Need to take leave for week+ personal reasons....advice needed

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need to take leave for week+ personal reasons....advice needed

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2017 10:47 pm

I started as a first year lawyer at a mid-sized firm two months ago.

A personal issue came up and need to head out of town. Could be just for a few days, but it may be over a week. I'm still in training obviously, and talk to my supervising partner almost daily to go over my work.

Kinda worried about being out of office so much so early on (I already too two days vacation in this time period) but I can likely work remotely during a lot of time I'm away.

Am I overthinking this? Or would this be perceived very poorly? Any advice on how to proceed?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Need to take leave for week+ personal reasons....advice needed

Postby rpupkin » Sat May 13, 2017 12:53 am

It's actually easier for a firm to accommodate an absence for a new associate. Because you're just starting, the firm isn't really depending on you for anything.

I wouldn't be worried at all about taking time off for a personal issue. (I'm assuming, by the way, that the "personal issue" is something serious--like a the death of a family member.)
Last edited by rpupkin on Sat May 13, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Sat May 13, 2017 12:54 am

It's probably better to take off. You're really asking 2 questions. Will it reflect badly on me, and would it be better to just push through?

It will probably reflect badly you on you to take off, but the worst case scenario is it looks like you're not that hardworking. That's easy to fix, because if they see you at the office late again and again, that perception will change.

If you're distracted and turn it lesser work than you would if you weren't distracted, you may not have the same opportunity to change that perception. Whether you're hardworking is only relevant if people want to give you work. It's also doubtful that they'll fire you for personal time because they may think you're having some kind of mental issue.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:39 am

I mean I wouldn't do it as an aspiring lawyer, but probably won't be a big deal in the long run

sundance95

Gold

Postby sundance95 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:20 am

Christ almighty, what sort of advice is being given out here?

Listen to rpupkin. You're not integrated in a matter yet, it's okay (as long as we're talking death or something similar). Just be upfront and folks will understand.

By the way, if you *were* integrated and a close family member died, it'd still be ok. Draw some fucking boundaries folks.

Return to “Legal Employment�