Commuting during clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Commuting during clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 9:23 am

Hello -- I wasn't sure if this should go under judicial clerkship or legal employment, so apologies in advance for putting it in the wrong forum.

I will be clerking in a district court this coming fall, and I am looking to move to the clerkship city. However, my district court is notoriously busy (although less busy than big law of course; I heard the usual hours spent in the chamber is 8:30am-8pm with remote work sometimes during weekends) and it's located in an exceptionally high COL area. I've done some math, and my take home, after taxes and some loan payment, it very very sad.

The city also happens to be very strict with leasing requirements, and subleases that I have seen so far all seem uncertain and not entirely legal either. I've spoken to some friends about roommate possibility but none of them is as financially restricted as I am, so they are getting pickier with apartments, leading to an apartment that is far more expensive than what I'd like to pay.

There is an apartment available that I found through a friend that is amazingly priced, but it's an 1 hour commute away from the courthouse. I am wondering if any clerks in a similarly busy court has done a 1 hour commute (one way) and whether this is something that I can make it work for next year.

Any advice is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Commuting during clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 1:21 pm

bump -- anyone?

Jchance

Silver

Postby Jchance » Sun May 14, 2017 1:26 pm

It's doable but it's going to be a shitty year. This is a personal decision, I don't think anyone here has much to contribute. Personally, I wouldn't want to sign up for this.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:32 pm

I also wouldn't want to do this, although I could probably do it for a year (def not long term).

Jchance

Silver

Postby Jchance » Sun May 14, 2017 1:37 pm

You should also keep in mind that most people who end up hating their jobs realize way later that it was the commute stress that contributed to their hatred for the job. Clerking should be a fun year, and living close to the job helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 1:59 pm

For my clerkship, my commute was approximately 1 hour each way. My fiancee was in school at the time, and so we lived in an area that was a shorter commute for her.

A one hour commute is doable, but the nature of your commute (and not only the length) is an important consideration. My commute was by car on a very nice highway with only a little traffic, so the commute itself resulted in little or no stress. I listened to the radio/podcasts, and actually came to enjoy the drive.

Had the commute been one hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic, I'm not sure I could have done it.

Your hours are also a lot worse than mine were. I worked 8:30 to 5:30, and could leave for work at 7:30am and get home by 6:30pm. This left me several hours in the evening to relax/hang out with my fiancee. You will have to leave for work by 7:30am and won't get home until 9pm, which doesn't leave you much time to relax in the evenings. For that reason alone, I would try to live closer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Bumping this just looking for general insight from CoA clerks since I have an interview coming up and haven't faced this situation before. Basically, if I was able to secure an offer, my duty station would be around 70-80 miles outside the nearest small city. My fiancé would likely try to secure employment there while I commute back and forth and we'd prob try to live closer to that city than my duty station. Obviously, I'm thinking about the toll an hour plus of highway driving each way would take over the course of the clerkship and would broach the judge's flexibility concerning my commute at or after any offer is extended. I don't have a sense of the rhythm of a CoA chambers as compared to my always busy/must be present district court, but is it the case that clerks have more flexibility in terms of being present in chambers, etc.? Although I can't be certain, it seems like the CoA clerks where I clerked were around closer to the sittings involving their cases and it gave the impression that they might not be in chambers everyday.

gregfootball2001

Bronze

Postby gregfootball2001 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote: I heard the usual hours spent in the chamber is 8:30am-8pm

Anonymous User wrote: it's an 1 hour commute away from the courthouse.

Are you sure this is right? Arriving at 8:30 would seem to put you in rush hour (which could take a long time), while leaving at 8pm would typically put you after traffic (much less time). Is it an hour in rush hour, or an hour without traffic?

bruinfan10

Silver

Postby bruinfan10 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:17 pm

I clerked ND Cal for a very high profile judge and had easily an hour to an hour 20 minutes door to door commute every day. You think I could live in SF proper on a second year clerk's salary? lol. Just had to be done. I was pretty efficient though and made it work. It's certainly not impossible and it's really the only option for people who aren't affluent and/or are unable for family reasons to live with three roommates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this just looking for general insight from CoA clerks since I have an interview coming up and haven't faced this situation before. Basically, if I was able to secure an offer, my duty station would be around 70-80 miles outside the nearest small city. My fiancé would likely try to secure employment there while I commute back and forth and we'd prob try to live closer to that city than my duty station. Obviously, I'm thinking about the toll an hour plus of highway driving each way would take over the course of the clerkship and would broach the judge's flexibility concerning my commute at or after any offer is extended. I don't have a sense of the rhythm of a CoA chambers as compared to my always busy/must be present district court, but is it the case that clerks have more flexibility in terms of being present in chambers, etc.? Although I can't be certain, it seems like the CoA clerks where I clerked were around closer to the sittings involving their cases and it gave the impression that they might not be in chambers everyday.

Depends on the CoA judge but, in general, you are correct that there is not much need to be in chambers at a certain time, except for sittings. Work flow, daily/monthly schedule, hours, etc. are all questions that you should be asking the clerks during the interview.

Return to “Legal Employment?