Quinn 3L Hiring w/o SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Quinn 3L Hiring w/o SA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Hey all,

I'm 1/3ish at MVP (barring a disaster this semester) and generally on the public interest track (both 1L & 2L internships are PI) but not completely opposed to biglaw. In researching plaintiff's firms I was reminded that Quinn does some plaintiff-side work. Was thinking of mass-mailing them later this summer but wondering if lack of SA or grades are a total killer.

mercymainbtw

Bronze

Re: Quinn 3L Hiring w/o SA

Postby mercymainbtw » Thu May 11, 2017 9:25 pm

I wouldn't

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:36 pm

I can say from experience that top-third at MVP isn't an auto-ding, though it depends very much on the office (LA isn't going to happen). However, during CB they asked me all about my experience at my 2L SA, why I wanted to switch, etc. They're kind of prestige-focused despite the jeans and sandals, so I'd say the no-SA thing could be a killer unless you did something baller during your 2L summer. And to be fair, half of the reason they do 3L hiring is that they figure other firms will already do the vetting and socialization for them, and that's why they pay the $25k to switch firms. In you're case that logic doesn't really apply, so it'll be an uphill battle.

mercymainbtw

Bronze

Postby mercymainbtw » Thu May 11, 2017 9:45 pm

They're paying people 25k to bail on an offer from another firm? lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks cron!

sundance95

Gold

Postby sundance95 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:29 am

mercymainbtw wrote:They're paying people 25k to bail on an offer from another firm? lol

Not enough

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Postby Mickfromgm » Sat May 13, 2017 8:42 am

In my humble opinion, top ⅓ of MVP doesn't kill it. But 2 summers at PI (I imagine you also have other stuff on your resume indicating your dedication to, or strong interest in, PI) will be your undoing. They know you wouldn't want to work at Quinn or any other BigLaw over the long term. Believe me, that's how they think. I am sure they'd take a flyer if you are HYS law review or something, but perhaps not ⅓ of MVP. In any event, I am not sure why you are even asking the question -- just email the resume and see what happens -- maybe they'd want to groom the future Director of Pro Bono. :) But seriously, you need to think about how to address the PI issue at any private firm interview; you'll be asked for sure.

EDIT: Oops, by "PI" do you mean personal injury or public interest? The public interest track thing got me confused, but you also said plaintiff-side.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 13, 2017 9:26 am

Got it. Yes, just to clarify, PI=public interest. By plaintiff's firms I'm referring mostly to public-interesty class-action firms that do things like sue over corporate fraud, civil rights violations etc. And yes, I will probably throw an app. Other than LA do you think any other office is out (too competitive) like the person above?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 13, 2017 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got it. Yes, just to clarify, PI=public interest. By plaintiff's firms I'm referring mostly to public-interesty class-action firms that do things like sue over corporate fraud, civil rights violations etc. And yes, I will probably throw an app. Other than LA do you think any other office is out (too competitive) like the person above?

NY is your best bet.

QE's p side work isn't like hagens berman or other shops really. mainly securities and antitrust work, along with other p side breach of contract/some shareholder suit stuff. none of the civil rights stuff and no personal injury stuff because it would conflict with their mass torts defense practice.

if you're PI minded, I think QE would be a very very poor fit.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:49 am

The other occasional plaintiff-side thing they do is IP. And they will hire some ppl without technical backgrounds. But, it's hard to convince someone you're suddenly interested in IP/tech stuff with no demonstrated record. On the other hand, if the PI stuff you did was like EFF, or if you're writing a note on patents, then the Silicon Valley office may be a possibility. I still think uphill battle w/no firm, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat May 13, 2017 10:53 am

Honestly, with your interests you'd be better off at a more traditional biglaw firm with a good pro bono program than a place like Quinn. Just doing plaintiff work does not mean you're on the side of justice. They do plaintiff work because and only to the extent that it's lucrative.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Postby lawlorbust » Sat May 13, 2017 10:56 am

mercymainbtw wrote:They're paying people 25k to bail on an offer from another firm? lol

5K cheaper than having you as an SA :P

lawlorbust

Bronze

Postby lawlorbust » Sat May 13, 2017 10:58 am

cron1834 wrote:The other occasional plaintiff-side thing they do is IP. And they will hire some ppl without technical backgrounds. But, it's hard to convince someone you're suddenly interested in IP/tech stuff with no demonstrated record. On the other hand, if the PI stuff you did was like EFF, or if you're writing a note on patents, then the Silicon Valley office may be a possibility. I still think uphill battle w/no firm, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Dude? The plaintiff-side thing that they're probably now most known for is suing big banks.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:23 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
cron1834 wrote:The other occasional plaintiff-side thing they do is IP. And they will hire some ppl without technical backgrounds. But, it's hard to convince someone you're suddenly interested in IP/tech stuff with no demonstrated record. On the other hand, if the PI stuff you did was like EFF, or if you're writing a note on patents, then the Silicon Valley office may be a possibility. I still think uphill battle w/no firm, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Dude? The plaintiff-side thing that they're probably now most known for is suing big banks.

Um, that's why I said it's an "other" "occasional" thing they do. But thanks.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Sat May 13, 2017 1:59 pm

sundance95 wrote:

Not enough

It's actually 35k.

ernie

Bronze

Postby ernie » Sat May 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:QE's p side work isn't like hagens berman or other shops really. mainly securities and antitrust work, along with other p side breach of contract/some shareholder suit stuff. none of the civil rights stuff and no personal injury stuff because it would conflict with their mass torts defense practice.

Quinn did the stop and frisk class action in NYC.

malibustacy

Bronze

Postby malibustacy » Sat May 13, 2017 5:10 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Not enough

It's actually 35k.

Plus the cost of events, meals, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 13, 2017 6:18 pm

QE is not a good fit if you want to do plaintiffs' work. I would find a real plaintiffs' firm - your credentials will be fine for most of them (not places like Altshuler Berzon, but most good plaintiffs' firms), you will get better experience and training and not hate your life, and there's a nonzero chance you'll get to wear jeans to work every day anyways.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

ernie wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:QE's p side work isn't like hagens berman or other shops really. mainly securities and antitrust work, along with other p side breach of contract/some shareholder suit stuff. none of the civil rights stuff and no personal injury stuff because it would conflict with their mass torts defense practice.

Quinn did the stop and frisk class action in NYC.

Which one? The famous one was Debevoise but those are mainly run by non-profits, not firms.

I believe Covington did one as well.

Either way, this is not an active practice area at Quinn.

Return to “Legal Employment?