How Should 1L's format resumes for summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Should 1L's format resumes for summer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 2:48 pm

1L here. I will be splitting my summer as a summer associate at a big firm and a law clerk at a Fortune 100 company. I don't start for a little over a week. However, I need to submit my resume for pre-OCI checks and mock interviews for a different program by today. I was told that you should put your summer job on your resume even if you don't know your official duties yet. So how should I format my resume to include my summer jobs that I haven't started yet? Thanks in advance!!

swampman

Bronze

Re: How Should 1L's format resumes for summer

Postby swampman » Thu May 11, 2017 2:59 pm

Same as you would any other job, but without a description of duties. The dates will be in the future, obviously. You can put "expected" if you want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 3:10 pm

swampman wrote:Same as you would any other job, but without a description of duties. The dates will be in the future, obviously. You can put "expected" if you want.

Thank you. That's what I have now, but I wanted to make sure. I just have it as "Summer 2017" rather than dates. Also, when is it acceptable to add the job(s) to my Linkedin (random question, I know). The day I start?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu May 11, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Thu May 11, 2017 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you. That's what I have bow, but I wanted to make sure. I just have it as "Summer 2017" rather than dates. Also, when is it acceptable to add the job(s) to my Linkedin (random question, I know). The day I start?

Summer 2017 is fine even after you finish this summer. It looks nicer than months on your resume, and I don't think anyone at OCI is going to care if you started in May or in June.

LinkedIn will only show the month you began working so it doesn't really matter, but it's probably better form to just wait until you actually start.

Return to “Legal Employment�