Ct. clerkship is of the EDNY/NDIL/CDCA/D. Mass tier and my CoA clerkship is for a non-feeder on 1/3/4/11.

Would I still be safe mostly targeting Kellogg/W&C/Susman etc. type firms (both my judges have clerk alumni at most of that level of firm), or do I need to set my sights lower now?

Jchance

Silver

Re: Post-Clerkship Hiring/Grades

Postby Jchance » Sun May 14, 2017 1:19 pm

If your school has Coif, and as long as you're safely Coif, you're good. Magna is obviously better, but not needed.

If your school doesn't have Coif, reach for the next honors cutoff if it's within reach.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Let's say my school does year by year honors, and I got the highest honors for 1L and 2L, but 3L I'll only get the second highest honors designation. What's the assessment then?

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun May 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let's say my school does year by year honors, and I got the highest honors for 1L and 2L, but 3L I'll only get the second highest honors designation. What's the assessment then?

This probably depends on the combination of (1) which of CCNMVP you attended, (2) where exactly within those honors designations you landed, (3) which of those clerkships you have, (4) the market your targeting, (5) the firm where you spent your 2L summer, (6) your interviewing ability, and (7) maybe even your pre-LS experience. Depending on those factors, I could see you still being competitive for top litigation boutiques like those you mentioned. But why not just cast a wide net and target those firms along with others? There can't be more than five or ten top litigation boutiques in the mold of Susman/Kellogg/etc., so apply to those and then a handful of BigLaw firms as "safeties."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2017 12:40 pm

Yeah, I guess wait and see when I have to apply is the only thing to do. Bit bummed I dropped the ball this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2017 4:18 pm

I don't think 3L grades matter much for post clerk hiring. Granted, I was in a unique spot. I graduated 5+ years ago from H somewhere around median. I got an LP 3L year. I got a COA clerkship 3+ years out, and I had 1 person make a joke about it during interviews. I didn't start applying in Earnest to firms until like May (was holding out for USAO), and had 2 offers by Mid-June.

1 was V50, but it was the biggest firm in its home city. The other was V95 and only hired former clerks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Yeah 3+ years out makes a big difference. I was more asking as someone clerking right after law school.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue May 16, 2017 1:07 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Let's say my school does year by year honors, and I got the highest honors for 1L and 2L, but 3L I'll only get the second highest honors designation. What's the assessment then?

This probably depends on the combination of (1) which of CCNMVP you attended, (2) where exactly within those honors designations you landed, (3) which of those clerkships you have, (4) the market your targeting, (5) the firm where you spent your 2L summer, (6) your interviewing ability, and (7) maybe even your pre-LS experience. Depending on those factors, I could see you still being competitive for top litigation boutiques like those you mentioned. But why not just cast a wide net and target those firms along with others? There can't be more than five or ten top litigation boutiques in the mold of Susman/Kellogg/etc., so apply to those and then a handful of BigLaw firms as "safeties."

(1) and (5) don't matter.

JakeTappers

New

Postby JakeTappers » Tue May 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think 3L grades matter much for post clerk hiring. Granted, I was in a unique spot. I graduated 5+ years ago from H somewhere around median. I got an LP 3L year. I got a COA clerkship 3+ years out, and I had 1 person make a joke about it during interviews. I didn't start applying in Earnest to firms until like May (was holding out for USAO), and had 2 offers by Mid-June.

1 was V50, but it was the biggest firm in its home city. The other was V95 and only hired former clerks.

I am currently in a similar position - in a D.Ct. clerkship, about to go to CoA clerkship, with not incredible grades from MVP (but a stellar first half, or so). I also am doing this solely with intention of USAO. Care to detail your search (via pm or otherwise)? Given the little amount of success I am hearing, as well as turnover, administrative upheaval, etc., I am thinking I will need to go back to a firm. But the not applying until May thing seems like a gamble. Probably could go back to my old firm with little notice but I doubt a bonus.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 7:31 am

JakeTappers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't think 3L grades matter much for post clerk hiring. Granted, I was in a unique spot. I graduated 5+ years ago from H somewhere around median. I got an LP 3L year. I got a COA clerkship 3+ years out, and I had 1 person make a joke about it during interviews. I didn't start applying in Earnest to firms until like May (was holding out for USAO), and had 2 offers by Mid-June.

I am currently in a similar position - in a D.Ct. clerkship, about to go to CoA clerkship, with not incredible grades from MVP (but a stellar first half, or so). I also am doing this solely with intention of USAO. Care to detail your search (via pm or otherwise)? Given the little amount of success I am hearing, as well as turnover, administrative upheaval, etc., I am thinking I will need to go back to a firm. But the not applying until May thing seems like a gamble. Probably could go back to my old firm with little notice but I doubt a bonus.

I'll message you when I get off from work. I'm just tagging this now so I don't forget.

Return to “Legal Employment�