Mid-law compensation questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mid-law compensation questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2017 11:32 am

I'm going to keep this vague so I don't get outed. I have an offer from a mid-sized law firm in a large city. It says that compensation starts at $165k, and there are performance reviews once a year, on Jan 1st. Compensation is "subject to adjustment" based on annual performance reviews.

I want to ask HR "what is the typical annual compensation adjustment, assuming that an associate has average or above average performance?" However, I don't know if this question is appropriate, or if it may come off as too pushy

The information is not available on vault or ball. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

Jchance

Silver

Re: Mid-law compensation questions

Postby Jchance » Fri May 12, 2017 11:39 am

I'd say its a fair question to ask, not sure about appropriateness. Though I highly suspect that HR won't tell you that information, citing confidentiality or perhaps a more lawyerly response like "it depends, on a case-by-case basis."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2017 11:46 am

Jchance wrote:I'd say its a fair question to ask, not sure about appropriateness. Though I highly suspect that HR won't tell you that information, citing confidentiality or perhaps a more lawyerly response like "it depends, on a case-by-case basis."

Work at a firm similar to the one in question, and summered at another. My comp is close ish to $165

this is correct, almost 0 chance they say anything useful

Typical raise if you are "on track" is $5k, especially earlier on. This was the case at both of my similar such firms, and from everything I've heard, $5k/year is pretty much industry standard practice. I think you would need to do something extraordinary to get more than that, and similarly be very bad to get less

Jchance

Silver

Postby Jchance » Fri May 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Typical raise if you are "on track" is $5k, especially earlier on. This was the case at both of my similar such firms, and from everything I've heard, $5k/year is pretty much industry standard practice. I think you would need to do something extraordinary to get more than that, and similarly be very bad to get less

I agree that raise is normally $5k/year, sometime 10k/year.

But I question whether your salary would ever decrease due to being "very bad." That is because you would get the boot instead. It's a buyer's market for law firms and there seem to be plenty of lateral movement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Jchance wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Typical raise if you are "on track" is $5k, especially earlier on. This was the case at both of my similar such firms, and from everything I've heard, $5k/year is pretty much industry standard practice. I think you would need to do something extraordinary to get more than that, and similarly be very bad to get less

I agree that raise is normally $5k/year, sometime 10k/year.

But I question whether your salary would ever decrease due to being "very bad." That is because you would get the boot instead. It's a buyer's market for law firms and there seem to be plenty of lateral movement.

By "less," I didn't mean decrease, I meant more like you'd get maybe a $0-$2k raise or something, e.g., if either your billables were significantly below target, or your collections were putting you close to the red

TBH I feel like you have to do something extraordinarily bad to get fired around here. Like blow multiple filing deadlines or something. My group has lost 0 attorneys voluntarily or otherwise for a few years running.

It certainly doesn't have the feel of a "vault" firm (i'd call where I work "regional Biglaw") or whatever where it's more like "Hit 2k hours or GTFO" (which I also worked at).

Bluem_11

Bronze

Postby Bluem_11 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Not sure this is a question HR will answer. Seems more a question you'll get something straight from being buddy buddy with a partner.

Return to “Legal Employment�